You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 24-09-14 08:14:09

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Dipping a Mitsubishi

I’ve trained in various Mitsubishi cars & trucks over the years, they have all had the same idiosyncrasy in the way the headlight dipping function works.
In most cars that I’ve owned or taught in, high beam is selected by pushing the control stalk forward, low beam by pulling it back, and headlight flash is achieved by pulling the stalk further back then letting it spring forward again to the low beam position.

In Mitsubishis the control stalk only goes back then springs forward again, it won’t go forwards.
I can see some advantages to this system in that you don’t need to remember whether low beam is push forward or pull back, and the lights are arranged so that when first switched on they will come up on low beam.

However I occasionally have problems when doing night drives with students in my Mitsubishi Lancer, when I asked them to flash the headlights they pull the stalk so far back that it clicks and stays on high beam, instead of giving a brief flash – blinding the oncoming drivers instead of signalling to them.

I also found that students who drive non-Mitsubishi family cars a lot at night, get hopelessly tangled up with the Mitsubishi dipping system – and the situation is worsened if the stalk is on the opposite side of the wheel that they’ve got accustomed to.

What’s the situation in the UK – has anyone come across a non-Mitsubishi vehicle with a Mitsubishi style dip switch*, and are indicator stalks in the UK on the left, the right, or a mixture of both?

*Excluding the old-style "stomp a floor-mounted button with one's foot" system.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

24-09-14 08:14:09

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Dipping a Mitsubishi

#2 24-09-14 11:22:26

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
My Volvos have had the sprung type dip switch (slight up pressure for flash click and spring back for change) never found a problem with it.
All euro built cars now have LH switches, AFAIK  it took a few years though for British built cars to change over to this "wrong" side, being a euro compliance issue which suits LH drive vehicles better than RH drive.
I believe Japanese vehicles made in Japan still have RH indicators.

#3 25-09-14 22:38:24

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Thanks for the reply pegasus.

I've never had a problem with the Mitsubishi dipswitch system but most of my students do.
I think this is because:
(1) In the NT, RH switches probably outnumber LH as we have a huge amount of Japanese cars (Landcruisers & 4WD Hilux utes dominate the roads), and
(2) most of my students have more driving time in their family vehicles than in my training cars.
I think that Japanese cars assembled outside of Japan still have RH switches.
Oh for the good 'ol days when we stomped a button on the floor, although this wouldn't work for one-legged drivers.

Another thing that annoys me with Mitsubishis is the choice of red to illuminate the dials.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

Board footer