You are not logged in.

#1 28-06-14 22:53:07

brettroe

Thinking of becoming a driving instructor

Hi, im thinking of becoming a driving instructor but have a few questions, i have been looking around online for courses an was wondering if anyone had any recomendations? also i was wondering if there are many companys in the uk that actually employ you rather than being self employed or a franchise and if so, could you point me in the right direction as im strugeling to find anything? reason being id like to get a mortgage soon, and to do so, i need to be in employment at a decent paid job for a year before i can apply, where as if i were to be self employed, it would need to be 4 years before i could apply, i would really appriciate any advice you guys could offer me, thanks in advance, Brett

Last edited by brettroe (28-06-14 22:56:18)

28-06-14 22:53:07

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Thinking of becoming a driving instructor

#2 28-06-14 23:15:29

Evan
Administrator

Hi Brett, welcome to the forum!
As far as I am aware there are no companies who will employ you as an ADI.
With regards training, you will probably need to allocate about a year for training. If and when you qualify, you then face the reality of having a qualification that is useless unless you can get work.
On average I would hazard a guess that it will take a few years to get established and earn a reasonable living.
You could go the franchise route, but be prepared to pay for it and do not expect that being part of a franchise will guarantee you work because it won't.
With regards training, research, research and research again. Their are some very good trainers out there but you need to research very carefully, try finding others in your local area who have been trained by good trainers.
If you are looking to get on the housing ladder over the next couple of years, this may not be the best job for you, as when you start off you can have very lean weeks. I am very busy, but it was not always that way and there is nothing worse then waiting for the phone to ring and it doesn't!

#3 28-06-14 23:25:06

brettroe

hi and thank you so much for the reply, before i came to this forum id only seen all the wild storys on the big websites (red, AA etc), it has certanly brought me back down to earth reading through this forum, i think my savings would be better spent elseware, so glad i checked this forum before going for it, thanks everyone for the honest posts, really apriciate it smile

#4 29-06-14 06:18:07

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Brett, don't do it.     

L training is no longer a main income source, certainly not one a newbie can live on.     
Don't listen to all the hype these big companies put out about earnings.  Yes you could earn 25 grand if you are able to work 60 hours a week but then you end up giving more than half of it to the school in fees.

The big driving schools don't make a penny from L lessons.  Their income comes from charging training fees and then 'franchise' fees, so it's the PDIs and ADIs who keep them in business.

If you are still determined and have a regular income at present, keep it, and use any spare cash you can afford to get pay as you go training from a good independent local trainer.  There are lots of them around if you are willing, as Evan says, to do research.    If you post which area you are in some members may be able to recommend.

Last edited by Roadmaster (29-06-14 06:49:44)

Board footer