You are not logged in.

#1 16-04-04 22:48:05

Ozzie

Prices ? ? ?

Hi All,

Why do so few instructors put there prices on their web sites?

Most enquiries start off with "How much are your lessons?" If that question is not answered to their satisfaction, there isn't another question. So why not minimise the timewasters and publish your prices. Then those that do phone are genuinely interested.

Just food for thought.

Ozzie

16-04-04 22:48:05

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Prices ? ? ?

#2 16-04-04 23:14:56

Badger

Its a "hook"

If you dont quote a price he will more than likely ring which will give you a chance to close the sale.

If the first question is about costs its probably because he cant think of any other way of starting the conversation.

Most of my callers start with "I am enquiring about driving lessons" and I quickly counter with the usual questions to get them talking about their experience etc.

If they fire off the costs question first then I ask what sort of price they are looking for etc and get in the usual comments about cheapest aint the best and cheap up front means costs recovered later and so on.

I dont get many pupils through my website, probably one a month, but I get all my existing pupils to visit it for the Theory Mocks.  I had thought of putting prices on it that were several pounds more than I actually charge and then explaining that I was giving a discount.

But I dont need to do that yet !

Just my view

BAdger

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 17-04-04 07:11:39

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hi Ozzie,

We don't put our prices on the web as we charge differnt prices for different areas. We do put our price structure up.

If a caller starts off with "how much are your lessons?" I reply "as much as possible!" It breaks the ice and by turning the chat round like Badger, I get to find out more about them and what they are looking for. Closing the sale is then easy.

I did a test a few years ago to see how instructors answer their phones, it was awful :?  :cry:

One said "£12 quid mate" and then swore at me when I asked a question!

Another replied " I dunno, 'spose about £14"

But very few took any time to find out my driving experience or requirements.

I suppose it's skills like this that make people want to stay with big companies.

Regards,

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#4 17-04-04 12:03:42

Ozzie

bigred wrote:

We don't put our prices on the web as we charge differnt prices for different areas. We do put our price structure up.

Hi Bigred,

How do you manage to charge a different price for different areas, why should one area get a discount or a second area get a surcharge?

I know AA do the same policy, but I can't understand why, do you send a carp instructor to the cheaper ones, I doubt it, do they do less miles on a lesson doubtful, so why cheaper lessons?

I'm not picking on you Bigred, but I am just curious.

Ozzie.

#5 17-04-04 12:13:38

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hi Ozzie,

It's an unscientific art of charging as much as possible!

In Hythe we can easily charge £20 per hour, but if we tried that in Dover - just 10 miles away we wouldn't get any takers! and a further 20 miles brings you to Margate where £16 really is about max.

When we take enquiries we ask for their post code, if they book then great, but if lots don't book we ask the local instructors to check prices of other schools in that area.

We can then revise our prices to ensure a steady flow of pupils.

How do you come to the price you charge?

Regards,

#6 17-04-04 15:25:47

Badger

Hi Big Red

""But very few took any time to find out my driving experience or requirements""

I tried the same exercise only I was trying to find an Instructor to pass a pupil on to.

I made seven phone calls to appropriate ADIs listed in the Yellow Pages.

Out of seven calls I made one voice contact.

Two calls the phone just rang and rang and.........rang

Two calls left a message that never came back to me.

One call spoke to wife/girlfriend with child crying in background and dog barking (at phone presumably) left message never heard back.

One call transferred me to a mobile that just went dead......... three times.

The last call got the pupil and was duly grateful.

badger

#7 17-04-04 15:30:57

bigred
Verified Member
Website

I think people forget they are running a business sometimes!

If we miss a call either through being engaged or out briefly, then we call them back ASAP. Caller display is so useful, but customer service is essential.

Regards,

#8 17-04-04 15:43:27

Liesa

That goes for E-Mail enquiries aswell!

The number of times I call someone back and they're amazed that I've taken the time to return their call is unbelievable!

Never mind good bussiness sense it's common courtesy!

#9 17-04-04 15:49:02

DrivingAmbition
Verified Member
Website

Good question Ozzie.  I try to put everything on the site so when new customers call from the website they simply want to book lessons already knowing the prices and about Driving Ambition

1 hour lesson £24.00

1.5 hours £36.00

2 hours £48.00

10 hours £216.00 (paid in advance - save £24.00)

£160.00 Pass Plus

Mark

www.drivingambition.info
Brackley, Northamptonshire.
off Road for under 17's
driving%20ambition%20logo.gif

menu_badges.gif

#10 17-04-04 15:57:03

Bob_FOADS

I do post my prices on my website in general.
However with charges ranging from around £12 to £24 an hour it's a bit difficult to post all posibilities!

#11 17-04-04 19:58:33

Mike Geary

Hi Liesa lol  (aseiL) + all,

How I Structure my price scales, to make it to fit on a busness card & B easy to read & understand, big_smile 

This is how I do mine>>>>>..........

Standard Rate                             Student Rate
           £17.00         <<1 hour >>         £16.00
           £24.50         <<1.5 hours >       £23.00
           £31.00         <<2 hours>>>       £29.00

-5% for  12 hours of time (Payable on 1st Session.)

£193.80.   <<12 x1Hours>>      £182.40
            £186.20  << 8 x 1.5 hours>>   £174.80.
           £176.70   <6 x 2 hours  >>      £165.30. 

It's not so hard to do this & people can see the pricing differences

Mike Geary  :twisted:  :evil:  :twisted:  :evil:  :x  :oops:  8)  smile  big_smile  big_smile 

Bye 4 NOOOOOWWWWwwwwwwWWWWWWwwwwwWwWWWWWwww>>

#12 17-04-04 23:09:42

Lynne
Verified Member

Ozzie

Don't quote me on it but with regards to the AA I think it depends on the general charges in any particular area.  After all it's no good charging £22 ph if everyone else charges £17!!  I would suspect it also depends on what BSM charge too (their rates vary) and general market forces at the time.

Interestingly I've had 3 queries via my (very basic) website in the past 2 weeks.  I got myself a domain name and my son has just registered it with Google (or whatever it is you do to get found on a search engine).

The site's been up for about 6 weeks and I got 2 pupils from it within 2 weeks.  I also registered it with as many free Driving Instructor websites as I could!  Being it cost me to register the domain name then diddly squat it's more than paid for itself as less to buy from the AA.   I know they're not coming in in their droves but at least have got some response and still early days with more development to be done.

Lynne  big_smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#13 18-04-04 07:26:05

Ozzie

bigred wrote:

How do you come to the price you charge?

Basically I push my prices up, again to maximise profit for my instructors, we cover a fairly large area, but everyone gets charged the same rate, students, nurses, refresher courses the lot.

I have done "Cheap lessons" in the past when I worked for a local school and noticed that cheap lessons attracts cheap pupils who timewaste, are unreliable and often rude. Prices went up, the quality of lessons went up, profits went up, standards went up, and there was money left over to invest in better cars, days off etc. I charge about £2 more per hour than local instructors, but I have more work, as I have instructors working for me.

However we have a large school closing in on my area, charging £9 per hour for the first 3 hours, then £18 per hour after that!

If I may quote Prof. Russell from a recent seminar "Driving lessons are like buying knickers. Some want 3 for a £1 from the market, some want to pay £5 from M&S, but some are willing to pay £90 from Janet Raeger. Set your store out accordingly"

Ozzie

#14 18-04-04 07:29:09

Ozzie

Mike Geary wrote:

Hi Liesa lol  (aseiL) + all,

How I Structure my price scales, to make it to fit on a busness card & B easy to read & understand, big_smile 

This is how I do mine>>>>>..........

Standard Rate                             Student Rate
           £17.00         <<1 hour >>         £16.00
           £24.50         <<1.5 hours >       £23.00
           £31.00         <<2 hours>>>       £29.00

-5% for  12 hours of time (Payable on 1st Session.)

£193.80.   <<12 x1Hours>>      £182.40
            £186.20  << 8 x 1.5 hours>>   £174.80.
           £176.70   <6 x 2 hours  >>      £165.30. 

It's not so hard to do this & people can see the pricing differences

Mike Geary  :twisted:  :evil:  :twisted:  :evil:  :x  :oops:  8)  smile  big_smile  big_smile 

Bye 4 NOOOOOWWWWwwwwwwWWWWWWwwwwwWwWWWWWwww>>

So why do students get a discount?

Again not picking on you, just curious, in theory they should learn quicker, therefore cheaper, so they will save money anyway.

Oz

#15 18-04-04 08:22:07

Midge
Website

I also worked, for a short time, with a school who did "special offers", first three hours cheap, students discount etc.  , It did attract the "cheapies".
I also found that practically everyone is a student of one type or another, so I decided that I would not get involved in that, how do you prove/ disprove it anyway. You would have to say discount on production of student union card or something, and even I have one of those.  The only discount I give is £10 off if they pay for 10 lessons in advance.  I think this is fair if they are entrusting you with their money, and I round the prices down for 1.5 or 2 hour lessons,
One funny thing from those far off days - I had a pupil passed to me who had already had a few lessons with other schools, although he didn't seem to know much. After he had had the first three cheap lessons he didn't book any more, but I did pass his house frequently on other lessons, and I often saw different driving school cars there, either picking him up or dropping him off.  It suddenly struck me,  he was going to all the schools who advertised cheap beginners lessons, and then changing to another.  He still seemed to be learning well over a year later, every time a new school in the area started up, there he was.  He thought he was taking advantage of the "cheapies"  but didn't realise how much of his time was being wasted as each instructor tried to find out how much he knew and assess his driving ability.
Midge

Midge  -   Dip D.I.

#16 18-04-04 08:51:24

Mike Geary

Hi 1 & ALL
  Discounts
If you look at my pricing scales = more time (in A Session) U buy the cheaper it is for me. i.e. less down time inbetween lessons.

I based my pricing on  the average "good" SoM =At around £16/£17 per hr.
Then worked out what I think is "fair" + an atractive Price.

Also, when someone enquiries "How Much?" I say "That depends on how much Tuition time is bought." & also point out that the more time U have the more you can learn = You get to learn "How to do >>>>" and then you 'll "have time to practice this>>>>" Meaning  a better way for learning. "does this make sence?

Bye 4 NooooOOOOooooowwwWWWWWWwwwwww...............

Mike Geary

#17 18-04-04 10:06:09

Liesa

We charge according to the time of day a pupil can take their lessons.

How many of you are fully booked in the evening, or at the weekend, but have numerous spaces during the day?

Think about it, if you worked in any other profession, and were expected to work unsociable hours, you'd expect to get paid at a priemium price.

Most students get time off during the day, and funnily enough when they know it's cheaper during the day, they find time to have their lessons during normal hours!

#18 18-04-04 17:21:33

Ozzie

True Liesa.

I charge more for weekends as my associates were reluctant to do weekends, when there was loads of enquiries for weekend lessons, so we squeezed the price to £25 per hour, as you say its amazing how many can find a weekday slot.

Oz

#19 18-04-04 21:13:37

Mike Geary

Hi Midge &all,

The reason is basicly, Students are on less money sad  than working people, lol

If they have desieded to learn to drive, then on less money it sould mean they have a comitmanant to them sevlfs,

Time waisters, after 2nd "No Show" get the Big E  :x

"Does that make sence" now? wink  wink

Bye 4 NNNooooOOOOoowwwWWWWwwwwwww>>><><><><><><????

Mike Ge..... :!:  :!:

#20 18-04-04 21:26:51

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Many years ago when I was a student, No one gave me cut price beer, or money off supermarket shopping, and come to think of it nor driving lessons!

I sometimes give an introductory offer and block booking discounts but that's it.

A £1 per hour discount is a heavy chunk of your net profit!

Your gross profit is say £20 per hour, your fixed costs the car, fuel, insurance, adverts etc come possibly up to £10 per hour your wage is basically the rest, so £1 is 10% of your net profit.

I say put your prices up for every one!

Regards,

#21 18-04-04 21:48:15

Midge
Website

Trouble is, not all "students" are on poor money, not less sometimes than someone who is on very low pay.  A student nurse, for instance is on  higher pay than an apprentice bricklayer.  Student costs and grants are paid out of the tax I've been paying for 50 years, and no one ever gave me any discounts.  I find that if a student wants to learn to drive they are willing to do a part time job to pay for it.  This type of student learns better because they want to get the most for their money.  The ones whose parents pay for everything don't seem to put the same effort in somehow.  The main reason that I don't give discounts to students though, is as I stated before, it gets too complicated sorting out who should and who should not get the discount. 
Midge

Midge  -   Dip D.I.

#22 18-04-04 22:00:30

CarADI

If you do a good job instructing, it does not matter that you are more expensive than competitors.
Why are BSM more expensive than most other driving schools?
And why do ADIs go to a cheap school when starting out, or when leaving the likes of BSM?
Why not set your prices at the same as BSM?

#23 19-04-04 09:56:07

Liesa

You all mentioned the low paid, but what about those individuals that stay at home to look after the kids or a dependant relative?

Stay at home parents and I was one of them, don't seem to get any help with anything, that's another of the reasons why, we offer lessons at a cheaper price during the day.

We don't do student discounts or block bookings, and find it works really well, it's also a very, very straight forward pricing policy!

#24 19-04-04 15:29:21

Midge
Website

You are right Liesa, I had forgotten the people who stay at home to bring their children up properly.   I think next time I put my prices up I will consider making the evening lessons dearer, I could do with less evening work anyway.

Midge  -   Dip D.I.

#25 19-04-04 19:15:28

Ozzie

So these poor students with no money to pay for lessons or their £1000 insurance premium, how are they going to buy a car, insure it, tax it, run it. If you look at the expense of running a car, the money spent on driving lessons is small change.

Student discount ? No chance.

Ozzie

Board footer