You are not logged in.

#1 06-12-05 21:16:08

sardine
Verified Member

Under car lights

Don't know if this is what they are called but I want some blue ones for my car.
Been travelling in the dark a lot lately when we have a day out.
I follow my sisters boyfriends car as I'm rubbish at directions but my sister can't tell if I'm still behind them on the motorway cos she can't see my reg.   roll
Thought if I got one of those lights under the car then they wouldn't be able to miss me   lol
The only thing is, we have tons of speed bumps around here and I don't want to be replacing a light every few days.  :evil:
Do speed bumps damage them  :?:

Passed 1st Theory 31.08.04
Failed 1st Practical 21.03.05
Passed 2nd Practical 23.04.05
Completed Pass Plus 07.05.05
Drives an "M" reg Astra called Simon
Sardine

06-12-05 21:16:08

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Under car lights

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 06-12-05 22:23:20

asimpsonlowe

I may be wrong...but i didnt actually think that under car lights (neons etc) were road legal? I thought the small print on the boxsays ' for off road and show use only', personally i think they are distracting to other road users, but its personal preference.

Hope this helps

Andi

1.gif

#3 08-12-05 22:56:51

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

Hi, Why not just tie something to the roof Ariel on your car. or buy one of those small England flags to hook onto your window.

If i had a friend to follow, i used to turn my headlights onto low and if bright ones where behind him, i was not. he would then pull over and wait.
(law permitting)

The under car lights (as far as i know) are legal, as long as you don't allow any of the lights colour, show from the rear of the car.

Try this link

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FREE-REMOTE-UNDER … dZViewItem

#4 10-01-06 18:40:03

Colin Martin
Verified Member
Website

The under car lights are illegal and can attract substantial fines and points on your licence.

What colour lights are and measurements for where on the vehicle they are fitted are set down in the construction and use regulations. They also cover how the lights should be tested and this is reflected in the markings on the lights. These regulations cover a lot of things about how a car should be constructed and infringements can cause MOT failure.

Colin Martin
The Bright Red L http://thebrightredl.com
Instructor Apps http://drivinginstructorapps.co.uk
Apps Video channel https://www.youtube.com/colinbythesea

#5 11-01-06 23:44:25

Automan
Verified Member
Website

Neon strip lights can be fitted provided they comply with the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989, i.e. they should have white to the front, white or amber to the sides, and red to the rear. They would have to be independently switched and fitted so as not to cause any undue dazzle or discomfort to other road users.

#6 12-01-06 17:31:01

Colin Martin
Verified Member
Website

The Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 also has a schedule of where lights should be fitted i.e. how far up and how far away from the edge of the car.

Colin Martin
The Bright Red L http://thebrightredl.com
Instructor Apps http://drivinginstructorapps.co.uk
Apps Video channel https://www.youtube.com/colinbythesea

#7 15-01-06 17:35:01

Automan
Verified Member
Website

Any lamp with the exception of a blue lamp could be fitted to the underneath of a vehicle as long as it is separately switched. These under vehicle neon lamps are usually tucked away and don’t cause any undue dazzle but the colour of the light that is thrown down onto the road when lit could be misleading to other road users and this is what could make it illegal. The reason the height doesn’t come into it is because the lamp would have a separate switch.

sardine said  “Don't know if this is what they are called but I want some blue ones for my car”.

(b)  a device which resembles a blue warning beacon or a special warning lamp, whether the same is in working order or not.

Restrictions on fitting blue warning beacons, special warning lamps and similar devices
    16.    No vehicle, other than an emergency vehicle, shall be fitted with-
(a)  a blue warning beacon or special warning lamp, or

(b)  a device which resembles a blue warning beacon or a special warning lamp, whether the same is in working order or not.

However I did here that as long as blue lights did not flash or appear to flicker then they were legal. Such as the ones some people fit to the windscreen spray jets. I have witnessed the police giving drivers a lecture for using non flashing blue lights but I do not know of anyone who as been prosecuted.

I would say what’s so cool about blue lights and question why anyone would want to fit them.

Board footer