You are not logged in.

#1 24-02-06 14:02:54

sparkle

Weird steering problem >>

On manouvering (reversing) my steering (Clio automatic) LOCKS neutral neutral not all the time..but sometimes..making going very slow & steering at the same time IMPOSSIBLE...

Any idea whats happening?

Note: Steering is fine all the other times.

24-02-06 14:02:54

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Weird steering problem >>

#2 24-02-06 14:09:02

markA.d.I

had a prob in my old Clio like that ...... tir ...... it sometimes would get very heavy,almost like it was shutting down ??

Renault said it was the steering motor getting too hot when doing several man's one after the other ....... they put a new fuse in or something ???, is that similar to whats happening to you ??

#3 24-02-06 14:13:21

sparkle

That is exactly what is happening.

This morning we were doing reverse park-after her 4th go..the steering like you say shut down.. neutral neutral neutral neutral

i HATE my car!!!!!

#4 24-02-06 14:16:28

markA.d.I

I wasn't impressed with my Clio, loved it when it was all going ok .... lots of silly little problems ..... i had a squeaky sunroof which use to drive me mad !!.

Try Renault to sort that one out, 5 minute job ..... although my dealer made me wait 2 weeks to get it in, thats why i went for the mini !!!

#5 24-02-06 14:20:11

sparkle

I tell you what-renault can go stick thier cars where the sun dont shine. Had 2 clios in the past NO PROBS..then we had a scenic..again no probs..seems like they got crap in recent yesrs lol

Im going back to a Nissan when i got enough money to swap again..

My sunroof is fine-no other niggles as it goes..except this !!!!!!!! steering :x

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#6 24-02-06 14:43:34

la.monikita
Verified Member

what about your insurance payout for the micra? or is it not a write off? :?

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

#7 24-02-06 14:45:35

sparkle

No, the Clio is my 2nd car. Seperate from the Micra.

#8 24-02-06 16:20:00

adi
Verified Member
Website

Sounds to me like the power steering is shutting down from being held on lock for too long. Hydraulic steering boxes can end up with damaged seals and electronic boxes can overheat. Never good to keep full lock on for too long, and were talking seconds not minutes.

#9 24-02-06 16:35:15

LeanneADI
Verified Member

My corsa does this as well.  It is to do with the steering motor overheating.  Not sure if a fuse will do it.  Went to see vauxhall and they recommended a replacement (£700 yikes)  (vauxhall are full of it mind!!)

I just put up with it.  The worst is doing TIR.  after about 3 goes the steering gets really heavy.  Just drive around the block and it sorts it self out.

Leanne

#10 24-02-06 17:00:43

markA.d.I

they just slapped a higher capacity fuse on me old clio ......... i dont pretend to be a mechanic, just take there word for it ....... they might have been blowing smoke up my bum !!! ha ha ha

#11 24-02-06 18:42:19

evan

Hi Leanne I get the same problem with my Corsa, I was told it was to stop the power steering mechanism over heating and  breaking down, (safety etc), I do what you do with regards driving round the block. Pain in the a*** when you are teachingTIR though.

#12 24-02-06 22:50:01

luchell

Happened alot with the Bsm corsa. Trip around the block as a little break from doing Titr solved it. Just annoying. haven't had that with my Clio yet although it would be nice if it didnt misbehave now and then with starting but hey  roll Still love it though best car i've ever driven love it! (No i dont need to drive more cars wink)

#13 25-02-06 09:28:39

Karenadi

Try getting them to release the pressure off the lock, after getting it: only a little bit: might stop it overheating: so full lock, then take a tiddy bit off.....

#14 25-02-06 14:41:06

Badger

As long as you apply pressure on the wheel the EPS motor will continue to try and turn the wheel.

Once the lock stop has been reached dont press on the wheel and the motor will  cease trying to turn against the stop point.

Many learners feel that the wheel must be held firmly against the stop

In a non EPS system ie a hydraulic one, the wheel should be turned back a couple of millimetres off the lock stop so that the hydraulic bypass valve can rest.  If you keep it at the stop point you can hear the valve working to relieve the pressure in the system.

Badger

#15 25-02-06 16:45:45

evan

Thanks Badger I will try that.

#16 25-02-06 20:24:06

jonnmedds
Verified Member

I also had the same problem with my corsa's, one was a Y reg and one 03. They fitted a modified power steering unit for free as I argued that because the car was sold as a driving school vehicle (under their driving schools promotion) it should be fit for the use indended.

Board footer