You are not logged in.

#1 05-10-16 11:55:11

Paul_Mac

To franchise or not to franchise, that is the question...

Hello everyone, first time poster... Stumbled across this site during my research, I am preparing for my ADI Part 2 test in November and have a few queries that hopefully will assist me in my journey

First a little about me and how I've got on so far... I currently work 2 jobs as a warehouseman (45 hrs p/week) and a regular DJ residency every Saturday, for a long time I have wanted to take the plunge and become a driving instructor as I see myself having the suitable skills required to make a decent career out of it. At 33 I see it as time is running out to do this or I will end up in the 9-5 routine until I retire so after researching a few of the big instructor franchises opted to go with RED, paid the full fee up front and cracked on with the training.

After passing the theory I quickly booked the part 2 test and have since completed 5 x 2 hour sessions with my trainer who has been fantastic, and to be fair I can't speak highly enough of him or the service that RED have provided thus far. My goal is to hopefully progress quickly through the parts 2 and 3 and go on to be fully qualified in the new year. Due to the volume of current work and family commitments a trainee license is pretty much out of the question but hopefully this will not affect my chances of progressing through the part 3 test

Then comes the big decision and judging by some of the posts I've been reading through this is quite a common situation... do I go all in as a franchise instructor with RED using my car, bite the bullet and pay them the £95 per week or keep plodding on with the 9-5 day job and build my business up slowly taking on lessons during evenings / weekends? Apologies in advance if this is a regularly discussed thread that I should be posting elsewhere on the site but I would love to hear from anyone who has been in this situation themselves, especially anyone based around the north west and which companies have provided them with the largest supply of pupils?

Thanks for reading and appreciate any feedback, Paul

05-10-16 11:55:11

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: To franchise or not to franchise, that is the question...

#2 05-10-16 16:21:15

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Blimey, 95 quid a week just for giving you a few customers?   

You are in a good position if you already have a car available.   Keep the money, and your day job, build up your evening/weekend trade and then when you are happy that you can manage on the income, and start getting recommends,  go it alone.  Offer your existing customers a free lesson for recommending you, it's a lot cheaper than paying a franchise who won't give you any guarantees about pupil supply anyway. That will help you build quicker.

What area of the north west are you?

#3 07-10-16 11:59:28

Paul_Mac

Thanks for the advice, I was thinking exactly along those lines it does seem excessive even when you take into consideration they don't start to charge until you have 5 referrals I would still just about be breaking even. I could save that money and put it towards some valuable advertising, as I am quite content with my day job I am in no mad rush to ditch it at the earliest opportunity but rather build my own business up slowly and gauge when to go all in

I will be taking the route you mentioned and having been self-employed as a DJ for 13 years I am familiar with self-promotion / importance of social media etc. I am based in the WN7 area which is very busy but also very competitive considering we have at least 4 test centres all within around a 20 mile radius, so looking to cover Wigan, Bolton, Warrington, Leigh, St. Helens and surrounding areas

#4 08-10-16 12:53:50

Joe24
Verified Member

Ha ha when I was a lad BSM took £300+ off me every week!!! lol

I stayed with them for 6months and every single pupil stayed with me once I went solo.

It's the franchise option and don't earn much profit for a good few months or it's the go solo option and possibly things don't build up as quick as you hope.....
Either way be realistic and just expect it could be tough for 12/24months. It usually is for a new business. A lot start out on the road (pun intended   cool ) and literally last about 5 minutes!!! Our job looks quite easy yeah???? Ha ha wait till you get that pupil who is intent on killing you lol

Not trying to scare you off just explaining that it WILL be tough at the start. If you're good then you will go onto succeed and earn enough cash to keep you out of mischief  smile

Good luck in whatever you decide and hope all goes to plan with the part 3.

#5 23-10-16 14:59:16

Evan
Administrator

Good luck with the part 3, Good luck with the business, Good luck walking on egg shells, which you will have to do believe me!

Board footer