You are not logged in.

#1 02-08-16 08:37:07

regdorp

Part 2 Turn in the Road width

Reading the examiners guidelines, they say that the width of road for a TIR should be approx 6 metres.  All my training and even the old part 2 routes I downloaded have used roads at least 7m wide.

Has anyone come across actually using a tight 6m road on their part 2 test?

My Suzuki Swift has a shockingly bad turning circle and 6m using only 3 turns is very very tight (I know I could do it in 5 but 3 is normally expected on this advanced test).

02-08-16 08:37:07

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Part 2 Turn in the Road width

#2 03-08-16 07:37:52

Triplea35
Verified Member

The guidelines to examiners for the width of road for TIR on Part 2 are exactly the same as that for the Learner practical test.

Not an ADI trainer so only my own experience of Part 2 and L tests.

To be honest never measured the width of a road but we do have a few that appear slightly wider than the norm. I find these usually have an additional challenge of having quite a degree of camber, on a gradient or greater traffic flow on it. Narrower roads appear to have less of these challenges

The Suzuki Swift is a small car, and although the turning circle is not the smallest in that class of vehicle, I would not think the examiner would give any consideration to the size of your vehicle. I did have a pupil earlier in the year take his test in an old Renault Laguna Estate and was given the TIR, and just the usual location for that particular test route (slightly wider than the norm but on a gradient) and he did it in 3.

HTH Good Luck!

#3 03-08-16 08:31:10

regdorp

Thanks Triplea35. I didnt realise that the guidelines are the same for the L test... that makes me feel much better as I have never seen/heard of a TIR that is actually done in a road that narrow. As I say it it possible but literally if you are 5cm or less from all kerbs on all parts in my car. On the roads I have seen used, no problem at all.

#4 04-08-16 22:07:31

Mentor
Verified Member

I don't remember reading anywhere that you have to do the turn in 3 moves on a pt2 test. The examiners words are " I would like you to turn the car around in the road using forward and reverse gears without touching the kerbs" As long as control and effective observations are up to scratch I don't think the examiner would care if you take 5 moves.

#5 05-08-16 07:15:37

regdorp

Thanks Mentor

#6 07-08-16 09:20:15

whodareswins
Verified Member

Correction Mentor.

For some time now, the Examiners instruction to perform a Turn In the Road does not include the phrase "using forward and reverse gears".

Grade 6 ADI/Fleet Trainer, SAFED Registered Trainer, Qualified BTEC Assessor

Board footer