You are not logged in.

#1 14-12-15 20:12:50

Evan
Administrator

Compliments of the Season

Merry Christmas to one and all.
I wish you all the very best of luck, health and success for 2016.

Let's all hope and pray for a peaceful future and an end to all the hostility and violence that seems to abound throughout the world at the moment.

Thoughts also for all of our servicemen and women who risk their lives everyday to keep us all safe,

Kind regards to all!

Evan

14-12-15 20:12:50

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Compliments of the Season

#2 14-12-15 20:44:12

VandADI
Administrator

Some thoughts as we enter the holiday season...It is important to remember that not everyone is looking forward to Christmas. Some people are not surrounded by large wonderful families and friends. Some of us have problems during the holidays and are overcome with great sadness when we remember the loved ones who are not with us. For many, it is their first Christmas without a particular loved one, many others lost loved ones at Christmas time.  Many people have no one to spend these times with and are incredibly lonley. We all need caring, loving thoughts right now.
Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Vanda

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 16-12-15 12:40:29

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Thanks for the Xmas wishes and the sentiments, Evan and Vanda
A happy & safe Xmas and a safe & prosperous New Year for everyone in the UK, from Zipper Down Under.

The only "White Christmas" we're getting is severe monsoonal downpours - I've noticed that wearing polarising glasses during a monsoon if the day is bright, does help clear the vision a bit (reduces raindrop sparkle I presume). And it helps to look cool during a downpour anyway big_smile .

At least Aussies have given up on the plastic snowmen & fake spray-on snow in the windows etc, but they do like the festive house & front-yard/fence lights (and I like looking at them too).
It's @#%&*! hot here, occasional heavy downpours only cool things down temporarily while making the roads dangerous.
A monsoon can force cars to pull over because wipers can't keep up, the noise on the roof is tremendous and it's hard to teach.*

When the sun comes out the rays beating down (even through cloud layers) and the hot steam coming from the roads is a reminder I'm in the tropics.
And the stupid behaviour of many drivers in the rain reminds me I'm in the Northern Territory.

Being a live-alone bachelor I'll be by myself as usual this Xmas but not lonely as my family & friends are with me in my thoughts, and modern communications bring people close together.
Like Vanda I feel for those truly alone, including those who've lost family or friends in road crashes or other causes.

A couple of days ago the NT News showed portraits of 3 people killed in a horrific heavy-rainstorm crash (the driver lost control at an estimated 135+km/h in a 100km/h speed zone and was hit by a bus, luckily the bus was empty and the traumatised driver survived).
One of the photos was of a pretty young woman said to be excited at going home for Xmas to see her family.
Last year 2 grandparents died in a crash on their way to visit family living some distance away.
The newspaper photo of the crashed car with wrapped Xmas gifts strewn around was quite distressing to me.
Another instructor told me I'm too soft and shouldn't let this sort of thing get to me - he's right of course, he wasn't being cruel or unfeeling but realistic and trying to ease me.
However I've always found that personal tragedies affect me deeply (especially with child victims) and being and instructor with a genuine interest in road safety doesn't help.
Only one of my ex-pupils has been killed on the road that I know of so I suppose I'm lucky there.

At least I usually only read about it, I normally don't have to confront the aftermath like our Fire/Police/Ambulance/Emergency Services personnel do.
If your UK F/P/A/ES people are as dedicated as ours in the NT are, they also deserve our thoughts during this season.

*It's the start of the Wet Season here and I've just given a driving test to a young girl who started driving at the start of the 6-8 month dry season and had never driven in rain before, just her luck to get heavy rain on her test!
I ran her through the operation of lights & wipers (she'd been through it once with her instructor but was rusty) and reminded her to be careful, to brake early & increase following distance etc before driving off.
She did well, I had to flick the wipers on for her a couple of times in the early stages (rain was intermittent) especially while she was concentrating with furrowed brow & protruding tongue during the reverse park, but she soon settled in and drove carefully (and passed).
I'm assuming the MVR (our licensing authority) would endorse my testing style, I hope so anyway.
The girl's instructor who's also an accredited tester agreed with me anyway.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

Board footer