#1 01-10-14 17:50:07

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Why so difficult????

Hi
Brake light gone off today.
No problem methinks'.
Takes off light cover and can I get my (not very big)hand in???
Can I hell.
Off to garage tomorrow.
Do they EVER consider simple solutions like making the bl@@dy hole big enough?
IDIOTS!!!!!!
Peter
ps.rant over

Dont press that,oh @@##!

01-10-14 17:50:07

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Why so difficult????

#2 01-10-14 19:27:04

trunkmonkey

Perhaps if they made the light cluster removable from the outside. A couple of self-tappers and the cluster falls into your hand.
Quick push and twist to take the duff bulb out and repeat the process in reverse.

Naaah. It'll never catch on.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 01-10-14 19:51:21

kaf
Verified Member
Website

Should be part,of,type approval.

Every legally required incandescent bulb should be able to be replaced within 10 mins without special tools.
That's is the only way it will happen, force the improvement in design.

Then do what the French do, make carrying spare bulbs a legal requirement.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#4 01-10-14 21:13:19

martin Williams
Verified Member

trunkmonkey wrote:

Perhaps if they made the light cluster removable from the outside. A couple of self-tappers and the cluster falls into your hand.
Quick push and twist to take the duff bulb out and repeat the process in reverse.

Naaah. It'll never catch on.

More likely to fall into the hands of a thief. I guess that's why it's not removable from the outside.

#5 01-10-14 22:12:40

johnp
Verified Member

Technology has moved on to multiple cells making up the bulb so it never needs replacing.

Headlight bulbs are the main problem as the battery prevents access.
Remove the battery and everything needs reprogramming.

Driving is books-
1. "safe and responsible INDEPENDENCE."
2. "DISABILITY into ABILITY" 
3. "PSYCHOLOGY than SYSTEMS.
www.drivingincludesu.co.uk

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 02-10-14 10:40:31

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

kaf wrote:

... Then do what the French do, make carrying spare bulbs a legal requirement.

Actually that sounds like a good idea, I always encourage my students to carry spare bulbs in their own car(s).

Do the French also require that you tow a mobile workshop and have a mechanic sitting in the rear seat though?
Up to now my colleague Connie & I have always had Japanese cars and changing globes, especially brake lights, is usually very simple.
Connie then  bought a Tiida, a nice car sold as a Nissan but it is actually a Renault (which explains the split grille and un-Japanese design).
When a bulb blew the Tiida had to go into the workshop for "major surgery" to replace it - Connie was NOT impressed!!!

I don't know the situation in the UK but here in the NT cars get a very basic check before going out on a test - brake & indicator lights, horn & tyre tread, no doors hanging loose or dead bodies in the back seat, that sort of thing.
If there is a malfunctioning globe, even the high-mounted brake light LEDs, the car can't go on the test, most examiners allow up to 15 minutes to rectify it or the test has to be rescheduled at the candidate's expense (I pay the re-booking fee if this happens, and don't charge car hire for the 2nd attempt).
Once while sitting in my Lancer while the candidate manipulated the blinker wand for the ex standing at the rear, the ex said that a brake light wasn't working.
By the time I had made the candidate shut the engine down and got out to change it, the ex had already found the spare bulb/screw driver kit and was changing it himself.
We have great people working as examiners down here!

Late year my Swift started blowing the left-hand brake light at least once a fortnight, so I carried 3 or 4 spare stop/tail bulbs (simple & quick to replace but a real pain nonetheless).
I suspected a wiring fault and took it to an auto electrician who asked where I'd been getting the spares from, when I told him it was from an auto accessory retailer he snorted and said they were probably Made In China (eww!).
He sold me a Philips bulb for a few dollars and the problem went away, I haven't had it blow for over 6 months to date.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#7 02-10-14 17:00:00

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi
Update:whole lightcluster needs removing to get at the brakelight;1st bad thing about my Yaris!!!!!
Need to retrain as a mechanic now!
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

#8 02-10-14 17:13:16

kaf
Verified Member
Website

Cheaper to buy a Jazz.

#9 02-10-14 19:46:48

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi kaf
Last time I drove a jazz I hated it.
Slow and sluggish and braked like you had hit a wall.
Not for me.
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

#10 03-10-14 12:37:17

robcooling
Verified Member
Website

Perhaps if they made the light cluster removable from the outside.

Now I've aways thought this! In my Nissan Micra years ago it was easy, in my current car it involves having very flexible arms / fingers as its so fiddly.

Rob

http://www.appledriving.co.uk - Driving Lessons in Nottingham

#11 03-10-14 20:11:41

AUTAX
Verified Member

My Peugeot 308 is a doddle to replace rear lamps. Rear cluster comes off with two
hand knobs being unscrewed.

Front lights are ok too.

Be Fear-less, go GEAR-LESS!

#12 03-10-14 21:18:13

Triplea35
Verified Member

Now I KNOW I am going to regret saying this, but I don't carry spares, and in living memory can only recall ever having to change a bulb once in any of my own vehicles (rear tail light on a Pug 306 )

There I've said it, I'll buy some spares tomorrow!

#13 04-10-14 06:54:07

kaf
Verified Member
Website

Lucky boy,,I have had to change 3 headlamp bulbs in the last two ayers on our cars.

#14 04-10-14 23:13:17

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

I've never had a headlamp blow, it's the one bulb I don't carry but perhaps I should (Evan your post makes me feel guilty).
A bit of trivia: in 1967 my first car was a 1949 MM series Minor with 2 engines*, the 6V headlamps were so dim I had to get out and shine a torch on them to see if they were working.

More trivia: I always carry a torque-multiplier to undo stiff wheel nuts, and a rubber mallet to bop the wheel away from the axle.
I don't like scissor jacks so I always carry a hydraulic bottle jack - the scissor jack supplied with my Swift never seems to fit properly and I don't trust it (I wonder if Suzuki Australia sourced the jack locally and that's the reason it doesn't fit properly).
And at my age lifting a wheel onto the axle is hard work, especially with the wide alloys on my Lancer, so I also carry a device to lift the wheel and rotate it into position - it dismantles and stows away in a plastic case. Assembling it for use is tricky roll but it's still worth it.

*One engine under the bonnet powering the car, the other (original) engine in the boot. The speedo was from a Ford Prefect of the same age, I recalibrated it by pulling it apart and put a home-made dial face over the original. From memory, I think the diff was replaced with one from the same Prefect. The engine was fitted with twin Holley carburettors which lifted the top speed from about 50mph to an awe-inspiring 50½mph. For some unexplainable reason I also repainted the dashboard on a leopard-skin pattern.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
www.drivingnt.com

#15 05-10-14 06:53:38

Evan
Administrator

Zipper it was posted in jest, not the bit about spare bulbs or the compressor though, I do actually encourage pupils to buy spares and be familiar with how to change a bulb.

#16 05-10-14 07:54:51

johnp
Verified Member

Evan. Some years ago I had to rush up to Manchester owing to the illness of a relative.
It had snowed overnight and as we left the hospital was a brilliant sunny morning.

They had salted the M6 which dried on the screen giving a white crust.
Before we got to the Midlands I had used up all the fluid.
Fortunately had the spare container and was able to replenish and continue with the journey home.

I could not believe how much fluid I used on that journey.
Always keep topped up and carry a spare.

Driving is books-

#17 05-10-14 08:01:07

johnp
Verified Member

Zipper.
What is this wheel lifter like ?
Never seen one.

Driving is books-

#18 05-10-14 11:07:07

Evan
Administrator

John that is exactly what I mean none of us know what is around the corner or indeed when we may have to go somewhere unexpectedly.
Our job is not just to teach folk to drive it's to educate them about keeping themselves safe this means checking to make sure the car they drive is fit for purpose.
Some may see the show me tell me questions as not that important, I start teaching them from the controlled stop lesson, tyre depth, pressure, effects of ineffective brakes on car stability and stopping distances!

#19 05-10-14 11:55:07

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Hi John I'll dig up some photos I think I might have somewhere, otherwise I'll get one of my units and photograph it .

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
www.drivingnt.com

#20 05-10-14 12:48:54

johnp
Verified Member

The funniest one I get is telling them to go to the toilet at the Motorway Services.
They never seem to think what if they are stuck for hours and desperate.

If they don't need to THEN- they don't seem to think ahead.
Maybe it is being a father/granddad that makes me so aware.

Driving is books-

#21 05-10-14 16:03:07

Coasting Mart
Verified Member

Screen wash is indeed very important. I have been known to relate my tale of screen wash emergency while doing S&T Qs!
Driving down the M6 on a winter evening. Damp roads with salt grime being misted up by the cars ahead. Windscreen going grey. Wipers just smeared it, so washers were needed, frequently. By the Blackpool junction the washers had run out.  About 5 mins later, with the wipers smearing the screen, we had to pull up on the hard shoulder cos I really couldn't see through the screen!
"Ok, who's got some water?"
No one (this was many years ago before bottled water was common).
So, after searching the car for any fluid of any kind, there we were, four lads standing on the side of the motorway trying hard to pee into a couple of old coke bottles!!
Yes, we managed to get to the next services with screen wash based on pee!  cool

"I swear I found the key to the universe in the engine of an old parked car"

#22 07-10-14 06:41:11

AUTAX
Verified Member

When you consider how the size of the washer reservoir has grown over the years
it makes you wonder how we got to the end of the road without needing it topped up.

You had to be very frugal when using the washers in those days.

Be Fear-less, go GEAR-LESS!

#23 07-10-14 18:39:36

steve@bdl

kaf wrote:

My Renault Modus has a job time of TWO hours for a headlight bulb, I was literally quaking on a recent trip to Paris :-)

#24 07-10-14 20:27:29

trunkmonkey

steve@bdl wrote:
kaf wrote:

My Renault Modus has a job time of TWO hours for a headlight bulb, I was literally quaking on a recent trip to Paris :-)

It's French.

Look at what needs to be done  (30mins).
Get a second opinion (30mins)
Coffee Break (30mins)
Change the bulb (10mins)
Stand back and admire (20mins)

Total job time 2hrs.......... unless they go on strike

#25 07-10-14 21:11:48

la.monikita
Verified Member

Check my Fabia brake lights. 2p opens the light cluster, I think in might be the fastest bulb change ever yet. The car done 40k no bulbs needed thus far smile

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

Board footer