You are not logged in.

#1 25-06-17 23:31:12

Lady-Hynarc
Verified Member

Going Left...or not!

Hi All,

It always surprises me when I come across something in the car that no-one has ever done before.  Now this is one that has happened before but very rarely until today.  I have a pupil who consistently - and I mean consistently - keeps not turning left.  Approaching a mini roundabout with the instruction to turn left, mirror checks and signal done and then turns right.  Not once but 4 times on different roundabouts mini and larger, sometimes right, sometimes straight on but never left in spite of that being the intention.  I have never encountered it as bad as this before and she has absolutely no idea why.  Does anyone have any insights?

Thanks in advance

25-06-17 23:31:12

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Going Left...or not!

#2 26-06-17 07:56:45

Joe24
Verified Member

You must have quiet roundabouts. If I let that happen in my area (4 times) I'd put money on a near death experience!! mad  Saying that none of the locals know how to signal correctly so we might well just blend right in  roll

I have numerous pupils who mix up left and rights. Generally I can tell when it's going to happen and a little reminder in advance "usually" sorts it out. Sometimes driving fry's the part of the brain that controls left and right. It's a common thing. Question is do we just keep letting them do it or do we intervene? How many times do we let them signal left but actually turn right? The are certain faults we can safely let them repeat over and over again. There are certain faults that they really can't repeat over and over again. (If we are going to live) Yes we don't want to intervene unnecessarily but sometimes intervening is what makes things change. (And keeps us all safe!)

I'm sure you've tried it but stressing the word LEFT and hand gesturing/pointing left will often work. (Examiners will happily do the pointing on test if you explain in advance that their left and rights get mixed up) Swap seats and demo some lefts. (Sounds stupid to the average motorist but demo's sometimes work wonders with new drivers)
Capital L on the pupils left thumb. Capital R on the pupils right thumb. I have a felt tip pen on board for that job alone.

Right I'm off to do some lessons  big_smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 26-06-17 09:11:03

Lady-Hynarc
Verified Member

Joe24 wrote:

You must have quiet roundabouts. If I let that happen in my area (4 times) I'd put money on a near death experience!! mad  Saying that none of the locals know how to signal correctly so we might well just blend right in  roll

I have numerous pupils who mix up left and rights. Generally I can tell when it's going to happen and a little reminder in advance "usually" sorts it out. Sometimes driving fry's the part of the brain that controls left and right. It's a common thing. Question is do we just keep letting them do it or do we intervene? How many times do we let them signal left but actually turn right? The are certain faults we can safely let them repeat over and over again. There are certain faults that they really can't repeat over and over again. (If we are going to live) Yes we don't want to intervene unnecessarily but sometimes intervening is what makes things change. (And keeps us all safe!)

I'm sure you've tried it but stressing the word LEFT and hand gesturing/pointing left will often work. (Examiners will happily do the pointing on test if you explain in advance that their left and rights get mixed up) Swap seats and demo some lefts. (Sounds stupid to the average motorist but demo's sometimes work wonders with new drivers)
Capital L on the pupils left thumb. Capital R on the pupils right thumb. I have a felt tip pen on board for that job alone.

Right I'm off to do some lessons  big_smile

It was late Sunday afternoon on a business park so quiet it certainly was.  The first 3 times I caught it before she went too far.  The last one I figured she'd do it so I checked it was safe to do and then let her do it - there was no danger at all.  I don't think this is getting left and right mixed up - I've had those and they are usually easy to fix.  This seems to be a complete blanking of the road on the left.  We've tried 'spotting' the exit beforehand and that seems to have helped a little but because it is so unpredicatable it is impossible to know for sure and it hasn't fixed it completely.  It's not an issue of knowing left and right, it's a disconnect between the decision and the action.  I've never encountered this 'blanking' before...

#4 26-06-17 09:40:18

Mentor
Verified Member

I have experienced this a few times recently. It is not a problem with left and right. My view is it's caused by the pupil losing the thread in their planning process. Sometimes they get so hung up with the look phase that they simply forget to move onto the turn quickly enough and miss the exit. In such circumstances they will just follow the car in front or take the next available exit. I find it helps to get them to say the MSPSL routine on approach or to ask which exit are we taking?, before the look phase. They will never be able to tell you why they went the wrong way as in doing so they had no process in their mind to do it. Scary though!

#5 14-07-17 15:01:43

Wanderer

I don't think this is a mix up of left and right.
I think it's more looking but not seeing the whole picture resulting in poor planning.
I have had several pupils take road ahead or the second exit on roundabouts.
Guess what, its always the same two roundabouts.
Both roundabouts are on 50mph dual carriageways. One the left turn is quite sharp the other is partially hidden by overgrown shrubbery. So both are difficult to see from afar.
I believe the pupils who miss these exits are concentrating too much to the right, getting too focused on the traffic there and failing to see the required exit because they look to the left too late.
Solution is simply to get the pupil to move their eyes more, looking both ways as they approach the roundabout, maybe if required reduce speed a little earlier to give them more time and not get too worried or focused on traffic to the right.

#6 26-07-17 19:56:29

Pjc

Hi Lady-Hynarc
I know I'm coming in on this thread a bit late but it interests me.

Please don't take offence but I am wondering what it is that made you believe that she was ready for roundabouts or was it her choice?

Last edited by Pjc (26-07-17 20:05:10)

#7 27-07-17 07:28:05

ADIAlex

This is interesting, have you tried adding "first" exit and if so does it still happen? I did have a problem similar to this years ago and found that if I changed the way I gave the instruction so that left was the last word They heard it solved the issue in most cases. The pupil was a foreign national and according to my DD who was studying linguistics it was to do with English not being the first language.

My other car is a mini

Board footer