You are not logged in.

#1 23-01-06 22:31:30

sardine
Verified Member

Petrol smell

A couple of weeks ago I had a strong smell of petrol in my car.
My sister's boyfriend had a look at it and one of the pipes had perished causing petrol to leak. sad
The car's been fine since, but yesterday I noticed the smell again when I switched on the footwell heating. :?
The smell seems to be coming through the blower.
My sister's bf looked at it again today but can't find any reason for the smell.
He says it should be fine to drive until the weekend when he can take it again to check it out. neutral
I don't know what to do. :?
Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be and if it is safe to carry on driving?
Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.
Thanks wink

Passed 1st Theory 31.08.04
Failed 1st Practical 21.03.05
Passed 2nd Practical 23.04.05
Completed Pass Plus 07.05.05
Drives an "M" reg Astra called Simon
Sardine

23-01-06 22:31:30

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Petrol smell

#2 24-01-06 08:27:03

VandADI
Administrator

Have you noticed any petrol stains on the ground? does the smell normally occur when the tank is full or all the time?
It could very well be that the pipe has perished and if so, will need replacing a.s.a.p. as you can appreciate, your car is a bomb waiting to go off if not sorted.  Personally, I would not drive until fixed.

#3 24-01-06 10:24:14

Badger

Not seeing the car there is only one piece of advice that I can give.

Dont drive it until you have sorted the problem !!

RoSPA have a figure somewhere that in 2001 over 50,000 cars burst into flames on starting up.

All you need is petrol vapour anywhere near anything that produces a spark like an alternator, starter motor, heater fan motor, windscreen wiper motor etc and she will blow.

Badger

#4 24-01-06 19:14:25

The Mod

Chances are either theres a split further down the line or the pipe was replaced with the wrong diameter, thickness or specification. It may even have just come off. Dont even put the key in the ignition. Badger is spot on- one small spark and you have one heck of a barbecue.

#5 24-01-06 20:10:37

sardine
Verified Member

I haven't used the car today he's parked up on the driveway.
My sister's boyfriend is coming up again tomorrow to hopefully fix it.
Thanks for all the advice.
I didn't fancy carrying on using it.
Or the thought of being blown up yikes

Passed 1st Theory 31.08.04
Failed 1st Practical 21.03.05
Passed 2nd Practical 23.04.05
Completed Pass Plus 07.05.05
Drives an "M" reg Astra called Simon
Sardine

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#6 25-01-06 19:11:32

Andi

Very sensible.... wink

Andi

1.gif

Board footer