You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#26 14-05-04 06:27:25

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Re: What safety equiptment do you carry?

I've been debating taking out the fire extinguisher from my car. I think I probably will as it will give more space for emergency rations of chocolate!

Regards,

14-05-04 06:27:25

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

#27 14-05-04 13:23:56

MrBassMan
Verified Member
Website

I agree that there is little you can (or want) to do to save your car by carrying an extinguisher but you certainly save surrounding people and property with it.

Many years ago, on a very hot summers day, my Gran's car was parked in a supermarket car park. She got in the drivers seat and I got in the passenger seat. My gran tried to start the car but it would not. After a half dozen attempts, the paint on the bonnet started to bubble - neither of us could figure out what was happening, we sat there stunned trying to work out what to do next.

Suddenly a man ran across the car park, extinguisher in hand, and squirted it under the car. We jumped out and the man put out what turned out to be a fire caused by a slight petrol leak. We never got chance to thank the man but he may have saved our lives - he certainly saved the cars surrounding my Gran's car as they would have been damaged if my Gran's car had completely gone up in flames.

Learn 2 Pass
Driving lessons in and around Ceredigion in West Wales  http://www.L2P.co.uk

#28 14-05-04 23:41:18

Darren

I know in mainland euroupe, its ILLEGAL to drive your car WITHOUT a fire extinguisher in the vehicle. Personally, i will buy one for my car, as it could be a lifesaver. 99/100 youll never use it, but you never know, what lies ahead. And it dosnt take up much space in your boot

#29 15-05-04 06:10:05

Bull on edge
Verified Member
Website

Here goes.

First aid kit.
Plastic gloves
Usual spare tyre & kit
Wipes (only used where a pupil has sweated profusely on the wheel)
Bottle of Sainsbury's no water handwash
Torch
Spare bulb kit (Thankfully changeable on my car)
Wiper blade
Spare water and washer additive
Tyre gloss :!:
Spare temp door mirror
Spare instructors mirror
WD 40
Small selection of tools
Shoe sponge
Dusters
Spare seat cover (you would not believe the reason fo this :!: )
Cushion for small pupils ( last used in 2000 :!: )
Kleeneze orange window cleaner (recommended)
Kitchen roll
Disposable camera and form for accidents (used the last one!)
Various instructors bits and pieces.

:shock: Today I will be mostly cleaning out my boot :shock:

As a former Petrol Retailer I was trained to put out vehicle fires, and had to do this as part of my contract once a year, but we used a fairly substantial extinguisher and it was difficult enough, this makes me wonder about the effectiveness of one of the little car ones?

Still may buy one just to be on the safe side - Any one any advice on fitting duals to a Transit :?:

In Memory of Margaret (Mags) Adair ADI 

£2500 raised by our car on the Lejog and presented to Marie Curie, thanks to all who donated or helped in any way. David and Joe

#30 15-05-04 09:10:37

kevdyas
Verified Member
Website

Ok here goes!
Tyre Inflator
First Aid Kit
Toolkit
Torch
Spare Bulbs and Fuses
Spare wheel and jack etc.
Screenwash
Water
Tow Rope
Gloves
Hi-Vis Vest
Jump Leads

I think that is all.

Can I ask why you carry a spare wiper blade? I know it would sound pretty daft but if one goes cant you buy another? smile

Kevin.

DSA Approved Driving Instructor (Car)
Drive iQ Pro Coach
IAM Senior Observer/DIAmond Advanced Motorist/RoSPA - Gold
www.wheelsbydrivingschool.com

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#31 15-05-04 09:40:13

Darren

kevdyas wrote:

Can I ask why you carry a spare wiper blade? I know it would sound pretty daft but if one goes cant you buy another? smile

You could but, if it was a monsoon, and you needed your wipers on, at 2AM for example.............

#32 16-05-04 08:54:43

Kev
Verified Member
Website

I carry a spare wiper, because I had one once where the clip broke and the wiper fell off.
I just clipped the new one in place then carried on with the lesson. smile

Always look on the bright side of life.
Kev

Board footer