You are not logged in.

#1 17-05-04 20:10:22

crazymaddriver

dyslexic learner drivers

hi all

could anyone please tell me if there is anything out there to help me teach a dyslexic driver.  I had a new pupil start today and she is dyslexic with writting and left and right numbers are ok with her.  Is there any reading or advice that anyone could give me to make the learning process a little easier for her, she is very determined.

thanks

17-05-04 20:10:22

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: dyslexic learner drivers

#2 17-05-04 21:14:12

Bull on edge
Verified Member
Website

Hi Crazy

When giving directions, point with your  hand as you direct. The examiner will do this if requested when he asks about disabilities at the start of the test.  He should also refrain from asking pupil to follow a certain road by name or destination.

Our local SE and examiners recommend putting an L and R on the wheel and on either side of the back seat for reversing, unless of course the pupil can't distinguish between these.

Signs, other than direction signs should not be a problem.

I suggest a meet with a local examiner to get his advice, that works well here.

Cheers

In Memory of Margaret (Mags) Adair ADI 

£2500 raised by our car on the Lejog and presented to Marie Curie, thanks to all who donated or helped in any way. David and Joe

#3 18-05-04 08:28:18

Mike Geary

Hi All.
   Well, I'm slightly dislexsic my self 
At school I was told that I was Thick or just lazey,

Most of "Us" end up doing Practicl jobs, Theres always ways to do a job & still be able to doit dispite being deslexsic.
Point 4 the TT/HPT when bookingit tell the Booking Service that you are D. & you can have either extra time to read or  hearing a voice over.

Same when booking DT, so the EX will know before the test.
    ADIs should not try to tell the EX at the start of the TEST as this looks like tyring to cheat

Bye 4 NoooOOOOoooooooowWWWWWwwwwwww>>>>.........Mike G.

#4 18-05-04 08:30:15

Kev
Verified Member
Website

Hi
Pupils with Dyslexia can get help with the theory test from local F E colleges.
The Highway code is also available on audio tape .
When doing a Breifing use pictures where possible,the L/R you just have to keep reminding her.(see posts on L/R). lol

There have been some famous people with dyslexia ,eg. Winstone Churchhill. smile

Always look on the bright side of life.
Kev

#5 18-05-04 08:33:09

Mike Geary

Kev There aint no "E" in Winston ++++====== get it write  Mate> MIKE

#6 18-05-04 08:38:34

Kev
Verified Member
Website

Hi Mike there's an E when I spell it .Why do you think I go to night school every Thursday .I am also dyslexic.  roll

Always look on the bright side of life.
Kev

#7 20-05-04 07:16:59

Liesa

Another thing to remember is, dyslexics may have to provide proof that they are dyslexic, in order to get the extra help.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#8 20-05-04 13:39:51

Michaela7
Website

Hi Liesa,

What sort of proof are you refering to? :?  I only ask because I have taught a couple of people with Dyslexia. They both had extra time for the theory test plus the voice over for questions and also had the examiner give hand signals for the practical test. Neither of them had to prove that they were Dyslexic it was just accepted. I booked their tests for them and was never told that they would need proof. Maybe things have changed though as that was about a year ago but I'd be interested to know for future reference.

Michaela

Friendly, female Instructor! smile

Arrow School of Motoring

Car+small+picture.jpg

#9 20-05-04 17:25:21

crazymaddriver

hi all

Thanks for all the replys helps me a lot

what sort of proof do you need to show that you are dyslexic ?

Sal

#10 21-05-04 07:23:10

Liesa

Sorry for the delay!

Even though the DSA staff don't always ask for proof of dyslexia, or any other form of learning difficulty, they are entitled to ask for proof that the learner has special educational needs. In the very same way that examination boards across the country, require proof of special needs when taking public exams ect. This is prevent the the system from being abused.

Those that are dyslexic should have been statemented at school, and the paperwork they poses is all that's needed. If this paperwork has been lost, they should be able to obtain proof in the form of a letter, from a suitably qualified person such as a doctor or teacher. ADIs can also provide such a letter for them, but it does need to be typed on a letterheaded.

Just to reiterate the DSA don't always ask for proof of special educational needs, but they are entitled to do so!

So if I have anyone with dyslexia etc taking the theory, I always make sure that they take proof along with them, in just the same way that, I make sure they bring their appointment letter with them, when we attend the practicle test, they probably won't need it but, occasionaly they will! wink

Board footer