You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#26 22-03-06 22:45:11

alan.glenford
Verified Member
Website

Re: Vauxhall Corsa.

Last sunday doing a bay park and my steering locked it's now quite stiff the steering is not working at it's best i still have some powered steering but it is on the way out Vauxhall dealer going to have a look on friday and order the bits they say it sounds like a steering col i'm glad i am still just inside the waranty period i have just noticed today that i have water inside the nearside head light unit so they can look at that at the same time, The tech at the dealer told me that they have just had a corsa with steering probs they changed 2 steering col 2 steering racks and could not fix it so they sent the car back to vauxhall and they could not fix it and they just purchased the car back from the customer at the full price.

22-03-06 22:45:11

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

#27 22-03-06 22:50:02

Karenadi

On my last Corsa I had power steering pack up, but just to the left: power steering worked to the right.  Just outside warranty as well.  Had a new steering column: warrantied for 12 months.  Flippin heck: if it didn't go just after the 12 monts again.  Traded car in against new shape model and never told them the power steering had gone. :-[

#28 23-03-06 13:08:52

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

I had a new steering rack fitted, so did a friend of mine, vauxhall did it at no charge.

Many have new ones fitted as far as i know.

#29 24-03-06 21:06:14

alan.glenford
Verified Member
Website

corsa went today to checked steering col gone it needs to be replaced, i got the car new for driving school use and today i find out that it never had driving school package fitted on build they forgot and now they can not upgrade nor will they even if they could so beware make sure you get it in writing that that the driving school package if fitted

#30 24-03-06 21:26:19

Andi

Excuse my ignorance....but what would i expect the Driving School package to be??

Andi

1.gif

#31 24-03-06 22:48:47

luchell

As far as im aware its things like a 2nd speedo fitted on cars you cannot see the speedo also dual controls. Im sure they offer more than just that. Not all cars are available with some sort of driving instructor package i went to peugeot and they did not do a package on the new 107 but did a few on the 206. You need to shop around i think smile

#32 25-03-06 09:33:07

Andi

Mmmm, thats what i thought a driving school package was? But you would obviously notice if you hadnt got dual controls wouldnt you....so i was wondering if they reset the ECU or something? I think Ciroen do....dont know about anything else, which is why i was curious???

Just gotta know this stuff...dont ya??

Andi

1.gif

#33 25-03-06 10:04:14

alan.glenford
Verified Member
Website

with vauxhall the driving school pack is things like an uprated heavy duty steering motor and they have also told me that there is a change in the gearing and the steering rack i don't know all the ins and outs but speaking to the dealer they have told me there is a problem with the PAS on corsas used by driving schools

#34 25-03-06 13:47:10

ADI349
Verified Member

I have owner a corsa 1.2 comfort 4 door for 5 years. It now has 140,000 miles most of which has been during training learners.  I have never has a problem with the PAS.  I believe that some of the problems with the PAS has been burning out the PAS motor by turning it to full lock and holding it for long periods of time or by turning to full lock on numerous occaisions one after another.
The only thing it has had it three sets of front brake discs.

Steve W

If you only do what you've always done, you will only achieve what you've always achieved

#35 25-03-06 18:27:14

evan

Confused simple answer, type a letter to the dealership you had your car from listing your complaints and put a cc and send it to their Head Office. This gives them a gentle kick up the backside, you have to make a fuss officially to get results. Ev

#36 25-03-06 19:01:10

confused
Verified Member
Website

I bought it from one in Northampton but had it serviced by the local vx dealer. Methinks I've been had.

www.drivingzone.co.uk
DSA ADI & Fleet

#37 25-03-06 19:23:24

evan

I'd still get a letter off to them, and remind them that there are a lot of instructors out there that use corsa's. At the end of the day, you shouldn't have to be put out because of it, they can get things sorted for you. The car world is very competitive, so they really don't want bad publicity. Ev

#38 25-03-06 21:12:56

Andi

Wow Steve...yours must have been built on a Monday... big_smile

1.gif

#39 25-03-06 21:16:39

alan.glenford
Verified Member
Website

I wish mine was built on monday it now has water inside the near side head lamp unit going to be replaced but they ordered the wrong side, on the plus side the PAS is now fixed so it is not like being in the gym when driving

#40 18-06-06 14:11:59

jonks

Vauxhall Corsa

If you use, or have used this kind of car for driving instruction, please tell us what you think of it as training car.

#41 18-06-06 14:29:24

evan

Generally a nice training car. I am presently using the 5 door CDTI, it has good fuel consumtion and a nice performance as well.

I find the all around visibility is good, and there are also plenty of fixed points front and rear to use for reference points, very useful when teaching manouevres etc. The electronic power steering, has a tendency to shut down if you repeatedly do the turn in the road, this is easily remedied by doing something different till is cools down a bit.
Handbrake can be a bit of a nuisance, in as much as it can be ineffective unless pulled up to the top of there travel, this can cause problems for some pupils when releasing it to move off.

Generally very pleased with the corsa, I have ordered another one for September.

STOP PRESS: Due to the bad aftersales service I have just cancelled my order for a corsa in September. Will now look for a Japanese car. Ev

#42 18-06-06 17:05:48

VandADI
Administrator

Im using the 1.2 Design.  The Corsa is a good workhorse.  Ditto to Ev's comments, am also very happy with mine and will probably replace it with another  when the 3 year warranty wears out.  The clutch was replaced at 12,000 miles due to an oil seal leak and this was replaced under warranty. Head light bulb changing is a nightmare though, not happy about that, much too fiddly, so no chance of a quick bulb change before a test and I also have a space saver tyre, but apart from that, very pleased with the Corsa.

#43 18-06-06 17:21:50

LeanneADI
Verified Member

I currently have a corsa 51 plate. 1.0litre. The bulbs are really easy to change.  I hear later models aren't quite as easy.

Good view all round for observations on mans.  Although ive taken out the middle headrest to help.  Easy to see speedo.

Good car.  Nice space instead the car.  Door is big enough for a bottle of water.  Little pockets just near rear seats for plastic gloves (smtm!)  Glove box is roomey for diary and notepad etc.

Handbrake nears adjusting quite often - you need to be a bit heavy handed sometimes to get you held on a hill.
Agree with comments about power steering.  Heats up quickly when putting on full lock a few times.  Just leave it alone for a few mins - no problem.

I am seriously considering another corsa just maybe with air con.  New design looks ok.

I did try the 1.2L but its was quite easy to stall.  (Even i stalled a few times!  tongue)  Not just the pups!

Leanne

#44 18-06-06 18:59:19

alan.glenford
Verified Member
Website

I have a 1.3 corsa CDTI design and agree with whats been said above had the steering col replaced about a month ago just before the warranty ran out because the steering became very heavy in 63000 miles i 2 sets of front tyres and 2 set of front brake pads plus 2 services not to bad really

#45 19-06-06 16:08:09

Carl

I use a 2001 1.2 Corsa SXi. Not really had any problems with it, except the gear linkages that have been replaced twice - 1st to 2nd became really stiff. It goes through front brake pads every other service but that is normal according to the engineer (?).

I'm happy with it, my pupils are happy with it, my wife is happy with it so it can't be bad. Looking forward to the new Corsa coming out and seeing what improvements have been made.

Carl

#46 19-06-06 20:13:39

Chris Newby
Verified Member
Website

Got a 1.2 Elegance '52 plate. Can't complain at all - had the gear linkage problem, then it had the indicator stalk replaced (quite a usual thing I've heard). Nice little car, done 100k miles and no intention of changing for another. Tyres last ages, servicing's cheap, has air-con, only complaint is the handbrake which is bl**dy useless!

www.pilotsom.com   
Driver training around Bournemouth, Poole & Blandford

#47 19-06-06 20:35:18

la.monikita
Verified Member

i have a 05 plate 1.3cdti design model.
since 16/3/05, i had a
1 headlight bulb gone lhs,
1 indicator bulb gone lhs,
radio display gone,
odometer display gone,
water pump went,
alternator went,
steering rack was changed (now it sounds like there is a hole in the floor. to be sorted)

but despite all of the above i still like the car yikes,

and might consider another one, or the swift  big_smile

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

#48 19-06-06 21:23:04

Karenadi

On 2nd Corsa of my own: 03 plate 1.0 (went through a few of BSMs before that).  No major problems: love it.  Only thing with 1.0 is sheer lack of power on hills, but resolvable, by using 2nd gear.  Very economical: travel from Birmingham to Devon in it often, and can get there and back, and have a day out on £35 worth of fuel.  (450 miles last weekend).

Thinking about having 1.3 cdti, and hubby will have this one, but unsure about the new model: might just go for the last of the current shape, and let someone else test the new model first.

#49 21-06-06 16:29:20

alan.glenford
Verified Member
Website

here we go again driving along and all of sudden the battery light comes on and off take the to local dealer who say it needs an altenator cost wait for £543.99 said thats a bit steep and was told thats the price take it or go away so i went away to the local indie vauxhall dealer who told me that the cost for a new alt would be 465 inc but they had another type of alt they could fit for £100 as the abs light came and the car died at the garage they are going to change the part in the morning they gave me a loan car to get home with out asking for one i know where i will go from now on not the main dealer

#50 21-06-06 16:59:57

Karenadi

Need to make friends with a mechanic: I met mine when I taught his wife to drive: service manager.  Get all my jobs done on my drive when I'm not working.  Emergency repairs: he brings all possible parts according to my description of problem: fixed same day.  He is a brilliant mechanic and very good friend now. Doesn't necessarily use genuine parts, but knows all the contacts to get them at the right price.

If you need expensive parts, put out an internet search: loads of tatters yards etc will contact you telling you they've got your bit, and the price they'll sell it you for, including next day courier: and they guarantee it.  Never had a problem with getting parts this way for any of our cars: a fraction of the dealer prices too.

Board footer