You are not logged in.

#1 06-11-15 21:30:25

ohspecial1

DRIVING LESSONS SEEM CRAZY

FIRST TIME I MET THE GUY
HE SAID AND SAYS TO ME EVERYTIME I GO TO HIS LESSON HAVE I BOOKED OR TAKEN MY THEORY TEST
HAVE FINALLY BOOKED AS I GOT FED UP WITH HIM ASKING
SEEMS NOW THAT THEY DON'T TALK TO  YOU ABOUT ROAD SIGNS OR NOTHING

2ND ISSUE

ARE THEY BRAKE MAD
MUST USE BRAKE PADS LIKE YOYO'S I'M SURE MOST DRIVERS DON'T BRAKE GOING DOWN HILL

3RD ISSUE I TRY NOT USING THE BRAKE OFTEN AS IF YOU NEED TO SLOW DOWN IF YOU TAKE YOUR FOOT OFF THE GAS YOU WILL SLOW DOWN BUT NO YOU CANNOT DO THIS

4TH

HE HAS A FORD FIESTA I'M 5'8 AND SEAT IS REALLY UP CLOSE AND I SEEM TO HAVE TO STRECH A LOT TO GET THE CLUTCH FULLY DOWN SEEMS ALONG WAY INTO THE CARPET
HE JUST SAYS IT'S ME BUT IM SURE IT SHOULDNT BE THAT FAR DOWN UNLESS IT NEEDS ADJUSTING OR IS CREAM CRACKERED

I HAVE BEEN WITH HIM FOR ABOUT 9 HOURS NOW
AND IF I STALL IN THE MIDDLE OF A JUNCTION HE WILL LEAVE ME THERE AND EXPLAIN WHAT HAPPENED BUT I FIND THIS IS UNSAFE

HELP ARE ALL DRIVING INSTRUCTORS THIS BAD
OR IS IT JUST THE CRAZYNESS IN THE TRAINING NOW

06-11-15 21:30:25

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: DRIVING LESSONS SEEM CRAZY

#2 07-11-15 08:22:49

(ROG)
Verified Member

You are paying so ditch that one and get another

IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 07-11-15 13:48:08

ralge
Verified Member

I

ohspecial1 wrote:

FIRST TIME I MET THE GUY
HE SAID AND SAYS TO ME EVERYTIME I GO TO HIS LESSON HAVE I BOOKED OR TAKEN MY THEORY TEST
HAVE FINALLY BOOKED AS I GOT FED UP WITH HIM ASKING
SEEMS NOW THAT THEY DON'T TALK TO  YOU ABOUT ROAD SIGNS OR NOTHING

2ND ISSUE

ARE THEY BRAKE MAD
MUST USE BRAKE PADS LIKE YOYO'S I'M SURE MOST DRIVERS DON'T BRAKE GOING DOWN HILL

3RD ISSUE I TRY NOT USING THE BRAKE OFTEN AS IF YOU NEED TO SLOW DOWN IF YOU TAKE YOUR FOOT OFF THE GAS YOU WILL SLOW DOWN BUT NO YOU CANNOT DO THIS

4TH

HE HAS A FORD FIESTA I'M 5'8 AND SEAT IS REALLY UP CLOSE AND I SEEM TO HAVE TO STRECH A LOT TO GET THE CLUTCH FULLY DOWN SEEMS ALONG WAY INTO THE CARPET
HE JUST SAYS IT'S ME BUT IM SURE IT SHOULDNT BE THAT FAR DOWN UNLESS IT NEEDS ADJUSTING OR IS CREAM CRACKERED

I HAVE BEEN WITH HIM FOR ABOUT 9 HOURS NOW
AND IF I STALL IN THE MIDDLE OF A JUNCTION HE WILL LEAVE ME THERE AND EXPLAIN WHAT HAPPENED BUT I FIND THIS IS UNSAFE

HELP ARE ALL DRIVING INSTRUCTORS THIS BAD
OR IS IT JUST THE CRAZYNESS IN THE TRAINING NOW

Firstly you can't and shouldn't generalise about the standard of driving instructors. They are all supposedly trained up to the same standard but, on the ground, take different approaches.  The "modern" approach is to allow the pupil some self-sufficiency and responsibility as early as is possible and safe.
This leads to the questions about the theory (just how serious about learning to drive are you?  There's far more to theory than road signs and, while I'm on it, it's not about what they mean but why they are there. 
If you stall in a junction and you continuously rely on the instructor to get you out of trouble, it could be a recipe for never sorting it. So take responsibility, perhaps - I take it you know (and are given the chance to work out) why you just stalled?  If you really need his/her help, ask for it.
If you are saying that the instructor is braking for you or telling you to brake, maybe he/she reckons that your acceleration sense is a little ambitious and that you are getting too close to those ahead without braking (?)
As for how you fit into the Fiesta, your clutch leg should have some bend in it when the pedal is fully down AND, with your arms out straight over the steering wheel, your wrists should optimally rest on top of the steering wheel - this works for the vast bulk of people and Ford have sold a lot of Fiestas!

DSA Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Dip, PTLLS, Safed for Vans, NDAC/Speed Awareness on-road trainer, RoSPA RoAD Test Examiner.

#4 07-11-15 15:18:10

Galifrey

If you are stretching to get the clutch down then your seat isn't close enough, slide it forward and recline the back slightly to give more room. Clutch should go down to the floor with slight bend at the knee.

If you stall you should be clutch down, engaging starter immediately, not waiting for instruction. You should already know how to restart the car.

If the hill is steep, gently pressing the brake pedal to reduce speed or a lower gear is the correct course of action, engine braking is fine if that is sufficient.

Theory test is important to get out the way as you need the knowledge and you cannot book your practical until that is done. Your instructor is not there to teach theory, that is your responsibility to study. If there is a long wait for your practical test and your theory you can end up paying for lessons to stay fresh when you could just be taking your test. Theory teaches you about roadcraft and rules of the road not just a few signs, however, they are important as well.

If you are unhappy then switch instructors but you may find a lot of similarities.

Last edited by Galifrey (07-11-15 15:18:37)

Board footer