You are not logged in.

#1 11-04-04 17:34:26

AliceM

Mock Test myself

Hi
I have no real option but to do a mock test for my pupils myself as I run my own school and the other instructors I know drive other cars.  I try and set up a Mock Test after I have covered all the syllabus and the pupil has passed their theory (no point in seeing how good they are if they cannot put in for the test).  I always tell them that the idea is to see what areas of weakness the test will identify that we need to work on prior to their real test.  I must say I find it very beneficial for myself as I often notice a number of points that I had not realised they were missing consistently: eg: blind spots which I had probably been commenting on, but not making them practise!  Some of my pupils take them very seriously and go to pieces which I feel is quite beneficial (ie get some of the nerves over on the mock rather than the real thing!).
I always take them on a real test route (having sat in the back of a real test and noted the route) as it covers the whole range of driving necessary.  I agree that they do not really learn anything and I would never advocate doing more than one or two mocks, but they certainly have their place in checking what remains to be worked on.

11-04-04 17:34:26

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Mock Test myself

#2 11-04-04 18:41:19

Midge
Website

I also work by myself now,(semi retired after over 20 years) but I find that other instructors in the area are quite willing to do a mock test in my car, and I can arrange to do a mock test for them in their car.  This makes it more like the real thing, especially for me as there are no female examiners in my area.

I used to employ other instructors, I found that taking on a PDI and helping with their training worked fine, but eventually they will prefer to work for themselves, that's ok by me. Taking on a trained person never seemed to work.  I suppose if they weren't up to getting the business for themselves, there was a reason for it, usually sloppy work or timekeeping.
Midge

Midge  -   Dip D.I.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 11-04-04 19:50:46

adi
Verified Member
Website

I am not sure i would want to go out in another instructors car. I have been unfortunate enough to have had a few clumsy drivers go into my car whilst out on lessons, imagine returning back from a mock with a bashed up rear end ! I am not sure how you would stand insurance wise either? Don't take this the wrong way i am not knocking what is a great idea, but be careful.

#4 12-04-04 11:42:50

Midge
Website

I have my car insured for any instructor, as a few of us all help one another out in case of sickness, holidays, mock test etc.  It's also insured for learners from 16 years, if their licence permits, and underage off road tuition. My insurance also covers me to use the pupils own car for my business.  It is still a fairly cheap insurance from the DIA, although in other areas I notice that others quote cheaper.  I tried the lot and DIA was the best for me.
Midge

Midge  -   Dip D.I.

#5 13-04-04 17:14:45

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

I use my car for mock test with other instructors, after all they will be doing the test in the car they are used to 'mine' i wouldn't ask any one to do a mock test in another car, for many reasons.

I do have insurance that does cover any other instructor to take people out on mock test, and/or drive the car.

If the worst came to it I'm sure the instructor would use the dual controls, As i would. But its down to me making sure that i don't send them on a mock test till they can drive quite well.

It helps many people doing this mock with another instructor, Of
course not all take a mock in this way but i do recommend it !

Board footer