You are not logged in.

#1 15-03-16 00:33:18

Joe24
Verified Member

Are we done here?

Are driving forums now just a library for PDI's? Very little in the way of daily traffic and not the best place anymore for the latest ADI news updates. This ADI section used to have new threads/posts daily and now we have only had the odd new topic since xmas. No debates/no arguments/no opinions. Even the moderators seem to have had enough and mostly given up posting.

UKDIC seems to have completely left the building.

Any ideas? I'm seriously bored where once the forums were a place to actually get some good CPD. I fear this forum is headed in the same direction as UKDIC. Nobody seems all that fussed that it's going fast down hill......

Time moves on but the forums standstill. Time to move with the times or maybe we are done?

15-03-16 00:33:18

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Are we done here?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 15-03-16 14:14:15

kaf
Verified Member
Website

I think the more 2 way conversational nature of Facebook has moved the nature of communication on from forums.
It's a shame, because places like this enable a more permanent record of advice that can be searched and tapped into.

#3 15-03-16 21:46:15

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Kaf could have the answer.

I'm thinking of another reason why the forums aren't used much: most issues involving the driver training industry have probably been discussed, i.e. there's not a lot of new things to say.

I thought of this after logging on to the Coffee Cup web design forum which has a large number of daily postings, this is because Coffee Cup has recently introduced complicated new software and the forum members (many of them professional web designers) post for assistance in their struggle to get to grips with it.
In contrast, the driver training industry hasn't had much regarding new driver training techniques.

Last edited by Zipper (15-03-16 21:47:08)

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#4 18-03-16 17:33:22

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

I'm member of various forums and they're all dying off, and getting more traffic on Facebook groups or pages.
All in one place as most people live on Facebook

#5 18-03-16 22:31:32

Evan
Administrator

I think there is certainly truth that facebook is used for discussion, but I would also add that there seem to be many fall outs on the facebook groups, none of which I am a member, but I have heard the rumblings.
Most of the members on this forum have been here for some time, most topics have been covered, most people know the opinions and personality of other members.
It is worth remembering, that many instructors are flat out with work, and it has been so for the last couple of years, this situation has taken place (I think), due to less people coming into the business and people retiring.
I also think this job just like a job in the teaching profession has lost its attraction, now there's a thread for discussion for someone to start!

#6 19-03-16 19:38:25

VandADI
Administrator

Technology is moving on, we live in a society where everything is instant. My washing machine broke the other day and I had one delivered that same afternoon. We have all the gizmos and gadgets that makes life easier (supposedly) and if we have a question, we want answers straight away.  This is were social media network sites come in handy, but has a double edged sword as this is also where the trolls hang out.  Forums such as this are old school now but sometimes, the old ones are the best.  Because I know the forum so well, I know where everything is, and if I have a question, I know exactly where to go to find the answer.  It is for this reason I am not even thinking of shutting down.
When I took over this site 10 years ago, I did it because I wanted to help others in the driver training industry who needed help, advice or just somewhere to let off steam. Times have changed, but I still use a diary and write my appointments in it big_smile 
Alas, I don't have the time (nor the inclination) to start up yet another ADI/PDI facebook group, there are enough out there as it is, apart from anything my workload has increased leaving me less time for admin work, but I certainly would not say we are done.

#7 25-03-16 18:56:10

Joe24
Verified Member

I think it's a great resource. Lots of good info for the ADI and the PDI. Just a shame that there is nothing fresh being posted. Shame that visitor numbers are vastly down. Seems a great disservice to the people who have worked hard over the years to make the site what it is.
I use other forums (non driver related) that use similar set ups to this website and they are busier than ever.

#8 26-03-16 10:54:44

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

I completely agree with you Joe24.
There's an added incentive for me to log on to this forum (and the DIDU forum too) - I like reading about "how it's done" in the UK compared to the Northern Territory.
I think the UK generally "does it better" than the NT.

I joined this forum not long after the original owner "Jonks" put it on line, in response to an email encouraging me to join (he must have found my website, at that time one of very few driving school sites in Australia), and I have never regretted it, and I still log on almost daily.
In my opinion, when it comes to discussion on driving & the driver training industry, forums are much superior to Facebook.

Thanks VandADI for taking over this great forum and persevering with it!

Last edited by Zipper (28-03-16 08:49:47)

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#9 27-03-16 14:19:07

Roadmaster
Verified Member

The problem with facebook and others is the info disappears and so the same questions get asked time and time again.  Sites like this provide a  permanent source of information and also an interesting history of our trade.

Board footer