You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 17-01-06 17:18:11

asimpsonlowe

Vauxhall 1.3 CDti....do you know whats under the bonnet?

Well, ive just gotta share this with ya!
I suppose i could have put this in the general section...but hey, what the hell!
Do you know, or are any of you aware that Under the Bonnet of the Vauxhall Corsa 1.3 Cdti there is lurking a FIAT Engine and Gearbox??  :|I wasnt and im Gobsmacked! I must admit, i wouldnt have bought it had i known....nothing against Fiats its a personal thing! I just didnt think id bought one...LOL....
But its not funny, as Vauxhall have my Corsa now (again) and after replacing the gear linkage they now think it may be the clutch..or gear box thats 'faulty'....Mmmmm, It has 10,500 on the clock and isnt even a year old! yikes

Andi (disturbed)  :microwave:

1.gif

17-01-06 17:18:11

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Vauxhall 1.3 CDti....do you know whats under the bonnet?

#2 17-01-06 18:53:05

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

On my way out to check now...

How did you discover this? Is there a fiat logo anywhere, where should I look for the evidence?

#3 17-01-06 19:01:16

asimpsonlowe

Hi Ya, No there is nothing on the Engine to give it away....its abit of a long story but here is the condensed version....i bought one, took it to Vaux dealers to get handbrake adjusted and all fluids checked/topped up (im a woman...and prefer to pay a little man in a boler suit to do this forme than do it myself! lol), and mentioned to service manager that the gears felt quite 'notchy' could he check it whilst they had it, they did and i was told it needed a new gear linkage....(its 9 months old) i was shocked and said 'ohhh, never had any trouble with me other one, but that was petrol...' to which he said, 'ah well you see these ones have a FIAT enhine and gearbox in, so we dont really know whats ginna go wrong with em yet!!...anyway, its had a new gear linkage, its still in the worksop, cause now they dont know whats up with it...could be a faulty clutch...or gear box...and now im in dispute with them cause they think i should pay for the replacement of a faulty clutch!! o a car with just 10,500 on the clock.......Over my dead body i told him!! lol :evil:  :evil:

So i thought id just let everyone know....Its a Fiat under the bonnet!! Because Vauxhall wont tell you, till something goes wrong  neutral neutral

Andi

1.gif

#4 17-01-06 19:25:30

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Hmm now im curious. I will give the engine a good look tomorrow when its daylight.

As for vauxhall dealers...

I bought my car in september with 8000 miles on the clock (1 yr old) When i was driving away from the dealer (not bought at vauxhall dealers) I noticed a very bad vibration in the brakes, and felt very unsafe to drive it.

I turned and took it straight back to them and explained the problem...
The garage owner then sped off in the car (with me in the passenger seat) doing 70 in a 30 mph speed limit!!!!!!!! just to check them.

As he slowed down he felt the vibration but by now it wasnt just so bad...
He said that it was a build up of corrosion on the pads since the car had been sitting around for a couple of months, and it would probably be fine by the time I drove the 50 miles home.
I wasnt totally happy, but he said to take it to a vauxhall dealer and they would fix anything under the warranty.
I didnt know much about warrantys but had a suspicion that brakes are deemed as wear and tear, and therefore not covered by the warranty, and told him this.
He said that if any work was needed to send him the bill.

When I was home, sure enough, the brakes were feeling fine and I was enjoying my car and looking forward to ripping my passenger floor apart to fit the dual controls.

Anyway, at 14000 miles in november I booked the car in for its 1st service at a vauxhall dealers.
did a full service, corrected wheel alignment and fitted new wiper blades, drove away a happy man.

Just the week before christmas I had an unfortunate accident when I fell asleep at the wheel driving to work at 4am...
I almost crashed into a wooden sign, but managed to steer enough to avoid it, but my front wheel hit the plank keeping the sign up, which ripped abart the splash guard.

I took the car back to the same vauxhall garage to get it fixed.
When the guy came out to give me a quote for the damage, he said "its gonna be £235" I said "WHAT??? for a splash guard??""
"We discovered that the brake pads and shoes are 95% worn and need replaced and the warranty wont cover wear and tear"

Well I said that the car was serviced 3 weeks ago and why wasnt it noticed then..He was fairly gumped at that, so to make a long story end quickly, I got the splash guard etc fixed for nothing, because of their negligence in not servicing the car properly, and I asked them to give me a separate invoice for the brakes, which is on its way to the nice salesman.

So out of it all I get a new set of brakes, guaranteed for 14000 miles all for £0!!

So just beware of the vauxhall dealers, they seem to have bad eyesight at times.

#5 17-01-06 19:35:20

asimpsonlowe

Uhhh, yea i know what you mean, durin my rather heaed exchange with the Service Manager, he firstly told me my clutch may be Faulty, then said it wasnt covered under warranty...to which i said, faulty implies it is not acting correctly therefore it is no good for the purpose of which it is supplied so should be covered...he then said it is wear and tear...i said...hang on it was faulty a minute ago! I dont consider a dodgy clutch and or gear box at 10,500 mile fair wear and tear!..Then he said..Oh its not covered cause its a School Car  yikes!! I said it wasnt a school car, i was training to be an ADI  in it...and had not yet been subjeted to real learners lol  (it has duals already fitted) I would have bought a Clio had i known the Corsa had a Fiat Engine!! :x
I wont know any more till tomorrow when they will tear it apart abit more..... neutral neutral

Andi

1.gif

#6 18-01-06 02:51:39

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

Hey.... Pleased you woke in time, dont drive if your tired mate ! big_smile

#7 18-01-06 09:59:26

Nimrod

Vauxhall's parent company is GM-Fiat. The engine is actually built in Poland.

By the way, it won the "International Engine of the Year" in 2005, so it can't be all that bad.

Nim

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 18-01-06 16:11:51

Andi

Vauxhall's parent company is GM-Fiat. The engine is actually built in Poland.

By the way, it won the "International Engine of the Year" in 2005, so it can't be all that bad.

Nim

OMG..now i really wish i had bought a Renault Clio! (wonder who makes their bits?)...Picked my car up today as Vauxhall assured me the problem was sorted, to be fair it doesnt actually feel that different  :oops:, but i really dont have time for them to keep havin the car back...so ill keep it a while and think about changing it when i have qualified and things are a little more 'stable'...if they ever are!

Andi

1.gif

#9 19-01-06 19:10:09

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

I had a clutch problem at 6k, Vauxhall said i had to pay for a new one.
I called customer services, and said that the office of fair trading had told me to call you again, giving you the chance to pay for a new clutch.

they called me back within the hour, offering a new clutch at no cost.
Only right, as i could see it, or the car was going back.

#10 19-01-06 19:57:50

Andi

I think part of the problem at the moment with me and the Dealers is that they believe its a school car because i have Duals fitted (although it has nothing else to suggest so) and im a woman  neutral, I still find it amazing that in todays day and age a woman can walk into a local Dealer and get treated like a total plank! During a recent phone call regarding the above problem i was call Dear in a very patronising manor.....it was only when i got a little stroppy with them and informed them that ''over my dead body would i pay for a clutch on a nine month old car''  :evil: :evil: and that a quick phonecall to trading standards was in order...did they back down and offer to make phonecalls to vauxhall because they ''normally will pay for a clutch under these circumstances!''...Erm excuse me? Oh im sorry, i seem to be a thick...and female and having a 'blonde' moment!! big_smile
At the end of the day...the car hasnt had a clutch (are we surprised?) and seems to be better than it was, but still not like my last Corsa, although that was a different engine and gearbox  roll

Oh Well!!

Andi

1.gif

#11 19-01-06 20:30:56

la.monikita
Verified Member

well, i love my corsa, it's done 21k since march 16th, and i was at dealers 3 times, bulb in odometer, radio display gone, and service at almost 15k (cdti).
i was moaning, why the service was so soon? i thought, when buying it would be 20k :evil: (school car).
funny thing was, the dealership had called me to check if i was HAPPY with the way i was treated when the service was done! and i said NO. Why? i was told to bring the car at around 11ish, turned up, oh we can't do anything till 2pm now :evil:,
i wanted to go to the gym whilst they service the car, but now can't spend 5 hours in the gym! so i said, I'll come back then. messed up my plans, but thank god no lessons! "did they not offer you a loan car?" NO, i had a good rant :evil:, now i know, I'll have a loan car! thanks :evil:
i like this car, it's solid (how can i explain that) :?

re messing me up am a woman thing-better not try

20.gif

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

#12 19-01-06 20:57:06

Andi

Yea, i like the feel of the corsa, this is my second one....good solid cars and you do feel safe in them, nice and easy to drive for the learners too. I just feel a little let down at the moment? Im sure it will pass when i just get my confidence in VX back. But i hate being talked to like a plonker :x.....I think now me and VX service engineer understand each other tho  :evil: :evil: we may have a 'better' relationship!! lol

Andi

1.gif

#13 05-02-06 23:28:09

Graham10

and and under the bonnet of my driving school car is basicly a detuned Evo engine

Graham

#14 05-02-06 23:32:15

la.monikita
Verified Member

what's a detuned Evo engine? yikes

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

#15 07-02-06 00:04:35

Andi

LOL...under the bonnet of my car, is now a Citroen 1.4i.....it matches the Citroen C3 exterior!! :evil: :evil:

Andi

1.gif

#16 07-02-06 07:32:16

Ozzie

The 1.7 diesel engine used in Vauxhalls is an Isuzu engine
The Mini 1.4 diesel engine is from Toyota.
I was under the impression that its a Vauxhall engine, but a Fiat gearbox in the 1.3 diesel Corsa.
Personally its tools for the job, so long as it starts stops and goes in between I'm happy.

#17 07-02-06 09:53:25

Andi

My husbands got the Isuzu engine in his 1.7 TD Astra...it bomb proof!!

I had far too many problems with my Vauxhall and with my test coming up so close...i had to do something positive. My Corsa was dogged with problems, and yet my last Corsa a 1.2 was brilliant.

I can only put my problems down to the fact that my car was 6 months old and had 7,000 miles on the clock when i purchased it...BUT it had been a Hertz rental car for that time! Probably..very used a and very abused! Lesson learnt.....dont buy Ex rental....but i purchased it from a major car network and didnt think to ask who the last owner was!!

I managed to get a straight swop Corsa for Citroen....and im thrilled with the Citroen...its quirky but cute and so easy to drive! I did however, ask who the last owner was!! So lesson learnt.

Andi

1.gif

Board footer