You are not logged in.

#1 25-04-04 22:22:48

jamiejungle1

What safety equiptment do you carry?

I generally keep  a fire ext. first aid box and a couple of reflective waistcoats no not to impersonate an examiner just in case of a breakdown!  roll

25-04-04 22:22:48

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: What safety equiptment do you carry?

#2 26-04-04 06:49:23

DAVE-ADI

I just know I'm going to get stick for this,  but here goes anyway.

A Fire extinguisher in your car?    Is that not just a wee bit over the top?  In 30 years of driving I have never seen an incident where a fire extinguisher would be useful.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 26-04-04 07:27:20

bigred
Verified Member
Website

THis should be a topic! I also keep a fire extinguisher in the car, but would I use it? health and safety advice is not to stand close to a smouldering car or one likely to cause explosion.

Regards,

#4 26-04-04 07:42:27

Midge
Website

I did once see a fire extinguisher used, I was the third car  waiting at at the traffic lights.  The first car engine started smoking, then flames appeared.  The driver of the car behind got his ext. out and apparently put the fire out.  Me?  I  got myself and pupil out of my car and down the road a piece.  That's when I found out I was not a hero.
Midge

Midge  -   Dip D.I.

#5 26-04-04 08:08:59

Badger

Fire extinguisher ?  Most definitely !

Over 5,000 cars each year catch fire on start up.  This is one of the reasons that RoSPA recommends that the seat belt is not fastened until after the engine has started.

Like Midge I saw a BMW once have a rear tyre catch fire.  It had been driving on a soft tyre at high speed and when it came to a stop at the end of a slip road the tyre just burst into flames.  A van driver behind jumped out with a fire extinguisher and put the fire out.  The whole car would have gone up if it hadnt been for him.

I also carry two Hi-Vis vests and if a pupil has to get out of the car for any reason during a lesson I make sure that they are wearing the vest.

On this last  - why does the DSA not insist that candidates also wear these vests.  Is this further indication of their attitude towards their customers - similar to striking at a time when waiting lists are so bad ?

Spare bulb kit, First Aid kit, torch,  Emergency drivers door mirror, spare water,  spare petrol (and before anyone goes on about that last - I live in a rural area and sometimes it is more convenient to put five litres in rather than make a special journey to fill up at the end of the day).

Badger

#6 26-04-04 15:32:05

adi
Verified Member
Website

The most widely used 'extra' in my boot has to be antibacterial wipes. I steer clear of colds and bugs as best as i can and there always seems to be someone in my car who has one or the other. A quick wipe of all the controls in between such lessons and hey presto, the car is bug free! As a result i can't seem to remember the last time i had a cold since doing this (about 2 years now) before then i would catch at least 2 or 3 from pupils.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 26-04-04 19:46:46

churchy

adi wrote:

The most widely used 'extra' in my boot has to be antibacterial wipes. I steer clear of colds and bugs as best as i can and there always seems to be someone in my car who has one or the other. A quick wipe of all the controls in between such lessons and hey presto, the car is bug free! As a result i can't seem to remember the last time i had a cold since doing this (about 2 years now) before then i would catch at least 2 or 3 from pupils.

Both my wife and her nan carry these everywhere, they never use anything public until wiped.

Going back to the fire ext, i have seen an electrical fire in the actual cockpit of the car where the ext came in useful. nothing to do with the fact that the stereo was wired incorrectly.

sorry this isn't instructor related but i'm still waiting to pass.

#8 26-04-04 21:21:11

jamiejungle1

lol nice one badger sounds like your ready for anything!

also remembered when i had my 206 it came with a space saver which as you know is no good for tests, so used to carry a canister of tyre sealant which was worth its weight in gold one day when i had a flat five minutes before a test :shock:

#9 27-04-04 01:03:23

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

Fire Extinguisher

Hi-Viz Coat

First Aid Box

Torch

Small Tool Kit

Brolly

Wiper Blade

A Spare Mobile-Phone

Thats the lot  smile

#10 27-04-04 07:57:58

Midge
Website

A SPARE mobile phone, crumbs!   
A few of us asked a senior examiner if he would prefer it if we left our phones in the car during tests so that the pupil or examiner could use it in case of breakdawn, abandoned tests etc.  His reply was  "don't leave one of those things here, I wouldn't know what to do with it anyway"  We meant switched off of course.
Midge

Midge  -   Dip D.I.

#11 27-04-04 21:09:08

vince

Dont know if the teaching has changed recently but when I was a reserve firefighter some years ago we taught motorists ," In the event of fire, try to manoeuver the vehicle to the side of the road, switch off and get out and clear of the vehicle, DO NOT attempt to open the bonnet, DO NOT attempt to extinguish the fire, smoke can become an inferno in seconds"
    Re fire extinguishers, I think I'm with Midge and Big Red, staying out of it!
             take care out there,.,.,., Vince wink

#12 27-04-04 21:31:34

crazymaddriver

hi all
at the moment i dont carry anything special I got the Wipes and the dettol spray.and the mobile phone
In the event that i have an accident I do have an accident it which includes a disposable camera yellow crayon torch and a form to take down other driver details I think having one of these in the car is a good idea JUST incase you are involved in an accident.

Hi vis jackets are a good idea as to the extinguisher if my car went up in smoke i want to be well away from it as more often than not  us driving insructors have a fair bit of petrol in our tanks and I wouldn't want to be around if that went up.  Being married to a mechanic i know that a cr can go up in smoke very quickly

#13 27-04-04 21:41:39

DAVE-ADI

If my customers don't have one, I put a spare mobile in the car during test,  just in case anything happens  i.e. breakdown etc.

I leave it switched on, as no one but me knows the number.

I also carry a camera in the car all the time.

#14 01-05-04 15:20:58

Lucy

Hi,

I carry the usual tyre changing garb, foot pump, brake fluid, window cleaner, windscreen top up, spare bottles of water, spare blanket, rubber gloves, tissues, map of uk, WD40 and thats about it.

I suppose mine is a bit of a strange assortment but you never know!

Lucy

#15 01-05-04 16:49:37

Liesa

Hi Lucy

Welcome to the site!

Why do you carry break fluid in the car? 

It's flamable!

#16 01-05-04 17:09:19

Lucy

Hi liesa,

I didn't know that :shock: I know it'll take your paint work off.

Just having a look at the bottle now and there's not a dicky bird on there about its flamability....only that it's an irritant. 

You learn something new every day, cheers liesa, think i'll be keeping it somewhere else from now on wink

Lucy

#17 01-05-04 17:15:56

Lucy

Hi,

Liesa, shouldn't a product that is flammable be stated so on the container?

Just a thought.

Lucy

#18 01-05-04 17:33:07

Kev
Verified Member
Website

I carry 
small tool kit,
spare bulbs,
wiper blade,
rubber gloves   
pen knife,
air freshner  big_smile

Always look on the bright side of life.
Kev

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#19 01-05-04 18:39:33

Liesa

shouldn't a product that is flammable be stated so on the container?

Good point Lucy!

I can't remember where I read/heard this, I think it was on one of those consumer afairs programs.

They were doing an article on a vehicle recall, aparently they were prone  to faulty break pipes, and it was said at the time that, if the break fluid dripped onto a hot exhaust it could ignite!

I'm going to start a new thread so we can get this cleared up.

#20 04-05-04 07:25:55

Gizmotime
Administrator

Every Container which IS Flammable MUST be so labeled,and that is what we were told when doing the Diploma course.

I carry

First aid box

Blanket

Tissue's

Fire extinguisher

Torch

Warning Triangle

spare fuses and bulbs.

Rubber sheet.

Bottle Water

Tow rope

In Winter I carry a Spade  two extra coats socks Flask with tea. well if you break down you need to keep warm.

#21 04-05-04 21:00:21

ditzy

To all those who use dettol/ wipes? Do you pay such attention to the second hand air you breathe in through your air conditioning that harbours more bacteria than your steering wheel? Do you cancel all lessons with all those pupils who have colds? Seriously - save your money and buy some vegetables - it will do just as good job (ps, never touch a door handle again!!!)!
Any way! On a lighter note, great to know we are all well prepared! We would make great boy scouts/girl guides!!!!! DIB DIB

#22 10-05-04 19:43:13

MrBassMan
Verified Member
Website

ditzy wrote:

Any way! On a lighter note, great to know we are all well prepared! We would make great boy scouts/girl guides!!!!! DIB DIB

Actually it's DYB

Scouts used to yell Do Your Best three times, the return yell was We'll Do Our Best  - hence DYB DYB DYB DOB DOB DOB.

Learn 2 Pass
Driving lessons in and around Ceredigion in West Wales  http://www.L2P.co.uk

#23 11-05-04 10:31:30

ditzy

very sorry mrbrassman! As you can see, I never did go to scouts being a girl and all! I stand corrected  :oops: DYB DYB

#24 11-05-04 13:16:12

MrBassMan
Verified Member
Website

You're embarassed?

I knew that snippet of useless information so how do you think I feel?  :oops:  :oops:

Learn 2 Pass
Driving lessons in and around Ceredigion in West Wales  http://www.L2P.co.uk

#25 13-05-04 20:58:20

Ozzie

Many moons ago I had a Montego Estate, and it needed a new starter motor under warranty, so it had to go to a main dealer to have the warranty work carried out. About 2 hours after I dropped the car off, I had a phone call asking me to go back to the garage as there had been a small fire in the car. I returned to the garage to see a crowd standing around my car, when I get there, I looked under the bonnet, all seemed OK, then I looked inside the car and the dashboard had melted, windscreen cracked, and the whole of the inside covered in beige powder from the fire extinguisher.

The Service Manager was saying that they had tried to start the car, when it appeared that the starter motor had stuck, so the mechanic opened the bonnet, peered under the bonnet and could smell burning, went back to remove the keys from the ignition and the dashboard was alight. However they thought that they could save the car. The firew brigade then turned up, the Service Manager explained that the fire was out and that there was no need for them now. The Fireman in charge said that they were there now and had to find the source of the fire, so hew put his axe into the dashboard and pulled the dashboard out, made a few notes and left.

In summary, the car was written off, but I would never have wanted it back, so if my car catches fire, I'll get out lock the doors and walk, no extinguisher carried.

One comment that was made by the firemen was that certain foams were banned for use in sofa upholstery due to it being highly flammable and giving off toxic gases was still being used in cars as soundproofing in dashboards.

On that cheerful note, I will leave you to ponder  :?

Ozzie

Board footer