You are not logged in.

#1 29-10-14 08:42:33

VandADI
Administrator

New car taxation laws

I purchased a second hand car for my son 3 weeks ago, it was from a private seller.  Under the new law, it states you must purchase tax when buying a second hand car.  The vehicle that was being purchased was SORN so I went online and purchased 12 months tax there and then and the DVLA sent me an email saying it had been done, however when I check on the GOV website to see the status of the vehicle, it still says it is SORN.  There is some small print stating "Please be aware that if you have taxed, made a SORN or had an MOT in the last 5 days these details may not have updated" but it had been taxed  3 weeks ago.
If the vehicle does through an ANPR camera would it be flagged up as untaxed?

29-10-14 08:42:33

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: New car taxation laws

#2 30-10-14 00:46:02

AUTAX
Verified Member

Try it. smile

Be Fear-less, go GEAR-LESS!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 30-10-14 08:25:02

Coasting Mart
Verified Member

Had a similar experience with renewing my insurance.  Despite renewing a week before it expired, a week after the new policy had come in MIB database was saying not insured.  I complained to the insurers and they said it can take up to 10 days to get updated.

You'd think in this age of computers it would be incredibly simple to press a button and update the database.
I didn't get stopped or anything but then I don't live in an area swamped with ANPR cameras or police!  I'm sure there are some but not as many as in 'civilisation'!  cool

As for the new paperless licence - yes, being able to check online will be really handy, as long as you've got a 3G signal!
Welcome to the brave new world.  neutral

"I swear I found the key to the universe in the engine of an old parked car"

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#4 07-11-14 14:28:18

VandADI
Administrator

If the vehicle does through an ANPR camera would it be flagged up as untaxed?

And the answer is.....untaxed....

The DVLA in their infinite wisdom, upon receiving the V5 from the seller, re-sorned the vehicle, therefore cancelling out the tax which I had paid for.
There is a major glitch in the new system of taxing vehicles.  In this case, the taxing is done instantly online, and when they receive the V5 in the post (about a week later) this over-rides the instant taxing online.

The DVLA have accepted responsibility for any FPN notices which may have occurred since issuing a refund.

#5 07-11-14 21:07:04

Coasting Mart
Verified Member

That is just hilarious!  How can anyone design a system that does that!!!  Amazing!  tongue
At least they aren't trying to fine you as well.

"I swear I found the key to the universe in the engine of an old parked car"

#6 07-11-14 23:09:28

VandADI
Administrator

I don't think the DVLA thought this new system through properly and it's only now that they are finding glitches in the system.

#7 07-11-14 23:39:10

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
Do any of you lease your cars?
How will you know that the lease company has renewed the tax?
They may have taxed it a month earlier than when it was delivered to you.
I suppose it is easier for us as generally there is only the one person responsible for the car, the instructor, but think about the situation for the driverrs of common user lease cars, each one of them will be taking it on trust that the car is taxed.
I work at a college with 6 lease cars and each one could have between 5 and 10 drivers in any one week.

Board footer