You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 24-01-06 22:46:26

la.monikita
Verified Member

do you swap your tyres over

well, i had it done, as the back ones are still like new and the front ones are just legal. especially the nearside one. which the guy told me was a norm. apart from the fact that it gets a bashing on the kerb more then the rest.
i got a new set of wheel trims too. all for 20 quid tongue, i thought it was a good deal 'cause the trims were £17 big_smile,
do any of you change your poor wheels over?

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

24-01-06 22:46:26

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: do you swap your tyres over

#2 24-01-06 23:22:50

pdi

it is common practice to do this as the drive wheels have more wear on them than the rear but you might want to balance them again as they were on the rear but maybe they did that

#3 25-01-06 00:00:30

Andi

Yes La Mon, i get my wheels changed around, to even the wear out abit....sound like you got a good deal there....tyre fit guys must have taken a shine to you wink

Andi

1.gif

#4 25-01-06 00:04:36

bzcee

yes I do. just done them a couple of weeks ago after a service, front ones were less tread than rear so I swapped them.

I would say though la.monikita if the ones you swapped over are 'just legal' I would go and buy some new ones. you could still get into a rear wheel skid with the low tread ones and also get some hefty fines if stopped by the boys in blue.

then you will have four good quality tyres on your car.  big_smile

ermmms.jpg
Your information is visible to YOU only

fighting0092.gifstupid little winker

#5 26-01-06 17:25:34

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

What the point in doing that ? they ain't going to last any longer are they, you will need to get back tyres changed.

Maybe if you do very little miles in a year, then it could be worth it if the front tyres get a few scrapes off the kerb or get worn a little around the edge, but in our job i cant see it saving anything.

#6 26-01-06 19:36:23

Andi

it evens the wear of your tyres out, so that eventually you end up with 4 new tyres all at the same time.....front wheel drive cars tend to have greater wear on the front tyres than the rear...so we swop the front to back and in xthousand miles we have the same wear all around. (phew!)

But im sure you know this!!

I was told to do it by my father,....so i just do it! Easier than getting moaned at...lol

Andi

1.gif

#7 26-01-06 20:36:43

la.monikita
Verified Member

yep Andi, plus the near side front one gets most worn out, not only because of our job, but it does so for everybody else. have never done it b4, but now because am clocking up some miles it makes sense. and i bet you anything, when buying 4 new tyres i can negotiate better discount then buying 1 or 2 so it = more money IN MY POCKET 8-)

Abraham Maslow

#8 26-01-06 20:55:59

Andi

That's So right La mon.....

you cant beat a good discount  wink and you start again with 4 nice new tyres, i don't know about you but i always think the car feels weird if its got just 2 new tyres on.....i was told new tyres have to be ''run in'' by my local tyre fitter??, but that was on a 4X4...i should imagine its the same on all tyres though....

Andi

1.gif

#9 26-01-06 22:27:57

ADI ALAN

Hi there.

I had two new front tyres fitted recently on my P206 and the tyre fitter mentioned that the new front tyres should be fitted on the rear and the existing rears fitted to the front. He mentioned that Michelin now recommend this as a safety measure to assist braking/balance etc.

Another money making idea I thought..but no-he fitted the rears to the front free of charge.

Alan

#10 26-01-06 22:44:41

tuneman
Verified Member

I used to swap my tyres over many years ago ...But not anymore because i used to end up needing 4 new tyres  sad

These days i just leave them where they are ... Ive had my car nearly 3yrs ( 2001 X) and ive not  long bought 2 new front tyres about 4-5 mths ago, ( even thou only 1 tyre really needed changing ) Cost me £50 i also check my tyre pressure every week and
IM HAPPY   big_smile

So i would say DONT SWAP THEM   

#11 26-01-06 22:50:07

la.monikita
Verified Member

tuneman, how may miles have you done in those years?

Abraham Maslow

#12 27-01-06 07:55:07

Badger

It depends upon when you change your car in my view.

I tend to change mine when it has covered around 50,000 miles.  By changing the wheels around I find that the rubber lasts the whole period.

I have two spare wheel rims with new tyres on and if the tyres in use on the car get near the limit I change them for the spare ones.

I then change them back just before selling the car - thus avoiding selling a car with two new tyres on it.

I keep one of the spares in the car anyway because the issued spare wheel is the wrong size and I don't want any eagle eyed DE dumping a test because of a last minute wheel change.

Badger

#13 27-01-06 22:32:43

la.monikita
Verified Member

Badger, i tried to get a full size spare from that web site, but they did not have it in the size and the tyre size.
what size are your spares? and did you get them from that site? what price did they charge. sorry for all the questions. i phoned vauxhall, and a dopey woman went to ask, the know how in the office (why do they employ people with no brains?) and was told, can't drive on spare faster then 40m/h. i had an alfa with a big low profiles, the spare was like a bicycle tyre and that still could go 50 according to the sticker. now this is 15" to 14" spare which looks as good as, and does not have any stickers to limit the speed. so i recon vauxhall just covering their back sides rather then giving me some informed knowledge  roll
cheers

Abraham Maslow

#14 28-01-06 00:33:52

Badger

The trouble with the later Corsas is that they have 14" road wheels and 13" spares.  The spare has a fatter tyre on it to match the circumferance of the 14" wheels.

I have a letter from the DIA who I asked to get clarification from Vauxhall after I had given up dealing with a man in Vauxhall Customer Care who had a goats bladder for a head.

Copied here for you:

We have had extensive conversation with Vauxhall, David Blair Product Evolution & Service Support and David Pugh.David Blair has now written to Peter Burton , Technical Standards DSA stating that the spare wheel size including tyre has the same rolling diameter as the larger road wheels and therefore has no speed restrictions or changes of handling .I have today asked Vauxhall to makesure that their owners manual reflects no restriction on this type of sparewheel configuration and I am waiting for this confirmation

Regards

Eddie Barnaville

So there we are. Horses mouth as it were. by the time all this was sorted out I had already bought the spare  rims but their function now is as per my post.

I cant remember how much the rims cost because my paperwork is still with the Accountant but I think it was around £18 plus postage.

badger

#15 28-01-06 20:15:40

la.monikita
Verified Member

ah mine is a 15" and 14" spare, the local car breakers had 4 14" exactly the same as my spare but 'cause i have the latest model 15" the don't have any.

staff in places is getting thicker year on year, or is it that they just can't be bothered  roll

Abraham Maslow

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#16 29-01-06 15:24:20

Andi

ah mine is a 15" and 14" spare, the local car breakers had 4 14" exactly the same as my spare but 'cause i have the latest model 15" the don't have any.

staff in places is getting thicker year on year, or is it that they just can't be bothered  roll

I just dont think anyone cares about customer service any more..i really dont! If you are a woman, especially..you get looked at like you have two heads and know nothing anyway....i speak from much experience!! lol...

Andi

1.gif

Board footer