You are not logged in.

#1 07-05-17 12:00:36

Triplea35
Verified Member

Sequential Changing.

I have a pupil, a mature lady, who really is hard work but slowly improving. Main issue at the moment though is that without prompting she is often too fast on approach, and ALWAYS forgets to change gear down when slowed to turn, or on approach at roundabouts. Despite my best efforts we are just not progressing with this issue.
Pondering what else we can do, thought that maybe to get her to think more about gears to get her to sequential change down.
I know it is not strictly reccomended but many still do it and I have had experienced drivers do it on tests. I usually explain block changing and encourage them to try it but not something I would prioritise if time limited towards test.
I have never actually considered actually teaching it though, so just wondered on anyone's views on this, or if actually considered/resorted to teaching it?

07-05-17 12:00:36

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Sequential Changing.

#2 07-05-17 22:03:06

reddragonbus
Verified Member

If the problem is speed on approach, adding more gear changes is just adding more work load. So could make it worse.

I describe the speed required as walking pace, then get the gear required.

Set a land mark, brake to walking pace and be in 2nd with the clutch up before the lamp post or road sign which is 30ft from the junction.

Find two roundabouts near to each other and run up and down between them, set the landmarks and just practice until they get it. Then apply the same system to other junctions.

LGV PCV Instructor DVSA ADI Fleet

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 08-05-17 06:47:55

kaf
Verified Member
Website

I sometimes introduce a ' rule' that unless going downhill, they have to release the brake before changing gear.
When forced to come off the brake they get really uncomfortable with their approach speed, so tend to get the speed down much better.

It's one way thing to be going too fast with your foot on the brake, giving you the false impression that you have it under control, another altogether to have too much speed and NO speed control.

You of course have your foot over the brake ready to ensure safety.

#4 16-05-17 14:37:11

richie1966
Verified Member

Sequential gear changing is not a problem on test. I also have mature students who, in the past, were taught "change down through the gears when slowing down". If it works for them and they do get to appropriate gear for the speed (ie 4th to 3rd.....3rd to 2nd) I do not attempt to change their style. I will tell them about block changing, and the advantages of it and ask if they would like to try it. If their sequential gear changes works, I leave it alone.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 17-05-17 10:58:49

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

richie1966 wrote:

...  If it works for them and they do get to appropriate gear for the speed (ie 4th to 3rd.....3rd to 2nd) I do not attempt to change their style. I will tell them about block changing, and the advantages of it and ask if they would like to try it. If their sequential gear changes works, I leave it alone.

That's my philosophy too, richie.
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" - also a lot of my students, living as they are in the Northern Territory where men are men and marsupials are nervous, will be doing off-road* stuff.
And the same with hand-over-hand .v. pull-push steering styles - if they've been taught h-o-h but are in full control of their steering, why change it?

*Or at least drive a macho 4WD and LOOK like you're an off-roader.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

Board footer