You are not logged in.

#1 07-04-04 20:04:15

churchy

PDI Question

Even at this early stage people are throwing at me what kind of car to use.  So far the best seem to be the Ford KA and the Ford Fiesta TDCi.

The reason people keep sayind the KA is because it has 4 wheels in each corner (sounds weird). And the Fiesta TDCi because it recgonises when the pupil is about to stall and injects more fuel to stop a stall.

Is this true?  Any comments appreciated.   8)

07-04-04 20:04:15

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: PDI Question

#2 07-04-04 20:39:57

DAVE-ADI

Unless you are driving a reliant,  all cars have a wheel at the four corners?  roll

Which car you use is down to personal choice and everyone will give you a different opinion.  There is another thread on this very subject to help you decide,  but the best way to decide is to test drive the various models and then choose the one that impresses you most. 

Remember, you will be sat in it for hours at a time, so it must be right for you.  Choose the best you can afford.
Extras like aircon,  for example,  make the job much more comfortable, because in the summer you and your pupils keep cool, and in the winter aircon prevents windows from misting up,  very important when carrying out the reverse exercises.

By all means listen to the pros and cons,  but don't accept just one person's opinion, because they are almost certainly bound to be biased one way or the other.

Also, look in your area which is the most popular car with driving schools (Not BSM or AA because their instructors don't have a choice).

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 07-04-04 20:51:48

churchy

DAVE-ADI wrote:

Unless you are driving a reliant,  all cars have a wheel at the four corners?  roll

Which car you use is down to personal choice and everyone will give you a different opinion.  There is another thread on this very subject to help you decide,  but the best way to decide is to test drive the various models and then choose the one that impresses you most. 

Remember, you will be sat in it for hours at a time, so it must be right for you.  Choose the best you can afford.
Extras like aircon,  for example,  make the job much more comfortable, because in the summer you and your pupils keep cool, and in the winter aircon prevents windows from misting up,  very important when carrying out the reverse exercises.

By all means listen to the pros and cons,  but don't accept just one person's opinion, because they are almost certainly bound to be biased one way or the other.

Also, look in your area which is the most popular car with driving schools (Not BSM or AA because their instructors don't have a choice).

Going back to the KA, i meant it has each wheel literally in each corner, i used to have one and there was very little between the end of the car and each wheel.

In my area there seems to be a whole showroom of cars,  everything from daewoo to vw.

#4 07-04-04 21:31:29

Michaela7
Website

Hi churchy,

As regards which car to choose have you looked at the "pros and cons of your car" topic on this forum? It will give you some ideas about the cars others use and maybe help you to narrow down a short list to test drive. I personally have a Citroen C3 and think it's great but we all have different likes and dislikes so at the end of the day it's down to your own preferences.

Hope this helps and happy car hunting! smile

Friendly, female Instructor! smile

Arrow School of Motoring

Car+small+picture.jpg

#5 07-04-04 22:12:00

DAVE-ADI

I was being a little bit petulant regarding the reliant remark Churchy.  I know what you mean about the KA, it has to have wheels right at the corner or there wouldn't be any room to get in  lol  lol

If you have a spare hour or two, do as I suggest and go round to the showrooms for a test drive.  If they think you might be interested they will let you have go.   Before getting my previous car I went around several dealers, and the Renault one let me have a car for half a day. (I left mine there as security).

#6 11-04-04 18:05:11

AliceM

Personally I drive a Ford Fiesta petrol (1.25 being changed to a 1.4 soon) and would recommend it for various reasons including the large back window which makes reversing round the left hand corner much easier (you can keep a sliver of the corner in view the whole time) than in some cars. 

The main point I would like to make is that you should ask if the manufacturer has a Driving School discount and if so whether this is available to a PDI.  I got the discount from Ford once I had passed my Part 2 and had an ADI number.  This can make a big difference.

All the best
smile

Board footer