You are not logged in.

#1 22-02-17 12:31:57

lubberkin

You can do it!

big_smile

I first posted on here way back in May 2016 after I'd had my second driving lesson and was absolutely terrified of pedestrians, oncoming vehicles, and don't even get me started about 'meeting'!  I haven't really needed to post since because most of the questions I had have already been answered on this forum so I've read those threads with great interest.

It's now Feb 2017 and I'm on my 58th lesson (I'm a lady in her forties so it's taken me a bit longer to click!).  Got my practical test booked for March (theory passed last August) and I daresay I'll get another 8-10 lessons in before then, but at this stage it's pretty much a case of refining things and getting extra experience on the UK's congested roads.  I did initially have my test booked for December but I knew I wasn't ready to be out on my own, so I postponed it.  Now I DO feel ready.

Far from the nervous wreck I used to be (I was on beta blockers at one point for lessons but I don't need them anymore), I'm now confident in my abilities and genuinely enjoy each lesson.  In fact, I can't wait to get in the car and there's no more 10 minute chats with the instructor to settle me down--I'm off as soon as my seatbelt's done up!  Yes, I've made some beauties of mistakes and have encountered my share of idiots on the roads, but I can now deal with those idiots as my reactions (and observations/planning) are so much more acute.

I suppose the reason I'm posting this is in case any other learners are looking for reassurance.  My instructor told me I was one of the most nervous pupils she's ever had and she's amazed at how comfortable I now am behind the wheel.  I'm sure other learners close to their test have posted similar messages on here but I just wanted to add my two penneth.  I've come close to giving up at times after a bad lesson but I persevered, yes you will have highs and lows and the learning process is not always a slow, steady climb--sometimes you can seem to regress but I've learned this is completely normal.  I not only enjoy (love!) driving but I actually feel that I have a right to be on the roads.  And not everyone out there is horrible to/impatient with learners--there are a lot of kind people out there and I'm looking forward to becoming one of those considerate drivers when I pass.

That was all I wanted to say, really.  If anyone's interested I'll post my test result in March, but if not, thanks for reading!

22-02-17 12:31:57

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: You can do it!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 22-02-17 13:18:00

kaf
Verified Member
Website

Glad to hear you stuck with it and are getting the results you want.

I can tell you that you WILL pass your test. Hopefully in March, if your success is delayed, do not be downhearted. It is just a matter of time.

It's very easy to fall into the trap of thinking that driving is easy, everybody can do it can't they?
Well GOOD driving is not easy, as you have found.

Well done and keep going.

#3 22-02-17 14:34:38

lubberkin

Thank you for the reply, kaf!

I'm reasonably confident that I'll pass in March unless I do something stupid, but if I don't pass, I'll be disappointed but I'm not going to give up and will keep trying!

I also want to add (which I should have stated above) that I in no way consider myself an expert driver after 58 lessons--I'm very much a novice, but look forward to continuing learning in my own car, whenever that may be!

smile

Board footer