You are not logged in.

#1 10-02-06 22:53:22

Karenadi

Corsa: terrible noise

Here's one to watch for (or listen should I say).  Returning from a pass plus motorway run yesterday, my Corsa developed a dreadful noise on rear offside.

On sending hubby out to listen: silence.  I took it back out later on the night: silence.  Out this morning and the noise was back: like metal scrapping metal.  On picking up 1st pup: silence.  All the way to 2nd: terrible racket.  I let her drive a little way, then decided no more.  Going home.  Contacted mechanic: over to his house tonight: silence.  He drove car around for about 10 miles before noise developed, then back wheel locked.  Got it back: turns out the spring in the rear brake caliper had broken.

Only sharing info. incase anyone else has similar experience.  Good job I stopped working when I did?  Any excuse for day off. big_smile 

Good job it's still under warranty, but still might have to have half of next week off too if can't get part. wink

10-02-06 22:53:22

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Corsa: terrible noise

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 10-02-06 23:10:32

la.monikita
Verified Member

what part of the rear brake caliper the spring goes? am dim in the mechanics things  roll, since its drums in the back

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

#3 10-02-06 23:31:17

Badger

Its a powerful spring that pulls the brake shoes away from the inside of the drum when the brakes are not being applied.

If the wheel locked up then its likely that a piece of broken spring has become lodged in between the shoes and the drum

Badger

#4 12-02-06 08:07:56

Karenadi

Spot on badger: thats where mechanic found it.  Anyway, he has found a spring in tool box (wonderful things tool boxes) and done a temporary repair while we wait for a new one to arrive (factory order), then he'll fit it when we get a service next week.  (phew - thought it was going to cost me loads). 

#5 12-02-06 12:07:56

luchell

Same thing happened when i picked up my brand new corsa off the lorry when with Bsm. It had 0.3 miles on the clock. 2 miles later on the side of the road got towed  roll Apparently 150 off the line had the same problem. ( I had smoke coming out of the back wheel so don't know if thats exactly the same thing. Awful it was and really worrying!)

#6 13-02-06 23:40:26

Eric
Verified Member

Just picked up a new corsa yesterday, rattling well at the back, this would explain it me thinks.Got it booked in early tomorrow. A colleague picked hers up today and had it smoking, so in she went to her local dealer. Bet I know what they will tell her tomorrow when she picks it back up! (Or will they?)
Eric

Board footer