You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 05-09-14 21:31:26

christhedrummer
Verified Member
Website

05-09-14 21:31:26

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: A very powerful video..

#2 06-09-14 16:02:52

Coasting Mart
Verified Member

A sad event but not that uncommon unfortunately.
One of the problems with the vid is that the biker WAS speeding excessively. Depending on your forum/group it is very easy to blame the rider and sympathise with the car driver, cos a bike coming at you at that speed would be very hard to see (goes the line). I think the vid will unfortunately just confirm both 'camps' in their beliefs. Bikers are speed maniacs and (just like cyclists) think they're above the law. Car drivers are tossers and need to look properly. Pick your side.  neutral

"I swear I found the key to the universe in the engine of an old parked car"

#3 06-09-14 16:17:54

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi
I agree,but if it makes a few more people,bikers and car drivers,think a bit more,then its very worthwhile.
Powerful stuff!
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

#4 06-09-14 17:24:31

Evan
Administrator

Thank God he didn't hit a pedestrian or a group of children, I feel sorry for the bereaved and the anguish left behind but 38 years of age riding at 97 mph does not enhance the "Think Bike" slogan.

To be honest I despair of people who use excessive speed because they put the lives of others in danger! Just my feelings and you can shoot me down if you like! But you will not ever give me a good enough argument to justify driving or riding so fast.

#5 06-09-14 17:24:40

kaf
Verified Member
Website

Looking at how close the biker was on the previous overtake, he was a fatal collision waiting to happen.

But it shouldn't have been there if the car driver was looking properly.

#6 06-09-14 20:03:56

Gordonline
Verified Member

I applaud the family for allowing this footage to be shown in public and if it saves only one persons life it's done its job effectively, however you can't excuse the excessive speed he was travelling at, approaching a major hazard with a car waiting to turn right, he was playing Russian roulette with his life and lost, (imagine this was a newly qualified driver who happened to misjudge his approaching speed....possibly would've never driven again)

I drive on blue lights but would never drive at that speed through a similar hazard, and I've got the safety of a vehicle to protect me

I use to be a biker and always treated every other road user as a numpty, that way I would never be surprised at their actions, and when a driver did the exact same thing to me, my injuries were only minor due to my speed was appropriate for the road type

I feel sorry for David's family and the driver of the car, although some fault lies with the car driver, they will have to live with this for the rest of their lives

RIP David !!!!!

Gordon

The Glass is Always Half Full !!!!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 08-09-14 19:41:48

la.monikita
Verified Member

Gordonline wrote:

I applaud the family for allowing this footage to be shown in public and if it saves only one persons life it's done its job effectively, however you can't excuse the excessive speed he was travelling at, approaching a major hazard with a car waiting to turn right, he was playing Russian roulette with his life and lost, (imagine this was a newly qualified driver who happened to misjudge his approaching speed....possibly would've never driven again)

I drive on blue lights but would never drive at that speed through a similar hazard, and I've got the safety of a vehicle to protect me

I use to be a biker and always treated every other road user as a numpty, that way I would never be surprised at their actions, and when a driver did the exact same thing to me, my injuries were only minor due to my speed was appropriate for the road type

I feel sorry for David's family and the driver of the car, although some fault lies with the car driver, they will have to live with this for the rest of their lives

RIP David !!!!!

Gordon

I agree with you. There will be many places when bike can go that fast. I went to the Isle of Man, and did 120 on one of the straights, but there was simply too much traffic to progress with such speeds.

Even on blue lights you have to accept that some people are fast asleep and potentially miss a blue light vehicle. A bike coming at that speed with a car behind them might become unrecognizable and a part of the following traffic. The man who died started to ride at 16, but he obviously lacked imagination.  It was his fault for not assessing all the risks and riding for too fast for the conditions.

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

#8 08-09-14 22:31:15

trunkmonkey

Four days after the video is released, and also in Norfolk

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-29106421

#9 09-09-14 05:21:34

AUTAX
Verified Member

From the picture of the video milliseconds before impact, if the motorcyclist had
been riding at or within the speed limit then there wouldn't have been a collision.

The motorist shoulders some of the blame because he said he didn't see the bike
or the car so not observing correctly. It is a tragedy and from what TM reports
lessons are not always learnt within the motorcycling fraternity just as much as lessons
are not always learnt within the motoring fraternity.

Be Fear-less, go GEAR-LESS!

Board footer