You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 06-04-04 19:50:49

jeremiah
Verified Member

test waiting times,how do you deal with them

i am a pdi 10 weeks in.
one problem i have is many of my students will be ready long before test dates and am i know i will be charging them 40 odd quid a week just to keep them on track.
some i am telling to apply for a test without a clue if they will be ready. but with a 3 and a half month wait what else can i do.
how do you get around long waiting times for tests. my students are now being offerred mid august at west wickham. i told one as soon as her theory was passed we will apply and she was offered early may at wallington. she was well pleased until i told her no way would we be at test standard by then.
sadness all around as she had to cancel only to be told she can have mid aug.
help please.

06-04-04 19:50:49

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: test waiting times,how do you deal with them

#2 06-04-04 20:04:10

adi
Verified Member
Website

Grin and bear it unfortunately. We have all been there and sometimes with 4 month waiting lists you end up with pupils who could do with a few more hours, go to test and surprise, surprise, fail. I tend to wait until pupils can drive independently with just a few errors and then book. I have many who are test ready and i have reduced lessons to every two weeks whilst they 'wait' for the date. Result is, more chance of passing with a better quality drive, less pressure on you and your pupil, pass rates don't plummet and it's fairer on the examiners! It's not your fault that the waiting times are long at the moment but don't give in to pressure and book way too early ending up with pupils going to test with 'fingers crossed' as no one will thank you for it.

#3 06-04-04 21:15:58

jeremiah
Verified Member

thts what i have been doing, by the time they pass the theory they are well into 10 0r so hours, as you say just got to live with it i suppose.got a lot to learn about this industry.
thanks

#4 06-04-04 21:46:50

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

Once they pass the theory test i get them to book a driving test date, Telling them that if 14 days before the test they take a mock test with another instructor and pass it or close enough then they keep the test date, If not then they must change it or i cant let them take the test in my car.

Most are ready, But some once the test is booked slack off taking lessons
so making sure Ive told them they cant take it if they are not ready, gets them to keep up with the lessons as we have something to aim for and they know where they stand.

#5 13-04-04 15:05:58

AliceM

The other thing to do when you are faced with long waiting times is to book mid August (or whatever) and then keep ringing up for a cancellation (or get the pupil to do this).  Sometimes you can get a short notice cancellation - though watch out you don't have to cancel too many lessons yourself to fit the test in.

Our local test centres have got their waiting times down to 5-6 weeks!  This is because they have been successful in recruiting more examiners.  You could try hassling your local SE / DSA to encourage them to get the times down.

Board footer