You are not logged in.

#1 01-05-04 18:46:09

Liesa

Is break fluid flamable?

A few years ago I remember watching a consumer affairs programme, the article they were covering was a vehcle recall.

The recall was due to some fault with the break pipes. I'm sure they said at the time, that break fluid could ignite if, it came into contact with a hot suface, such as the exhaust on a car.

Can anyone shed any light on this matter for me :?:

01-05-04 18:46:09

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Is break fluid flamable?

#2 01-05-04 18:57:24

Midge
Website

Brake fluid has a low flash point, it can boil, without igniting, if you brake a lot and very fierce, then you get brake fade.   I explain this to my pupils as part of the lesson on keeping in low gear going down steep hills  (we have a lot of steep hills round here).  Brake fluid can ignite under the right conditions, but it wouldn't be that easy.
Midge

Midge  -   Dip D.I.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 01-05-04 20:22:31

adi
Verified Member
Website

The front caliper on my landrover seized not long ago causing the pads to stay in contact with the disc. As the vehicle is so sluggish anyway it wasn't that noticeable. Having driven at quite a high speed on a carriageway the brakes went completely. The heat caused from friction had 'boiled' the fluid in the brake pipe. I had to keep pumping the brakes to bring the vehicle to a stop. :shock:

Board footer