You are not logged in.

#1 05-09-14 18:45:26

richie1966
Verified Member

Part Time driving instructors

On test today the examiner mentioned he was a part time DE and had another full time job. How long have DVSA been using part time DE?

05-09-14 18:45:26

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Part Time driving instructors

#2 05-09-14 18:55:19

MGM
Verified Member

Sorry - I thought from the thread title that you meant me hmm

As far as the part time EXAMINERS go, I don't know the answer but why does it matter?

#3 05-09-14 19:25:23

reddragonbus
Verified Member

Most examiners seem to be part time.

LGV PCV Instructor DVSA ADI Fleet

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 05-09-14 19:32:51

CantThinkofaName
Verified Member

Don't know about the mainland but here in NI some examiners work in the MOT centres as inspectors then do tests on weekends or to fill in for the full time ones who are off

DKL Driving School Belfast www.drivinglessonsbelfast.co.uk

#5 05-09-14 19:48:41

richie1966
Verified Member

Hi MGM. I do not have an issue with part time DE. I applied to become a DE last year, but was unsuccessful, and just assumed it was a full time role (silly me wink ). I only asked because I was not aware there were part time DE. The same DE at my local test centre seem to be there every time I take a pupil for test. Only asking to see if part time DE were common across the country (I am based in sunny Bristol).

#6 06-09-14 07:39:44

Triplea35
Verified Member

I am aware of one DE who works reduced hours due to childcare issues, even one of her test times is different to all the others from the TC to accommodate her needs. Shows the DVSA are a caring employer! smile

I applied this year, more out of interest rather than serious intent to be one, it doesn't really excite me. Got through the first two simple stages and would have possibly gone to Cardington for the assessment but I think the 'if you don't hear anything within six months' is about up.

Really think the £21k salary is pretty poor.

Last edited by Triplea35 (06-09-14 14:30:45)

#7 06-09-14 09:39:48

Joe24
Verified Member

One at our TC who is semi-retired and thus works part time.

#8 06-09-14 23:28:58

MAZ
Verified Member

When I looked into it about 9 years ago the contracts only guaranteed 600 hours per anum, so no good for somone like my self with a mortgage to pay, but shortly after we had the great examiner famine so all the examiners were working flat out, so would be earning full time money. In recent years test demand has fallen, those shrewd examiners that saw this coming added new disciplines to thier repertoire like LGV, bikes, ADI testing and some even learned enough Welsh language to gain more hours and earning stability. Those that didn't are obviously happy with part time hours. Nowadays I am usually one of only 2 ADI's with pupils on test at centres that ten years ago would have 5-6 tests going out at a time. The jobs changed.

Maz.

#9 07-09-14 11:46:16

Triplea35
Verified Member

Not sure if this localised but there certainly does not appear to be a significant reduction in demand for tests in my area, we are still on a 6/7 week waiting list with Saturday tests and for the first time this year have been running two extra test slots Mon to Thurs.

In the Winter demand reduces and we do have fewer examiners on, I always presumed holidays etc, but perhaps as you suggest Maz some examiners are not required.

We do have a LGV examiner who also does car tests, and a bike examiner who does cars as overtime. Regarding ADI testing though I am aware the DVSA have recently removed an additional allowance that was paid to examiners so our main SC examiner is no longer doing them and has reverted back just to car test.

#10 07-09-14 14:36:25

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Waiting times at my TC is 6 weeks, but where we used to have 6 or 7 examiners  I now only ever see 2 or 3. 
A part time examiner here packed up last christmas.   

To answer the op part timers have been around quite a long time.  Those I knew were examiners who had semi retired.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#11 07-09-14 15:41:31

Triplea35
Verified Member

Roadmaster wrote:

Waiting times at my TC is 6 weeks, but where we used to have 6 or 7 examiners  I now only ever see 2 or 3.

That observation would suggest a significant drop in tests of over 50%. Over what time scale? Since 2007/2008 car tests have only dropped by 17% and are in fact on the rise again. Much of this must be down to the recession, also increased costs in insurance, and not forgetting an increase in the overall pass rate of 3%.

#12 07-09-14 17:48:45

johnp
Verified Member

The ones who did not learn at 17 have now reached their 20s so there is now a boost. (only a demographic suggestion )

Driving is books-
1. "safe and responsible INDEPENDENCE."
2. "DISABILITY into ABILITY" 
3. "PSYCHOLOGY than SYSTEMS.
www.drivingincludesu.co.uk

Board footer