You are not logged in.

#1 21-05-17 15:55:19

Lady-Hynarc
Verified Member

Emergency Action

I was doing a dual carriageway lesson today and one of the things I talk about is the risk posed by steering too sharply.  I recount an example where I saw a car driven by a somewhat ashen young girl travelling sideways down a hill on a dual carriageway at high speed in very heavy rain.  Obviously caused by a combination of poor grip, sharp steering, poor judgement, heavy rain etc. my pupil asked what they should do if this ever happened to them.  I must admit to being stumped.  When the tyres start to grip, presumably the car will set off again either straight into the (concrete) central reservation or if the wheels are turned whiplash back across the carriageway.  Should the driver stop the wheels to avoid either scenario?  Clutch up/down?  Brake?  Get out? (His suggestion...!)  I did point out that the driver is pretty much at the mercy of gravity and momentum (f***ed) and it is actually better not to get into the situation in the first place but said I would ask here.

21-05-17 15:55:19

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Emergency Action

#2 21-05-17 16:31:59

reddragonbus
Verified Member

Sounds like the vehicle aquaplaned, not really much you can do to cure that once it has happened other than driving to the conditions.

LGV PCV Instructor DVSA ADI Fleet

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 22-05-17 20:52:21

kaf
Verified Member
Website

The theory is.
Don't try to steer or brake.
Keep car in straight line.
Clutch down to avoid engine braking.
Once it goes sideways, you are a passenger.

Board footer