You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 28-02-04 00:07:33

DrivingAmbition
Verified Member
Website

Learner Drivers ITV Friday Nights ... What do you think ?

What do you think of this series so far ?

Would you ever agree to appear in one of these programmes ?

Mark
driving%20ambition%20logo.gif
www.drivingambition.info

www.drivingambition.info
Brackley, Northamptonshire.
off Road for under 17's
driving%20ambition%20logo.gif

menu_badges.gif

28-02-04 00:07:33

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Learner Drivers ITV Friday Nights ... What do you think ?

#2 28-02-04 08:22:02

Bob_FOADS

I'd agree to be on one if asked but I'd do everything I could to just run a normal lesson. After all, free advertising is free advertising.

It's better than celebrity driving school, in my opinion, for 'reality' but they do seem to have done the usual telly thing and chosen very loud lerners as that's what the general public are looking for.
Bob
http://foads.com

#3 28-02-04 08:26:49

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hi,

There are real pros and cons to doing a tv programme.

I was asked by the BBC to teach Paul O'Grady for Celebrity Driving School.

Pros - great publicity, great fun, raised over a million quid for charity.

Cons - some of the miserable instructors who critisized me for saying the Brake pedal was the big one in the middle (Automatic car!) and other petty stuff. The programme didn't give us a chance to get any of the pupils up to a decent standard and none had any real hope of passing 1st time.

Paul went on to pass a couple of months later with just 3 minor faults and just loves driving. I was speaking to him yesterday and he's booked in to do Pass Plus and wants to do manual cars before the Summer.

What do you think?

Regards,

#4 28-02-04 13:10:52

jonks

Could'nt get him to come and say hello on the boards could ya bigred? lol

Or mention us next time he does Des an Mel  lol

How is he now? I was reading that he had to have major heart surgery.

#5 28-02-04 15:44:07

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Paul wouldn't know one end of a computer from another, probably the most technophobic man :?:  I've ever met!

His heart problems are long gone - basically 2 years in April. But I must admit I actually had something amounting to a heart attack whilst giving him a lesson and ended up in hospital. He wanted to pull over and call for the air ambulance, but I made him drive to his home; His gardener then gave me a lift from there.

If it wasn't so painful I'd have split my sides laughing at his absolute terror that his driving was going to be blamed.

All is well now and tests have shown me to be all clear, perhaps it was just really bad indigestion?

Regards,

#6 28-02-04 15:48:11

jonks

They didn't mention that on the TV programme did they  wink

Glad to hear you are OK now though.

#7 28-02-04 20:13:54

Liesa

Personally I always think that these programmes make the instructors look completly incompetant. But as you said bigred they didn't give you any chance of getting any of them upto test standard!

The new series for a change, does actually seem to show a more realistic view, of what the job entails.

I don't know if I'd be willing to take part in one of these programmes myself, but I can't say I've actually thought about it before, maybe if I was asked I'd give it some real consideration. Afterall as you say it's hell of a lot of free advertising, and hopefully would be enjoyable as well!

#8 28-02-04 20:24:41

bigred
Verified Member
Website

From when the programme went out last March I've gone from 7 to 15 instructors with another 8 in training.

I don't really mind looking incompetant!

The BBC have offered another show if Paul does as he promised and learns how to drive a truck. It'll show me teaching him LGV's and possibly HGV's and then taking a trip to Africa to deliver aid for Comic Relief.

Nobody's going to tell me they would turn that down!

Would you?

Regards,

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 29-02-04 00:27:25

al2dave

jonks wrote:

Could'nt get him to come and say hello on the boards could ya bigedd? lol

Or mention us next time he does Des an Mel  lol

How is he now? I was reading that he had to have major heart surgery.[       
/
quote]that must of been with all the stress of bein on the t.v,thats what i think,bigedd.

#10 29-02-04 09:25:33

Liesa

You're right no one in their right mind would turn it down.

How did you get involved in the programme in the first place bigred?

I hope you didn't take offense by what I wrote? None was intended!

#11 29-02-04 12:45:26

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hi, the BBC did some sort of web search and apparently I came out as the top site in Kent. I think that cost me £5 with http://www.ukdrivingschools.co.uk
best £5 ever!

Regards,

#12 09-03-04 10:36:21

rachdrive
Website

HI BigRed,

I would have loved to teach Paul as I am also from Birkenhead and think he is soooo funny!! Bet you had a laugh with him.

I wouldn't mind doing one of the programmes, depending what it was for.

Sometimes feel the instructors are not painted to well in them(comic relief) and only show stuff when things go wrong, though at least we have seen some great improvements on Learner Drivers and reasons why choosing to drive with an Instructor is sooo much better than driving with spouses. Less SWEARING anyway!!!

Rach  8)

Driving is for life.........Not just for xmas!!!!!

www.boydsdrivertraining.co.uk

#13 24-03-04 08:05:57

Liesa

For those of you who missed the last couple of episodes, the series is being re-run on ITV2 on Monday nights.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#14 24-03-04 18:04:13

Unplugged

bigred wrote:

Paul went on to pass a couple of months later with just 3 minor faults and just loves driving. I was speaking to him yesterday and he's booked in to do Pass Plus and wants to do manual cars before the Summer.

After borrowing and crashing the car lol will he ever live that down?

Board footer