You are not logged in.

#1 12-08-15 22:56:12

ukquest

Changing gears

Hi I have just recently started taking driving lessons. I am having a few issues when it comes to roundabouts. On my approach. I am normally either in 4th, or 5th gear. I normally hesitate because I am so focused on moving down gears to get into 2nd gear that I mess up when I arrive at the roundabout which is frustrating. My question is, can you move from 4th gear into 2nd for example instead going through all the gears which is a lot of hassle?

12-08-15 22:56:12

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Changing gears

#2 12-08-15 23:15:52

ralge
Verified Member

Absolutely, practise braking/easing off well before the roundabout, get your speed down to second year speed and select second gear (without going through 3rd etc) for your final approach, clutch up, in gear, to the GiveWay line.

Alternatively, with more experience you might target the finesse of doing the same easing off and braking and then selecting a gear only when it is clear to you which gear will take you through the junction.

DSA Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Dip, PTLLS, Safed for Vans, NDAC/Speed Awareness on-road trainer, RoSPA RoAD Test Examiner.

#3 13-08-15 19:49:47

Lynne
Verified Member

Roundabouts can be tricky to master and I say to all mine "chip away at them, bit by bit" .  Part of hesitating can be not looking to the right early enough (combined with also looking where you are going so you stay on track and timing the gap!) and that maybe because you are still working on speed on approach and sorting gears.  Be patient, keep practising, they will get easier.

#4 14-08-15 08:17:22

(ROG)
Verified Member

Block changing gears or missing out gears is what is generally taught these days by decent ADIs - going down though each gear in turn was needed in very old cars that had brake shoes where they heated up and had brake fade so gearing down to maximise engine braking was required

Do you have access to a stationary car with its engine off ? - if yes then put it in gear 5 and pretend you are doing 50mph - now leave it in that gear and brake with left foot hovering over clutch pedal - pretend it has now got to 20mph - release brake - dip clutch pedal then change from 5th to 2nd - all done at the same time as looking out the screen, side windows, mirrors along with glancing at the speedo = gently scanning those by moving head from side to side usually helps

keep both hands on the wheel until you need to change from 5 to 2 then once changed put left hand back onto wheel

OK, its not ideal with a stationary car but using a bit of imagination it can help somewhat with the procedure

IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

#5 14-08-15 08:19:48

(ROG)
Verified Member

A PS - if you have issue with finding 2nd then give it the thumb down on the gear stick as that helps to push it away from you to work against the spring

IAM Observer

#6 14-08-15 13:22:34

martin Williams
Verified Member

All cars are different,

Braking down from 50 to 20 in 5th without clutch going down will result in a stall in both my cars, you need to put the clutch down before 35mph.,

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#7 14-08-15 14:53:09

(ROG)
Verified Member

martin Williams wrote:

All cars are different,

Braking down from 50 to 20 in 5th without clutch going down will result in a stall in both my cars, you need to put the clutch down before 35mph.,

But only down enough to prevent stalling/shuddering

IAM Observer

Board footer