You are not logged in.

#1 03-01-16 09:59:22

2nd2None
Website

New to this forum

Hello everyone,

My name is James and I've just joined this forum. I'm based in Dorset but after many years of hard work and sacrifice I own and run a small franchise covering Dorset, Somerset, Wiltshire, Cornwall and Berkshire. I've got a team of 14 instructors and have recently moved into instructor training and have an ORDIT registered trainer and Fleet Trainer on the team. I also organise several Under 17's driving tuition events each month in Cornwall and Dorset which are doing well.

Being the 3rd January I have set myself a goal for the new year of increasing my driving school coverage and taking on at least 2 more instructors in our busy areas where unfortunately we seem to be turn customers away because we can't cope with demand.

I've also want to look into the idea of Employing Driving Instructors this year and offering them a salary in return for employee benefits like holiday and sickness pay but this is at the early stages at the moment and needs a lot more research into cost involved etc and a way of working it so it's both fair and profitable.

So happy new year to you all and I hope I can make good use of this forum.

Last edited by 2nd2None (03-01-16 10:03:29)

03-01-16 09:59:22

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: New to this forum

#2 08-01-16 19:28:30

VandADI
Administrator

Hi James and welcome to our forum smile

It sounds like you are running a smooth operation which seems to be working well and offering varied services within the industry.  Your idea of employing driving instructors sounds interesting, but would ask what would be the benefits in employing ADIs as opposed to offering them a franchise?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 09-01-16 10:38:45

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

VandADI wrote:

... what would be the benefits in employing ADIs as opposed to offering them a franchise?

My experience down here (I'm "down under" in the Northern Territory, James) is that after novice instructors working for an employer get the hang of working in the driver training industry, they soon decide that it's much better to be their own boss and to do things their own way - I was one of them.

Franchises sit somewhere between the two I think, one still has to pay a "commission" of sorts one has but more freedom, and am I right in saying that cars are also supplied (I'm not sure about this?).
There are no driving school franchises where I am, but there are franchises in other other occupations such as mobile dog-washing, yard maintenance or lawn mowing ("The Lawn Ranger"), general handyman ("Rent A Hubby".) etc.

So there must be a lot to said for franchises.

BUT - having said that, I sometimes yearn to be an employee again, with the benefits of vacations, sick pay etc.
James you might attract certain instructors who think this is the best career path for them.

Last edited by Zipper (09-01-16 10:41:53)

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#4 27-09-16 21:35:51

2nd2None
Website

VandADI wrote:

Hi James and welcome to our forum smile

It sounds like you are running a smooth operation which seems to be working well and offering varied services within the industry.  Your idea of employing driving instructors sounds interesting, but would ask what would be the benefits in employing ADIs as opposed to offering them a franchise?

We have been offering instructor training courses for a while now and one thing that seems to concern a few is that they will be self-employed. It's also extremely hard to recruit existing instructors to the team even if they would actually earn more by being with us. My idea is to offer them an employed position and provide all their training as part of the job description. I would of course tie them into a two year contract that they can leave at anytime but will be liable for the training costs that would be reducing each month over the two year contract.

My goal would be to prove my worth to them over those two years in the hope of them remaining part of the team for years to come.

We would also supply a car, fuel and insurance. Holiday pay, sickness pay and a work based pension. We would also offer further hourly wage increases for additional skills such as fleet and B+E ability etc.

We would guarantee them 30hrs of lessons per week over a 5 day period and the opportunity to carry out additional lessons of their own for a small percentage etc.

The benefits to me is a slightly higher income per week as apposed to a franchise fee and I can also claim the costs of providing a car etc against my own income and tax. I also get to have a bit more say in how things are done to ensure better customer service and satisfaction etc. I also get to expand my business and the image of my business on a much larger scale by employing the instructor.

#5 30-09-16 00:34:17

Triplea35
Verified Member

Sure I've read that when employing someone rather than taking a franchise fee, all income generated by your employee's will be included in your turnover and could very easily reach the VAT threshold of £83k. Have you considered the implications of this?

#6 30-09-16 07:02:57

2nd2None
Website

Triplea35 wrote:

Sure I've read that when employing someone rather than taking a franchise fee, all income generated by your employee's will be included in your turnover and could very easily reach the VAT threshold of £83k. Have you considered the implications of this?

Yeah all the income generated from employees would be included as it's based on turnover and not profits, so yes it will help take me over the VAT threshold which in the next year I am close to doing anyway.

Board footer