You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 06-04-04 21:36:17

Michaela7
Website

HPT - HELP, anyone else had trouble with this?

Has anyone had a pupil who is unable to pass the hazard perception element of the theory test?

One of my pupils, who I know has studied hard, has failed his theory test twice becuase of hazard perception. Both times he scored 35/35 for the theory element and I knew he would as it was clear on his lessons that he had been studying. He bought a CDrom to practice with on his computer which contained the hazard perception practice video clips - on these practice sessions he passed every time. We have of course dealt with it on lessons and he has no problems. After he failed the first test I spent a lot of time working with him on it using all sorts of material including DVD's and real life practice - all of which he responded excelently to, yet he can not pass the test.

He was so frustrated when he failed the last test that he spoke to staff at the test centre, they could offer him no explanation as to why he failed. One person advised him that if he wanted to pass next time the best thing would be to click all the way through each clip until the flags filled three quaters of the screen and that way he would probably get the points??!! This is not spotting the hazard but an exercise in mouse clicking ability!

Has anyone got any suggestions on how I can help him to pass the next test. I am at a complete loss. :?  All suggestions gratefully received and much appreciated. Thanks

Friendly, female Instructor! smile

Arrow School of Motoring

Car+small+picture.jpg

06-04-04 21:36:17

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: HPT - HELP, anyone else had trouble with this?

#2 06-04-04 21:41:44

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

Hi,

I have had this problem before, I told the lad to fill at least one full line at the bottom of the screen (at least) for every clip.

On his second test, He passed.
I know its not the right way to go about it but it worked for him.

#3 06-04-04 21:49:08

Michaela7
Website

Thanks. I guess that's just what I'll have to tell him to do then! smile Fingers crossed it will work as he's fed up with lashing out £20.50 a time for his tests. He told me he thinks it's a money making scam on the part of the DSA :!:

Friendly, female Instructor! smile

Arrow School of Motoring

Car+small+picture.jpg

#4 07-04-04 15:14:49

Liesa

I've had a few with this problem, and it always seems to to be the ones that are more aware, of what's going on around them.

I find the ones that have useless HP skills, never have a problem with the test and pass it 1st time!

It just goes to show that, it really is a game and not very realistic!

The way I get them to deal with it is, watch the clip as if you were actually driving the car, as soon as you'd take any action click the mouse, then click it again for good luck!

Repeat this as the clip proceeds and click for what would be every mirror check, easing off the gas, slowing and stopping!

I've found that those with the better HP skills, tend to click far too early to score on the test, hence they come back with a rather low score!

#5 07-04-04 19:57:50

churchy

As a PDI the HPT is the one thing that worries me,  I have easily scored 90% plus on many Mock theory tests but my HPT scores are well below the figure required to pass,  it has definetly been designed for the Nintendo generation of which i am at the wrong end.  sad

All i need is some way of getting past the HPT part.

Have any ADI's here actually taken the test yet?

#6 10-04-04 18:03:26

vince

Hi All,
       I'm using an HPT cd on which the speil says " the closest thing to the actual test", I cannot pass it! I pick up what I consider to be developing hazards only to recieve the message "The system has detected you are randomly clicking, you will receive no points in this clip!"....but I'm not!!!! I see a hazard and click, when, through frustration, I run the cd without clicking, to be honest, I'm amazed at what is not considered a potential hazard in the result table! 1 clip, thick fog, cars driving without lights, cars with no lights, cars parked on bends, roadworks signs, car approaching at speed from left, obstructed view at crossing, pedestrian walking between two parked lorries, apparently the only scoring hazard is the pedestrian.
      I begin to understand the assertion that ADI's are too highly trained to pass the test easily.
      take care out there ,.,.Vince wink

#7 10-04-04 19:20:46

adi
Verified Member
Website

I don't think i have had many fail on the hazard perception element. I think the less prepared you are for it the better. I seem to get low scores myself as i spot the hazards 'too soon'!

The crazy thing is, even when pupils pass the HPT most still tend to miss even the most obvious dangers whilst out on the road!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 10-04-04 19:46:52

churchy

vince wrote:

Hi All,
       I'm using an HPT cd on which the speil says " the closest thing to the actual test", I cannot pass it! I pick up what I consider to be developing hazards only to recieve the message "The system has detected you are randomly clicking, you will receive no points in this clip!"....but I'm not!!!! I see a hazard and click, when, through frustration, I run the cd without clicking, to be honest, I'm amazed at what is not considered a potential hazard in the result table! 1 clip, thick fog, cars driving without lights, cars with no lights, cars parked on bends, roadworks signs, car approaching at speed from left, obstructed view at crossing, pedestrian walking between two parked lorries, apparently the only scoring hazard is the pedestrian.
      I begin to understand the assertion that ADI's are too highly trained to pass the test easily.
      take care out there ,.,.Vince wink

I had the same problem today, it decided I was cheating and gave me a big fat 0 for the whole test, this sucks.   :cry:

#9 11-04-04 17:48:34

AliceM

Hi
My 17 year old son failed his HPT twice even though he is a good driver with no problem in real life with Hazard perception.  I found out that he was trying not to click too often (scared of being failed for cheating) and the third time I got him to click every time he saw something moving.  It is no good worrying about the fact that fog, road works, cars parked on a corner and hazard warning signs are all "hazards" in real life   roll  - all the HPT test is interested in is something that can develop into a bigger hazard (ie something they can score 5 points for), so any moving thing could be the hazard: a dog could run across the road, the person in the car could open the door, the pedestrian could cross the street, the bicycle could pull out past the lorry, the lorry could pull out of the side street without stopping.  The key seems to be looking well ahead and to the sides.  And if you are an ADI click any developing hazard twice in case you clicked too soon.

Good luck with getting your pupil through

Board footer