You are not logged in.

#1 07-11-05 13:37:50

Anonymous

wobble????

Hi can someone help with a problem ive got with my car (its a N reg clio) when im driving there seems to be like a wobble effect as im going along ive had the wheels balanced etc just in case it was anything to do with that but its still happening, anyone got any ideas what it could be????

THANKS.....

07-11-05 13:37:50

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: wobble????

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 07-11-05 21:21:55

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

Does it wobble all the time, or only once you reach a speed over 50 /60 mph ?

#3 07-11-05 21:23:36

Django

Checked the old air pressure in all four tyres???

#4 08-11-05 08:43:32

WOOF

Could be your spod rod!

#5 08-11-05 11:53:41

Anonymous

Hi thanks  for all your replies, firstly im still learning to drive so i dont go over 20 mph smile and i dont notice the wobble but when my fiance drives it i notice it then especially when he goes on the motorway doing 70mph.
The tyres have been checked and are at the right pressure.
I hope its nothing bad my other half only brought me the car a few months ago I dont want to get rid of it yet :cry:
Regards
Claire

#6 08-11-05 12:14:46

markA.d.I

Flux capacitor maybe? lol

#7 08-11-05 18:15:22

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

Ive had the wheels balanced etc, you said.

This is the first thing i would say get checked.

If its only very slight then maybe its ok, just getting on a bit. (no offense)

Yea check your tyres ain't pumped  up to much.

ermm, track rod ends, wheel bearings..... take it to a local garage and ask them to test it on a road rolling machine.

#8 08-11-05 18:34:20

Mmm

Can you be any more specific than a "wobble"? Does the car vibrate, or rock, or is it just feedback through the wheel, or play in the steering, or what?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 13-11-05 10:16:40

bigears

Anonymous wrote:

Hi can someone help with a problem ive got with my car (its a N reg clio) when im driving there seems to be like a wobble effect as im going along ive had the wheels balanced etc just in case it was anything to do with that but its still happening, anyone got any ideas what it could be????

THANKS.....

Hi Guest, If there is alloy wheels on the vehicle and the wobble only begins at a certain speed one of your alloys could be buckled.You generally find that with alloys that have been bought 2nd hand. wink

Two things are Infinite:The Universe and Human Stupidity;and I'm not sure about the Universe.

#10 15-11-05 11:04:25

Anonymous

Hi guys the wobble is more like a rocking effect.
hi bigears nope there isnt no alloys on the car.
cheers again...

#11 16-11-05 21:52:03

Mmm

shock absorbers/ broken suspension spring? push down each corner of the car and check it doesnt keep bouncing...

#12 10-01-06 18:48:25

Colin Martin
Verified Member
Website

Suspension and steering is full of links with rubber bushes which wear out with age. The front wheels are also driven through drive shafts and joints that can cause vibration at speed. Also wheel bearings give up. It could be a vital part of the suspension, steering or drive and should be checked before it falls apart at a bad moment.

Colin Martin
The Bright Red L http://thebrightredl.com
Instructor Apps http://drivinginstructorapps.co.uk
Apps Video channel https://www.youtube.com/colinbythesea

#13 11-01-06 16:44:24

asimpsonlowe

Hi Guest...now i thought id just add my oppinions to this!  8-)...apart from any of the above advice, do check your tyres! sound obvious i know, but you can get dud tyres. :oops:....sound advice is to take no chances, and get it checked out by the people who know! I once saw a BMW shed a wheel on a roundabout...not a pretty site.

Andi

1.gif

#14 12-01-06 10:54:09

KevP

Just to reinforce Andi's comments, but have the tyres checked over by a reputable tyre fitters, Tyres on older cars may look perfectly OK tread wise but they may well be past their best. I recently was given a 1992 volvo after my father died. All the tyres were in very good condition tread wise, the car had very low mileage and the tyres were origonals. Despite the apparent good condition I had a 'Wobble' so checked the tyres, pressures, alignment and balancing, still had the wobble, it was then that a good tyre fitter had a look for me and the tread was actually beginning to part from the wire. A very dangerous sitation if you didn't know about it. If you run your hands around the tyre you may feel a slight bump on the treads, there is also a date stamped on the tyre wall, this tells the age of the tyre.

Kev

#15 12-01-06 15:32:46

asimpsonlowe

Yea, thanks for that Kev, People do overlook the actual tyre...because it looks ok peeps think it is ok, maynot be the case here, but it should be checked never the less.
I have come accross some dodgy peeps, wanting to sell a car on quickly, visiting the local vehicle scrap yard to buy a tyre  yikes......honestly...anything to save a quid! Especially when its not thier life on the line!! sad

Andi

1.gif

#16 09-02-06 21:58:43

kevdyas
Verified Member
Website

I seem to think you are meant to change tyres once every 6 years if they haven't been replaced prior to that.

Kevin.

DSA Approved Driving Instructor (Car)
Drive iQ Pro Coach
IAM Senior Observer/DIAmond Advanced Motorist/RoSPA - Gold
www.wheelsbydrivingschool.com

#17 10-02-06 00:45:38

pdi

being that in my younger years i was a tyre fitter dont like to admit it but there you go
anyway get the balance checked again as tyre companies do tend not to do it correctly if not it could be a buckled tyre or wheel and they are balancing to compensate it/ at 70 mph it is almost certainly this as otherwise you would notice it at lower speeds get them to change wheels front to back and re balance/otherwise it needs a thorough check out in a garage

#18 10-02-06 07:57:50

Badger

""........... i was a tyre fitter dont like to admit it ..""

I dont see why you shouldnt admit it.

The tyre fitter that looks after my vehicles is a true professional and gives good sound advice just as you have done.

It is also an extremely important job  upon which peoples lives can depend particularly when judging the risks involved where repairing punctures is concerned.

badger

#19 10-02-06 09:52:34

Moominhater

Could be your spod rod!

What on earth is a 'spod rod'  :?

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
event.png
[/url]

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#20 10-02-06 10:02:52

Ozzie

Could be your spod rod!

What on earth is a 'spod rod'  :?

The Spod Rod, is part of the steering mechanism and the gangle pin can wear through so this means new spod rod, new gangle pin and a possibly a new dongle as that tends to wear too. Not an expensive job, but time consuming.

Oz

#21 10-02-06 10:04:40

Moominhater

Are you winding me up Ozzie

event.png
[/url]

#22 10-02-06 12:13:12

MiniClassic
Verified Member

The Spod Rod, is part of the steering mechanism and the gangle pin can wear through so this means new spod rod, new gangle pin and a possibly a new dongle as that tends to wear too. Not an expensive job, but time consuming.

Oz
[/quote]

I was believing it up to the 'dongle' - please tell me you're not serious!?  :?

Ambition Driving College

#23 10-02-06 12:52:36

Ozzie

I know it as a dongle, but its a differential opposed gear linkage, or something like that, but if you take the initail letters dogl it became a "dongle", this connects to the spod road and the gangle pin holds the two together. If you do take it all apart its worth investing in a new gangle pin as they aren't really reusable, and only cost a quid.

Oz

Am I serious . . . . .  ..No  lol,

#24 10-02-06 13:24:59

Moominhater

Am I serious . . . . .  ..No  lol,

Few,  I thought I'd missed a page or ten in my learning about the car workings smile

event.png
[/url]

#25 10-02-06 13:30:32

MiniClassic
Verified Member

lol big_smile

You nearly had us!

Ambition Driving College

Board footer