You are not logged in.

#1 14-05-04 20:18:13

Liesa

Fuel blockades may be returning!

The Government is to hold crisis talks on the sharp rise in oil prices, as the threat of a repeat of the 2000 fuel blockades looms.

Industry bosses, hauliers, local authorities, security services and government officials are reported to be meeting at the Department of Trade and Industry ahead of possible petrol price protests.

Oil prices have continued to rise, edging even closer to the record high set in the lead-up to the last Gulf War.

The above exerpt was taken from AOL news today 14/5/04

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

14-05-04 20:18:13

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Fuel blockades may be returning!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 14-05-04 21:04:24

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

Fuel taxed to the hilt with oil prices getting higher, Doesn't sound good.

#3 14-05-04 21:17:53

TDC
Verified Member

funny but why is our industry never involved in these discussions after all we are on the road all day using fuel and clokcing up the miles same as hauliers excpet that we have manners too hehe
so why arent our points of view important enough to be included?
and what will be your responses if we are stopped from working by some fat sweaty lorry drivers holding our fuel stations to ransom?

Im so good its unbelievable

#4 14-05-04 21:52:47

Bob_FOADS

Hmmm....
As a 10.5 stone lorry driver (HGV1) andI like to think, with some manners I think I object to your generalisation.  wink
It is each to their own to protest. The HGV boys get most publicity as their motors tend to be fairly noticable when parked in tescos forecourt. They also do more miles than most L instructors generaly, I was easily clocking upto 400 miles a day when I did it and I didn't do the long haul stuff. HGV's often do less than 20 mpg which also don't help.

#5 14-05-04 22:56:19

Mike Geary

Bob
I can only agree with your  statment " FAT SWEATY ECT"  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

"THIS I FIND MOST STRONGLY "OFFENCIVE" >>>>>> I. WAS (&still not) FAT, SWEATY,

we all sweat from time to time and as for MPG on trucks  ....... the 40 tonners can get up to as much as 6mile per gallon, They are designed to "Pull" weight not  for speed+++++

How many cars would be on the road to take a load of 30 tonnes (Pay load) to some where?.... most cars can carry 3 people = 300kgs  ..400kgs MaX (Exclulding driver)

Get the point>>>>   So Don't Knok Truckers when you don't know their situation.
   you can drive legaly 25 hours a day 8 days a week. big_smile   They can not! sad

See me for more details if you"REALY" want to how hard it is to make a living & stay Legal ......Trucking!

Bin there ! Got tee shirt, Done the tour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike G.  Very discusted at the moment with an other driver(WHO SHOULD know BETTER)

#6 15-05-04 09:36:02

TDC
Verified Member

whatever, it still doesnt give them the morale or legal rights to stop others going about their own lives, which is what i meant by manners. i wouldnt dream of trying to stop other people being able to go about their daily personal and working lives by stopping or making it very difficult for these people to keep their cars/vans/bikes having enough fuel in them just because im having a hard time of it.
if us adis ant fill our cars up how are we going to eanr if fuel stations are blokaded again?why should we suffer just because lorry drivers are angry?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 15-05-04 09:43:20

Darren

TDC wrote:

whatever, it still doesnt give them the morale or legal rights to stop others going about their own lives, which is what i meant by manners. i wouldnt dream of trying to stop other people being able to go about their daily personal and working lives by stopping or making it very difficult for these people to keep their cars/vans/bikes having enough fuel in them just because im having a hard time of it.
if us adis ant fill our cars up how are we going to eanr if fuel stations are blokaded again?why should we suffer just because lorry drivers are angry?

i cant speak for others, but when i get a car (soon) i will grudge paying fuel prices we have at the moment. (I will be going LPG & Petrol)  We, in the UK, pay 3 times more for our petrol, than they do in the USA!!!

#8 16-05-04 08:52:07

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Intresting debate! But can we have some consideration in the way we speak of others.

ADI's are currently facing big changes in the industry, many of us really do not like what's happening and some have chosen to take direct action. I have chosen not to at this point but if I'm backed into a corner where I feel I have no alternative then who knows what I or others will do.

Truckers spend an absolute fortune on fuel and it affects them more than us, if they took no action then the goverment would be free to do whatever they want. If they blockaded every garage in protest they will get badly slated by the public. What level of protest should they have?

As for our fuel prices we all spend about 7 to 11% of our turnover on it. If it goes up by a massive 10% that's only about 1% of our turnover. Our only answer is to put up our prices. I've just put mine up from £19 to £20 per hour that's a 5% increase on my turnover.

We all undercharge for our services and if we can't all get our prices up to £25 to £30 per hour over the next few years we will face real hardship as the DSA are set to make things really difficult for the average or 'weak' ADI.

Regards,

#9 17-05-04 10:20:38

Mike Geary

Morning 1 + All,

How can anyone in this country "Complain?"

Loby MPs.............How much does that acheeve....unless 10,000s + do it?
       Loby local Council................................(as Above)
      Write to "Papers" Nat. & Local..............(as above)
     Beef off... on web sites .......................(as above)
    Get  people to sign patitions....................(as Above) = 1000 x   1000s

Take action to inconveince the "Puplic"  (Incluing our selves) ( in whatever industry)    =the "Unions"
How did U feel about HPT+ Part 1........I object to taking something " 'Passed" & somthing "Designed (In a Bad fromat )4 "LEARNERS" (this has Nowt to with My/ourHPT.. moving +statoinary on the road does it?!!!!! This abosloutly STINKS!!  want 4 a word or 2.

Sorry Back to the Topic.....

If lobying Goverment does not work....... What eles can you do????????

Except It ???? or protest in the strongest way "U" can!

Just remember how the french do it,  its not the way THAT WE DO it!  but it may come to that in the futcther       (Sorry my spelling aint good! but I hope U under stand?)

Mike G<><><><><.

#10 17-05-04 12:55:21

TDC
Verified Member

ok so if we can only do 20% of our lessons because the fuel is blockaded thats acceptable to you all and you can all stomach the high loss of earnings over a possible long drawn out affair?  i know the end result if succesful will be beneficial to us all but if in the process we lose perhaps £2000 in income this will be a hell of a lot of fuel fill ups before we recoup our losses incurred as a result of the fuel dispute.
but as always people will just accept that lorries are blocking fuel and o well we cant do anything about it can we

#11 17-05-04 19:27:51

adi
Verified Member
Website

Well it's back to having a plentyful supply of jerrycans in the backyard again. I have a few 20ltr metal jerrycans to keep me going. legally you are only allowed to keep a certain amount of fuel on your property and the volumes depend on the fuel type. You can't keep as much petrol as diesel due to the fire risk. Diesel is more of a pollutant so you have to avoid any spillage or you could be in trouble! I checked with the fire brigade but they said it's an environmental health issue, but they couldn't advise me much either! Back to the thread though, the blockades do help keep the prices down, especially coming upto elections! Part of me is dreading more blockades, but part of me agrees to the dispute. We put up with far too much in the UK and don't complain or dispute enough. Take the ADI HPT retakes for example, we are happy to take it on the chin as an industry even though as individuals we are against it, all because our defence was just seen as whinging. Give it a few years and the goal posts will be moved again. I reckon in time you will have to take part 2 driving test on a regular basis too. At least the haulage industry have some balls to dispute as they do and at least steer things in the direction that THEY want things to go.  roll

#12 17-05-04 19:41:29

Mike Geary

Hi all
Yes  Fuel BLOCKING  would afect us all in the Driver training industry,

But is it the "BIG" Picture that the Transport industry is complaining about.
the difference between what we pay for fuel in the UK and what the price is in Europe.
Ever seen the prices in France? ect. alot cheeper

In the long run if Fuel pricing came to an equall level  across Europe we'd win!

To put it another way.......... "Stobart" has some tankers going over to France, there and back again every week to fill up.
It works out cheeper even including the cost of Not being able to use these Tankers for working, Ferrries,drivers wages, servicing costs, Import tax on fuel.

The "Continental" Trucking companies are under cutting our UK companies, causing ours to go Bust.........due to our higher taxation on fuel = not a level playing field.

That's what it's all about..............ok ...................

Mike G>>>>........>....>.>.......>........>>.........,.,.,.,..,.,

#13 17-05-04 19:48:40

Mike Geary

We have had 143 viewings and ONLY 11 replies to this topic. (& others)
come on U LoT out there .........put on your thinking caps...........and get your point of view over..............U WOOD in the Pub, at a meeting, on the phone...........so.... why...........................not here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we don't bite........well.....not 2 offen.........................MG.

#14 18-05-04 06:43:06

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

I do notice that every time i fill up its getting a little more each time, i have a corsa and last fill up cost £31.00, whereas 6 months ago i struggled to squeeze £27.00 into it!!

I think it is disgusting that we keep paying more than USA, and its probably partly their fault that we are doing so!  Also Blair for following suit, and who has to pay for his decisions?  We do the tax paying people of UK who probably dint want the war in Iraq in the first place!
But we just have to plod on with everyday life and grin and bear it- unfortunately!!! :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

I too have just put up my prices from £17.50 to £18.50, but that was just my decision regardless of fuel prices, BUT if they keep going up i might have to hit my pupils again and add another £1 to a lesson!!!

:evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

#15 18-05-04 12:58:38

TDC
Verified Member

i think we all agree that we pay too much in the UK for fuel and a lot of other things too.
But non one has really come back with how they are going to keep financially afloat if they cant work or work is reduced while the fuel blockades are on (if they ever start).
are you all honestly just going to shrug your shoulders and not earn much if anything for weeks on end (possibly) or put up with 3 hours queueing to fill yuor cars up every few days (time that you cant earn from!) Are you really going to just sit there and let lorry drivers dictate to us when, how much or for how long we can earn money over the time span of the blockade?
You seem more interested in the hardship of hauliers than you do of your own situstions or potential situations!!!  on another board i posted 'fuel prices up=lesson prices up'   most pupils accepted this but adis argued against it??? doh!!!
are we a business or a charity??

#16 18-05-04 15:02:50

bigred
Verified Member
Website

I don't think anyone has the right to stop another person working and earning a living, the protest by the lorry drivers, whilst being very valid, is totally misguided and affects us ADI's amongst many other groups.

Their protest should be directed at government, Downing street, Parliament, Tax offices and the like but not at those who use this darned expensive fuel.

If Truckers don't get a better plan into action then they will lose the support and goodwill of the majority of the people.

Hope someones listening!

Regards,

#17 18-05-04 19:34:24

Mike Geary

Hi BIGRED
    Yes I can see Bothside of the story....... Having being on both in the passed

But, sometimes it's Goverment putting up prices, & or world situations causing the "ups" in pricings, or OPC.

we just have to get on the best way anyone can.

Bye 4 NooooOOOOoooowwwWWWWwwwww..... Mike G<><><><><><><><>

#18 18-05-04 20:30:23

Liesa

How many of you were actually teaching, when the last fuel blockade took place back in September 2000?

I remember spending numerous hours queing at the filling station, mainly because the average motorist was panick buying!

I fully understand and agree with the thinking behind these blockades but, I don't relish the thought of going through all that again. :cry:

How many petrol stations hiked their prices up to extortionate rates, just because they thought they could make a fast buck or 2?

If I remember correctly it became common practise, for them to at least double the price of fuel. After it was all over, 1 or 2 ended up going out of bussiness around here, because they were subject to a mass boycot!

Does anyone think that if this sort of thing should happen again, there should be some sort of priority system in place when it comes to the purchase of fuel?

Last time certain filling stations were only open to the emergency services. How about extending this to anyone who's occupation is reliant on the use of thier vehicle, like ours is?

And by that I don't mean any Tom, Dick or Harry who say's he needs his car etc to get to work. Just a thought wink

#19 18-05-04 21:01:37

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

I would rather take some time off work and then have low fuel cost than carry on the way it is.

Good luck to the lorry drivers, I hope they do good for us all.
We whine and moan about Adi's taking the theory again, But what do we do about it, Not a lot.
Wouldn't it be worth all the instructors getting together and maybe not do test on 2 of the days a week ? of course it would work but we cant sort that out, But the lorry drivers do..

#20 18-05-04 21:11:55

johnexley
Verified Member
Website

Hi Liesa,

I wasn't teaching back in Sept. 2000.

From where I was at the time there seemed to be quite alot of support for what "the truckers" were doing.

In the long run everyone ends up better off.

Fuel blockades were only an inconvenience. If all the trucks on the road parked up for a day the whole country could be brought to a complete standstill !!

Regards, John.  wink

John Exley
A,B,BE,B1,C,CE,C1E,D1,D1E,f,k,l,n,p,h
http://www.johnexley.co.uk
http://www.towing-training.co.uk

#21 19-05-04 09:25:26

Midge
Website

I'm afraid I carried on working the last time there was a fuel crisis.  I try to "shop local" where possible,  although my usual fuel station isn't the cheapest, it isn't the dearest either.  Last time the owner covered his pumps up as if there was no fuel available, but when  a regular drove by slowly, looking to see if there was  fuel available, he waved them in and charged the normal price.  He managed to keep his regular customers going for the length of the dispute.
Midge

Midge  -   Dip D.I.

#22 19-05-04 12:48:18

Darren

think about it.

If the protests go ahead, and the fuel prices drop, you's can lower your prices,
lower prices = more custom, more custom = more money, more money = bigger profit

Basicly what im saying is if the petrol goes lower, you can lower your prices, and get more clients.

I know when i was looking for a driving school, i looked at prices 1st, then the company rep 2nd.

I know its not as easy as i just said, but i think you should know what i mean lol

im just saying, thats all smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#23 19-05-04 13:09:25

MrBassMan
Verified Member
Website

lower prices = more custom, more custom = more money, more money = bigger profit

Wrong - what happens in reality is that lower prices mean competitors also lower prices which means longer hours to acheive the same income.

The British mentality is to buy cheap and complain when you get poor quality - holidays are a good example.

People need to accept that to get quality you need to pay a little more - and that applies to a driving school as well. A quality instructor will need to charge more because he will have a better car, takes time off for regular retraining, is not over-tired from long hours etc.

Learn 2 Pass
Driving lessons in and around Ceredigion in West Wales  http://www.L2P.co.uk

#24 19-05-04 18:48:35

TDC
Verified Member

yeh i agree with the above totally
, the previous post to that seems to be synonymous with certain second rate adis and schools who obviously dont rate themselves highly enough to demand a decent amount for their time /expertese.
Approved Instructors point of view is fine if you can afford not to work for a period of time but we are not all in that situation so an unplanned for week without income would damage some of us greatly.

#25 19-05-04 19:46:30

Liesa

When the last blockade took place back in september 2000, I'd only been qualified for about 15 months. I didn't have any choice but to keep working right through the protest, due to getting into quite a bit of debt to pay for my training.  No doubt there are many others out there in just the same boat, who if they had to take unplanned leave would end up in a real financial mess!

Even now although we're both busy we can't afford to take more than our usual holidays off.

What you've got to remember mclaren is, driving instructors are self employed and if we don't work we don't get paid, but we still have to meet all the usual living cost etc.

Board footer