You are not logged in.

#1 16-05-17 17:14:16

Lady-Hynarc
Verified Member

On the edge...?

Something that cropped up on a lesson today and I must admit this has never occurred to me before.  When my pupil was attempting to reverse and looking over her left shoulder, she was struggling to see because the rim of her glasses were getting in the way.  She took off her glasses and continued to reverse.  Now she is quite fortunate in that she can drive either with or without them - she was wearing them today to avoid eye-strain (exam revision...) - but I wondered firstly if anyone has ever come across this problem before and how it would be perceived on test?  (I think I know the answer to the second one!)

16-05-17 17:14:16

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: On the edge...?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 16-05-17 17:54:23

kaf
Verified Member
Website

Not come across the problem before.
Maybe a change of glasses style would Help?

I think we both know the answer to second part.

#3 17-05-17 06:04:07

richie1966
Verified Member

Recent experience of mine. At start of test DE asks pupil to read number plate, pupil puts on glasses and reads number plate. DE says lead the way to car, pupil takes off glasses. DE tells pupil "if you need glasses to read number plate you MUST wear them for the duration of the test".

#4 17-05-17 07:29:56

Triplea35
Verified Member

When I first started wearing glasses I found it quite noticeable and disconcerting how my vision was affected by not only the rim, but also periphral vision being distorted. Particularly noticeable when reversing. Apparently your brain learns to adapt to this over time, and a physical remedy is also to turn the head more.
I would think she needs to persevere wearing the glasses and adapt to them or make the choice not to wear them when driving.
Having said that I have had a pupil recently who didn't need to wear them and could just pass the minimum standard without, but the standard of her driving improved dramatically when she did wear them, and could read roadsigns etc much earlier.

#5 17-05-17 12:00:20

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
This is why I always go for the same style of glasses, largish lenses with narrow rims for forward fields/peripheries without too much head moving aqnd narrow arms so that for reversing I can see enough past the side of the glasses.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 17-05-17 21:37:06

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

pegasus wrote:

This is why I always go for the same style of glasses, largish lenses with narrow rims for forward fields/peripheries without too much head moving aqnd narrow arms so that for reversing I can see enough past the side of the glasses.

I don't wear glasses for normal vision - yet*, but I wear large-lens wire-rimmed sunglasses for much the same reason.
*(I have a feeling I'll be needing glasses after my trip to SpecSavers coming up soon).

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

Board footer