You are not logged in.

#1 25-06-16 22:48:38

james123455

D1 Test a Few Questions

I am looking to take my D1 test so i can drive a mini bus for our scout group. (voluntarily)

So far i have completed the medical and both of the theory tests.

I am now looking to book and take the practical test. We have our own minibus which meets all of the requirements. Its a ford transit long wheelbase weights over 4 ton, has tacho fitted (will they use this i don't have a card).

I have looked at everything i will need to do on the test (I think).

I have practised the reversing manoeuvre, i can answer all the show and tell me questions. I haven't had any minbus driving lessons as this is very expensive, but i know a driving instructor that has taken me out on different roads and says my driving is up to standard to pass a driving test and i should be fine after correcting me on a few things.

I am now looking to take the test, my nearest test centre is Ipswich and have a few questions...

Is the reversing manoeuvre and the breaking manoeuvre the only two i need to know? I read somewhere something about a gear changing one?

I am fairly confident about general driving and the rules e.g checking mirrors keeping distances etc.

I know our minibus will need additional mirrors for the instructor, what type are these and where can i buy them from? To me they look like the mirrors you see cars with caravans use. If anyone can share a link to a site that sells these this would be a great help.

If i fail i will re-take, this is still cheaper than paying for commercial lessons as myself and our scout group don't have lots of money.

Any advice or help would be great. smile

25-06-16 22:48:38

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: D1 Test a Few Questions

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 26-06-16 15:01:06

james123455

Would this type or mirror be fine?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Caravan-Towin … xyVLNS81wy

#3 26-06-16 20:27:03

trunkmonkey

I use Hercules square eye mirrors for D1 training. Here is a link  http://www.vancomfort.co.uk/blindspotmirrors.htm
You fit the offside mirror on the side of the Transits mirror and fit the nearside mirror on the top of the Transits mirror.
There is no longer a braking exercise or a gear change exercise.
For the reverse exercise, make sure that when you drive forward to the start point you keep well across to the left so that you are almost touching the left cone. This will give you the room to put a good lock on and you'll keep well clear of the yellow perimeter line. You are allowed 1 shunt. If you need it make sure you re-align in a good position. You only need to get the rear of the vehicle inside the yellow box, unlike the LGV test. 
You don't need a tacho card. The question will be something like "can you show me where the tachograph is situated and can you tell me how you would load the machine?"
Your answer will be "I would turn the card over so that the chip is on the top and I would then insert the card into the 1 slot, chip first"
It is a PCV test so you will be asked to stop at a number of bus stops, some by the roadside,others in a lay-by. If there is a raised area you will be expected to stop with the sliding door alongside this area. You will do a hill start,a downhill start and an angled start. Make sure you know everything there is to know about bus lanes. There are three types. You will be expected to travel in a bus lane if the times of operation are relevant.
Is the driving instructor that took you out a PCV instructor?  If he is,fine, if he isn't then how would he know the standard required?
You are sitting a test to drive a PCV and carry passengers on a professional basis. The standard expected far exceeds a car test.

Hope this helps.
PM

Last edited by trunkmonkey (26-06-16 20:28:48)

#4 26-06-16 22:43:57

james123455

Thank you this is just the advice i needed. I have now carried out many hours of reading and researching the test. I have just purchased the mirrors you recommended. Thanks for the advice for how to use the tacho and pulling up at the bus stops etc. I understand i should be using bus lanes unless they are for local routes only. Also thanks for the advice about the reversing exercise, i have practised this and will have a few more goes before my test.

Unfortunately the instructor was only a car instructor not a PCV. I don't know if i'm up to standard or not i will take the minibus out each evening and try to perfect my driving and get it to near perfect remembering everything such as checking mirrors, signalling, gears etc.

I have booked the test for next week, if i don't pass at lease i know how far off i am and if its a case of just re taking or not. I will keep you updated.

Thank you.

#5 06-07-16 21:39:12

james123455

Thank you for the advice! The advice for the mirrors, parking close the the left hand cone for the reverse exercise and the question about the tacho all came in very useful.

I passed the test first attempt! 3 minors and one of these was because i couldn't answer locate the emergency fuel cut off switch. The answer was remove the key.

Thanks again i can now take our scouts out on many trips in our new minibus!

Board footer