You are not logged in.

#1 06-05-04 16:05:51

jonks

Regularly change you cam belt!

I am running a Renault Laguna 2.0 RT sport as a second car. I have had it for a few years and up until the end of last year I never had a problem.

I had had the car serviced but had not had the cam belt changed and when driving at just 35MPH the cam belt gave way.

I called the AA and when they came they quickly told me that the cam belt have gone. I breathed a sigh of releif because i knew I could have a new cam belt fitted for about £100. (Not too bad)

Unfortunately, the AA mans face told another tale. When the cam belt failed the pistons had shot up and bent every single valve in the engine.

Total cost of repair = £850

If I had had my cam belt replaced with my service, the cost would have been just over £100.

A car doesn't need a new cam belt with every service, but make sure you know when your cam belt is due to be changed and DO change it.

I was lucky I didn't loose my entire engine.

06-05-04 16:05:51

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Regularly change you cam belt!

#2 06-05-04 17:37:10

Darren

Depending on the car, you should change it every 60k miles. Some cars need it changing every 20k miles, but on average its 60k miles. as jonks said, its worth paying £100 to get a new cam belt, rather than basicly knackering your engine.

If you dont know when you should change your cam belt, ask when your next in for your MOT. If your unsure, get it changed!!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 06-05-04 17:44:19

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

I have a Old corsa in the garage and ive been told it has a Chain not a belt, Would this be right ?

#4 06-05-04 18:56:37

chrisdunham

Yeah, if it's a 1.0 corsa, that'll have a chain, which doesnt need replacing  big_smile

Chris

#5 06-05-04 22:59:28

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

Great, Thanks  big_smile

Board footer