You are not logged in.

#1 28-02-06 09:24:21

1stdrive

Metric road signs for UK?

Neil Kinnock is pushing (together with a 'pressure group') to have all the UK's road signs converted to metric, calling it an 'anomaly that needs to be addressed'.

Major change, and if it does happen I'd imagine it won't be for many years, but when the Euro brigade get hold of this one i'm sure we'll hear more about it in the future!!!

28-02-06 09:24:21

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Metric road signs for UK?

#2 28-02-06 09:33:30

posh
Verified Member

yeah the dsa will say all adi's will have to sit the metric test or risk getting struck off and charge about 60 pounds to sit it lol

#3 28-02-06 09:36:41

msdarcy721

I heard a little bit about this last week. Think I saw a discussion about it on 'this morning'. One guy said its crucial for us to adopt the metric system and move away from imperialism, particularly as we're hosting the Olympic Games in 2012, and hoping to attract people from all across the world. Another guy argued that we should just leave things the way they are.

Personally i think it would be a good thing, to adjust to a system that is used in most countries; although I must admit i havent really got a feel for the km/h system  :?  shall have to get studying, especially as i'm hoping to visit my boyfriend in france   roll

#4 28-02-06 09:55:38

1stdrive

Can just imagine the pups face when you first hit the national speed limit dual carriageways and tell them right get your speed up to 112 now  yikes thats kph not mph big_smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#5 28-02-06 11:57:43

Moominhater

Seems like there could be a lot of excuses from people caught speeding if they do change.

Why can't they leave things alone - I still work in pounds, ounces and inches. (god I sound like me granny)

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
event.png
[/url]

#6 01-03-06 12:07:12

Django

No one has mentioned the mileage counters in all the cars. They won't be cheap to change.
I reckon if Kinnock wants to drive in Kilometres rather than Miles then he should think about living in France.

#7 01-03-06 12:20:13

MrBassMan
Verified Member
Website

While they are changing the road signs - why not use the opportunity to switch to driving on the right at the same time?

It may be too big a change to do in one go so they could phase it in - buses and lorries first, cars the week after and cyclists the following week.

Learn 2 Pass
Driving lessons in and around Ceredigion in West Wales  http://www.L2P.co.uk

#8 01-03-06 12:23:55

Django

Good plan Mr B. lol

Maybe we could also use this time to ban all the outdated modes of transport from our roads like horses & bikes. lol lol :evil:

**sits back in tin hat and waits for Lynne to hurl abuse** :evil: :evil: lol lol lol lol lol

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 01-03-06 13:35:40

Moominhater

While they are changing the road signs - why not use the opportunity to switch to driving on the right at the same time?

It may be too big a change to do in one go so they could phase it in - buses and lorries first, cars the week after and cyclists the following week.

Won't that cause an accident it I've got a bus hurtling towards me on my side of the road?  Who gives way?

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
event.png
[/url]

#10 01-03-06 13:39:00

markA.d.I

Nice one mrb  big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile

would be exciting lessons !!

#11 02-03-06 11:23:02

kev146g
Website

isn't that what we do now

kev
w w w.drivingschool.me.uk

#12 06-03-06 17:11:07

corsa
Verified Member
Website

what ever next we will be driving on the right next if its not broke don t try to fix it

if in doubt don t pull out
www.cartuition.co.uk

#13 06-03-06 18:44:27

evan

Does anyone give a toss what Kinnock wants now, I don't didn't give a toss about anything he had to say when he was top dog with Labour. The only useful thing he ever done is modelled for Spitting Image and fell in the sea, and that was strictly entertainment value.

#14 09-03-06 15:01:41

mattg

I don't mind things changing to Km. This is not pointed at anyone personally here, but a lot of people are snobby when it comes to changes like this.

If everything was changed to metric tomorrow I wouldn't get upset about it. If fact I would think great we should have done this years ago.

#15 09-03-06 15:13:16

msdarcy721

i kinda agree with you. i just think people need to be informed ( i don't know how government) would implement system (ensuring people had a good grasp of the metric system) and could adapt to it...safely. may be the government or relevant agency/department...could provide those of us who arent too familiar with it all, a little bit of background reading. or may be it's just a case of getting a feel for metric system and aint that much of a big deal...

ah just found something that helps with the conversion:

Easy.  A mile is 8 furlongs, and a km is 5 furlongs.
  So to convert mph to kmph, just multiply mph by 8/5
  and vice versa.
  Thus 100 mph = 100*8/5 or 160 kmph.
        50 mph = 80 kmph
        75 mph = 120 kmph.

taken from:   http://www.faqs.org/faqs/sports/cricket … on-24.html

#16 12-03-06 17:04:41

eli
Verified Member

The question is why do we also have to conform to the European way whatever happened to great Britain, rule Britannia and the stiff upper lip now we seem to back down to everything metric weights etc :x

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger

#17 12-03-06 17:09:53

evan

Agree 100% eli were British, stick to what we know. Why don't they change to our system, at the end of the day Britain has contributed more to world advancement then most of the other countries in Europe.

Board footer