You are not logged in.

#1 12-08-05 13:17:08

mungo63
Verified Member

turn in the road

A quick question. On the t.i.r. my trainer has taught me not to steer the wheels back the other way just before you reach the kerb.(she says that it complicates the manouever too much) In all the training manuals it says to steer back just before reaching the kerb. On my pt3 which should I use? Any thoughts would be helpful
Thanks

Lisa ADI

12-08-05 13:17:08

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: turn in the road

#2 12-08-05 13:32:04

T

I teach all my pupils to steer to full lock before reaching the kerb and there's no complications. Try it and see for yourself rather than take 1 persons word on it as that is their personal view based on their personal experience.

#3 12-08-05 13:39:42

Midge
Website

I've always taught my pupils to change the steering to prepare the wheels for the next movement.   It's never caused any problems.  On most roads it is easy to get full lock first,   on narrow ones,   if you don't change the steering,  they'll  be going backwards and forwards for ever.

Midge  -   Dip D.I.

#4 12-08-05 13:55:01

Morgan
Verified Member

Never heard any say do not steer the wheels back the other way just before you reach the kerb...

I was taught to steer some, but recently a different instructor suggested the full lock method described by T and as long as you move slowly it never fails, even on some pretty narrow roads...which I tied just to prove him wrong and failed  :cry:

#5 12-08-05 16:18:56

Airmiles

Evening mungo,

Suggest you get a Trainer worthy of the name, one who actually knows what they are supposed to know about the subject.

I guess she is a cheapo, playing at being a Trainer?

Do you want to be one of the 3000 who succeed this year or one of the 20000 who do not?

It's make up your mind time!

#6 12-08-05 16:54:16

luchell

counter steering before you reach the kerb on either side i find is essential to the manouvre. as do my pupils. you try pulling away when your wheels are set the other way! its not complicated to teach at all. all mine get the hang of it quickly.

in every decent manual ive read it talks about counter steering and why it is important. i would also wonder who this trainer is as that is basic stuff.  after achieving full lock to get across the road a metre away from the approaching kerb approx they must counter steer to set them up for the next part.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#7 12-08-05 20:22:35

firehydrant

luchell wrote:

i would also wonder who this trainer is as that is basic stuff.

Doesn't it worry you that people are doing their own thing instead of doing what is consistent and works?

Just imagine the problems if any of her students ever go with other ADIs. We all know how hard it is to untrain someone of bad habits.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 12-08-05 20:27:09

Anonymous

mungo63 wrote:

A quick question. On the t.i.r. my trainer has taught me not to steer the wheels back the other way just before you reach the kerb.(she says that it complicates the manouever too much) In all the training manuals it says to steer back just before reaching the kerb. On my pt3 which should I use? Any thoughts would be helpful
Thanks

Turning from right full lock to left full lock takes a bit of doing at first when moving forward, imagine how more difficult it is sitting half way round in the seat looking out of the back window struggling with clutch control?

Don't use push pull steering method when going for full lock, use the rotational steering method.

Wesex.

#9 12-08-05 20:27:13

sparkle

T wrote:

I teach all my pupils to steer to full lock before reaching the kerb and there's no complications. Try it and see for yourself rather than take 1 persons word on it as that is their personal view based on their personal experience.

Im the same.

Why steer even more than you have to?

Full lock for me.

Im not a cheapo either wink

#10 12-08-05 20:31:43

sparkle

Airmiles wrote:

Evening mungo,

Suggest you get a Trainer worthy of the name, one who actually knows what they are supposed to know about the subject.

I guess she is a cheapo, playing at being a Trainer?

Do you want to be one of the 3000 who succeed this year or one of the 20000 who do not?

It's make up your mind time!

20.gif20.gif20.gif20.gif

#11 12-08-05 20:33:24

Anonymous

eh up Sparkle lost for words?   wink

Wessex.

#12 12-08-05 20:35:44

sparkle

Wessex wrote:

eh up Sparkle lost for words?   wink

Wessex.

I can only but laugh at that tosh posted previously   roll  thought smileys do it better

#13 12-08-05 20:39:14

Anonymous

I was only pulling your leg.  One of them anyway.  There were no smileys though that's what made me think you'd hit submit in error.

Have you slept on it yet?

Wessex.

#14 12-08-05 20:42:26

ADI349
Verified Member

If you always do what you have always done you will only achieve what you have always achieved.

Try something different. 

Do what ever works for you. Provided it is safe,  legal  and convenient and it achieves the objective does it really matter.

Steve W

If you only do what you've always done, you will only achieve what you've always achieved

#15 12-08-05 20:42:52

sparkle

I was refering to the posting about turn in the road & cheapo trainers.

I must be a very cheapo trainer then coz i dont make any one steer back on tir.. what a waste of time that is!!!!

#16 12-08-05 22:32:03

BONNY1708

What's that Sparkle, finally admitting to being cheap!!!!! tongue

BONNY

#17 12-08-05 22:39:22

sparkle

BONNY1708 wrote:

BONNY

AS CHIPS5.gif

#18 13-08-05 09:34:46

Django

sparkle wrote:
BONNY1708 wrote:

BONNY

AS CHIPS5.gif

So I've heard tongue   lol  lol  lol

Anyway cheap doesn't have to mean sub standard. I bought a guitar for £200 that is in the £500 bracket, you may say bargin. Therefore if you manage to pay less for tuition is this a bargin or is it just poor quality? Unless you all attended these sessions and conferred after then you cannot judge the content on just one posting. She must be offering a reasonable service or surely whe would be out of business. Just playing devils advocate here.

#19 13-08-05 09:56:46

sparkle

Django wrote:

. She must be offering a reasonable service or surely whe would be out of business. Just playing devils advocate here.

Its not even that Pete, the woman is a trainer training how I train my pupils to tir..and it works..its worked for over 12 years of my driving lifetime and its worked for countless tests ive taken up..

No body has said she is cheap here except one person  roll  thankyou Airmiles.

#20 13-08-05 10:35:55

Airmiles

Sparkle, deary,

You may have / or have not, noticed there is a ? in my original line about 'cheapo'.

But her TIR teaching method is most definately not best practice in how to do this manouvre.

RoSPA, IAM, Cardington, police top grade experts would view her method as complete ************ and as has been said by others here, counter steering is the one to do.

What this woman Trainer is playing at is mind boggling.

What other 'unorthodoxy' is she teaching to unsuspecting punters forking out £3000 or more ?

#21 13-08-05 10:43:06

sparkle

Airmiles wrote:

What other 'unorthodoxy' is she teaching to unsuspecting punters forking out £3000 or more ?

Why £3000? she might be like me and charge as they go... :idea:

How about, those that want to start steering back do just that..and those with ultra light steering do the full lock thing and we're all happy.

Just a suggestion :twisted:

If its THAT bad to full lock it over..why is it not marked on the L test then? ive not yet to date had an error on tir...i think its rare to anyway.

#22 13-08-05 10:57:47

Airmiles

'Best practice' is not necessarily an L test requirement, unless road safety is affected.

'Experts' like ADIs, etc, should always display best practice,

What 'she' is doing is not.

Absolutely not.

Pity her punters, who by the end of training will have paid £3000, iisshh.

#23 13-08-05 11:01:55

Anonymous

Everyone to their own I suppose but it does seem to make a bit of sense to at least begin to counter steering before the end of each phase.  What limits the full counter steer is the proximity of the kerb at the start of the counter steer.

Wide roads = less or no counter steer
Narrower roads = more or full counter steer.

We all teach differently and there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Wessex.

#24 13-08-05 11:11:05

sparkle

Airmiles wrote:

Pity her punters, who by the end of training will have paid £3000, iisshh.

I paid under 1 grand for my entire training including all tests fee's not bad for a first time pass  wink ..and my trainer certainly wasnt shoddy.

What your really saying Airmiles is you also pitty my pupils...arnt you?

Like Wessex said, more than one way to skin a cat.

#25 13-08-05 11:40:49

Badger

I think someone has already said that an experienced driver will be able to counter steer at the end of the first two legs of a TIR and that the narrower the road the greater the benefit of doing so.

Learners however take longer to achieve that and some not even by the time the test arrives.

On an accompanied test once I noticed that my pupil did not counter steer at all on her TIR.  She had completely forgotten to do so despite having done it perfectly 20 minutes earlier.

The DE did not award a fault for this as the car was completely under control and the manoeuvre was accurate and quickly executed.

Counter steering should be taught and should be aimed at because it is common sense for the wheels to be facing the next direction at the end of any leg.

Otherwise there is either dry steering or a wasted movement in the wrong direction whilst the steering is changed.

Just my view

Badger

Board footer