You are not logged in.

#1 10-02-16 21:44:43

Cat8t3
Verified Member

Struggling with work load!!

Hi,

Not sure if I'm posting in the correct place, and Its been a few years since my last post, but I'm hoping you guys could help me.

I'm struggling with my work load and turning students away on a daily basis, have been for months now. The question I get asked next from potential students, is 'Can I recommend anyone else?' I'm getting to the point now that I feel I could be recommending someone that is associated to me, rather than not at all.

The thing is I have no idea how to recruit another ADI, or even if I want too.  I think I'm scared of someone ruining my rep that I've established, but in the same sense it seems silly turning away so much work. I've always been indie so have no experience of franchise at all.  Does anyone have any experience in expanding their business but on a small lever. What could I offer them, how do I find someone? Any advice would be gratefully received.

Many Thanks Cat

1st Check Test 15/09/2010 - Grade 4
2nd Check Test 09/01/2013 - Grade 4

10-02-16 21:44:43

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Struggling with work load!!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 11-02-16 08:47:23

kaf
Verified Member
Website

I also get more requests for work than I can handle.
I could easily take on another ADI but don't want my rep trashed and frankly don't want to make the effort.

My strategy is to keep raising prices for new customers to choke out demand and increase my income.

Just don't feel bad about turning people away, it's your life, it needs a balance.

#3 11-02-16 10:28:55

TDAScott
Website

The key is price, some ADI's just want someone to answer the phone and provide occasional work at a nominal fee, some prefer the whole shebbang.

The best thing to do is look at sustainability, you have enough work now but if you need to advertise in future is it worthwhile? if you had another ADI would they expect an office with 8-6 receptionist. Does your website get much work? Do you use social media? A great thing to do is have a small working area to reduce travel time, perhaps find an instructor local to you that you overlap with, see if you can work together sticking to set areas to reduce your own travel time, then look into taking on an ADi between you both to help with both of your work-loads. If you both sticker your car's up matching, got a website and social media set up you'll be a lot more attractive to a new ADi as you're a business and not just another ADI. obviously finding a partner ADI could be difficult especially one to trust.

#4 11-02-16 11:10:10

Evan
Administrator

I increased mine to 5 including myself over a 10 year period, however it's not an easy task.
The 1st instructor I took on was a female, she is still with me 10 years later, I have 2 other male instructors and another female instructor in the school.
All I would say is be careful and I mean CAREFUL, if someone is keen to work with you ask why? ask how long they have been qualified, and this sounds cheeky, but ask for phone numbers of their past pupils and phone them.
Get referrals from them, now that may seem a bit over the top, but you need some sort of CV for them, realistically how do we get referrals?
You must know what and who you are taking on, after they do lessons for you phone the clients, get feedback!
The reputation you have built up IS Precious to YOU, it may not be to someone else!

If possible I would try and get someone newly qualified, they are hungry for work, hungry to do well. Try and seek out local reputable trainers, ask them if they have any good PDI's about to take part 3's and whether they would like a position with you.
Give minimal work to start with, keep track of what they are doing, remember it's your name above your head and theirs!

Hope that helps
Regards

Evan

#5 12-02-16 20:44:19

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

I too have a waiting list and am quoting 10-15 weeks wait.
For those that can't wait i happily pass them onto one of the other busy instructors.
I have mentioned taking on another instructor, and even asked my students.
The reply i generally get is i wouldn't mind for the odd lesson, but i came to you as you were recommended to me, so i dont want to go with anyone else.
I'm happy on my own knowing that i fill my 30 lessons every week, barring an odd last minute cancellation, and having 35 students learning at one time (5 spares, to cover those that aren't available or have to cancel)
Do what you think is best and what you feel comfortable with.

#6 13-02-16 09:12:11

Cat8t3
Verified Member

That's some great advice guys. Thank you so much. I'm going to start with the price increase for new students only, seems a great place to start and extra income is always welcome.

Many thanks again. Cat xx

1st Check Test 15/09/2010 - Grade 4
2nd Check Test 09/01/2013 - Grade 4

Board footer