You are not logged in.

#1 02-11-16 12:57:12

Cartech

Traffic light controlled yellow box junctions

Hi
    Am am new to the forum. I have been driving a few years now. my question is about traffic light controlled yellow box junctions. In my area where I have just moved to there is a lot of junctions that have a gap of about two car length of road between the stop line and the start off the yellow box. In heavy slow moving traffic going straight ahead and the traffic lights are green but the other side of the junction is blocked with traffic can I use the area between the stop line and yellow box or is It best to wait at the stop line until box and exit is clear? I have tried both ways which seems ok if there are repeater lights at the junction but it feels unsafe if there are no repeater lights to show that my light are still green. Also can someone  please confirm the meaning off normal give ways rules apply once across the stop line of at a traffic light controlled junction. I hope my questions  make sense to people. Thanks in advance for advice and answers.

02-11-16 12:57:12

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Traffic light controlled yellow box junctions

#2 07-11-16 18:13:22

reddragonbus
Verified Member

Ideally you should not cross the stop line until you can clear the entire junction including pedestrian crossing points and the yellow box. The presence of the yellow box does not actually change anything, you should as a general rule keep junctions clear unless turning right and only prevented from turning by oncoming traffic.

Once you have crossed the stop line you are no longer required to comply with the traffic lights as the traffic lights require you to stop and wait behind the stop line. Generally you should expedite the junction to your exit with due regard to safety. Effectively unless you are turning right you should not queue or wait on any part of the junction beyond the stop line. Once beyond the stop line you should give way to other road users as if it is a non traffic light controlled junction.

Some junctions have stop lines which appear to be quite far back from the junction this is often done to permit large vehicle coming towards you to make the turn. If you get caught out in this area you can cause problems for large vehicles when the lights change in their favour.

LGV PCV Instructor DVSA ADI Fleet

#3 08-11-16 03:17:03

Cartech

Hi
      Thanks for  the  replay. I hadn't thought about  blocking a Hgv turning.

Board footer