You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 20-04-04 22:23:31

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

How to connect a in car camera ?

Hi

Last week i bought a Wireless Colour Video Camera, The camera is about the size of a 5 pence with a little antenna sticking out of the top. it runs of a nine volt batt or i can plug it into the car 12v, Same with the receiver.

The Radio AV Receiver is is 5 inch by 4inch, Also with a antenna.

I have tried this in the house and it works very well, even from another room.

I was thinking about putting the camera in front of the rear view mirror and then connecting the receiver to a video recorder 12v.

But here is the problem ! I can plug the video out lead into a TV and watch, But how do i get the video involved ?

Any ideas ?

20-04-04 22:23:31

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: How to connect a in car camera ?

#2 21-04-04 06:39:25

rusty
Verified Member
Website

Hi,
     On mine its video/audio in from camera/mike ( to vcr that is ) and video/audio out from vcr to display screen.
If u have vid out from cam then just run it to vid in on vcr.

#3 21-04-04 07:46:08

Bob_FOADS

If your VCR dosen't have a 'video / audio in' socket then you can use the scart plug assuming it has one of those. If it only has an arial in socket on the VCR then you need a thing called a modulator to convert the signal from the reciver to something toe VCR can use.

#4 21-04-04 16:02:09

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

I went to buy a scart socket and now it works, thanks.

what i now need is somthing to turn 12volt into 240v for the video recorder.

ps, the wireless camera (colour) and receiver was only £30 so if i can get this other thing to record the camera input then hopefully it will work in the car  :?

#5 21-04-04 16:53:38

Bob_FOADS

You're looking for a thing called an 'inverter'.
Be warned they can seriously drain the car battery if left on without the engine running. You may also suffer from 'lines' on the video due to the way inverters work. Should be able to get one from a camping / caravan shop or possibly bigger electrical retailers (radio shack, Maplins or Radio spares if you have one near)

#6 21-04-04 18:17:40

rusty
Verified Member
Website

Dont know how much invertors cost, I bought a 12v Roadstar VCR for about £70 new . LMK if you want the details.

#7 21-04-04 19:20:00

Bob_FOADS

Inverter MAY be slightly cheaper BUT I would go with a 12v VCR as sugested by rusty (assuming that's a recomendation from experiance rusty?). Inverters are notiriously problamatic particularly with sensitive equipmant like VCR's, I know that from experiance.

#8 21-04-04 21:30:03

adi
Verified Member
Website

Hi,

It all sounds a bit fiddly with the camera being 9volt, i take it it transmits the signal rather than via a lead?

I have a road-vision system which i put together myself. If you have a video and a screen already why not go to their website and order a camera with leads and windscreen mount etc. You can order all the bits seperately and it's cheaper than you think.

www.road-vision.co.uk

#9 21-04-04 23:05:00

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

Yes please give me a link, i will buy a 12v VCR, thanks for that bit of advice, lines on screen and all...

The camera is 12v but runs off 9v as well, it transmits to the receiver and then a lead goes from that to the VCR/TV.

I took it out on a trail run today with another instructor, it worked very well, we went over many bumps and dips but it didn't shake at all, and the pic was very good.

if everything goes belly up i shall go to the Road vision site and start a fresh smile  Thanks

#10 22-04-04 05:39:37

Ozzie

Just being the old cynic that I am.

Do you all inform your insurance companies that these cameras are fitted, as maybe it increases the risk of break-in and theft, and the possibility of a head injury in a heavy impact?

At a recent presentation at a local ADI Association one of the ADI sundry companies was saying that the magnetic bases on one of the systems, has been known to become unattached at the time of impact and you then have this large magnet bouncing around inside the car, waiting to hit something. Because of this the fixing system is being reassessed.

Oz

#11 22-04-04 07:09:48

Badger

Can anyone tell me what the benefit of a video system in a car is?

What is their actual teaching value?

Do they help in dealing with roundabouts for example where the biggest problem is  judgement to the right ?

I can see the possible benefit in debriefing parts of a Mock Test for example and in overtaking on dual carriageways and dealing with slip roads etc.

Manoeuvres ?

Badger

#12 22-04-04 07:33:10

rusty
Verified Member
Website

Approved Instructor,
  http://www.roadpro.co.uk/productsPromo. … &offset=10 is the link for the 12v player/recorder. Been useing mine since Dec 03 without any probs. Still pause is poor as the machine only has 2 heads but its rare I"ve needed it.

Badger,
            Got 2 cameras fitted 1 on a windscreen suction mount behind the rear view mirror.
The other camera is fitted via a mounting bracked behind my headrest and gives an excellent view of the cockpit and is very useful for monitoring and replay of steering/observations/gear changes. All important points for the manouveres.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#13 22-04-04 10:55:22

adi
Verified Member
Website

Do you all inform your insurance companies that these cameras are fitted, as maybe it increases the risk of break-in and theft, and the possibility of a head injury in a heavy impact?

I have my camera on a windscreen mount and all wires are hidden. The video is portable and is removed in seconds when i return home. When the unit is on the back seat i run the seat belt through a purpose built loop and i quickly pull the seat belt until its locked. The unit then won't move at all for the rest of the day, emergency stops or whatever. If it comes to that you can leave the video in the rucksack on the floor wedged behind your seat and you can use the remote to activate everything.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#14 22-04-04 11:11:32

adi
Verified Member
Website

Do they help in dealing with roundabouts for example where the biggest problem is judgement to the right ?

If you wanted a second camera you could attach the suction mount anywhere in the car to face in a particular direction. Personally i use the system to debrief complex or multilaned junctions. If the camera is in the windscreen you have an excellent view of the road ahead. When your pupil is relaxed parked up you can play back incidents and point out whatever you need to, to help the pupil understand the situation better. Next time round you rarely get a mistake. Most lessons i don't have to playback anything, just a normal lesson, but other times you can't do without it. It's also good for that extra security. You have good sound quality and the system can be a good selling point for female pupils who are unsure about lessons with a male instructor.

Should you be unfortunate enough to have a collision whilst out on the road the system can be invaluable to playback the moments leading upto any accident possibly proving who was to blame.

Everyday we all see some unbelievable driving by other road users cutting people up etc You will be amazed how many incidents you will collect on camera and transfer them onto a 'hazard' tape. Play the tape to a few pupils and they can appreciate more the value of defensive driving and using the mirrors to see who is 'lurking' behind them. Especially when they will recognise the junctions or roads on the film.

Well worth the investment in my opinion.

#15 22-04-04 23:52:04

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

Thanks Rusty  smile

Board footer