You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#26 07-07-14 20:34:38

martin Williams
Verified Member

Re: Farewell to my Yaris and hello to my....

gabby_adi wrote:

My current Mini was £21K new though, so a Yaris or cheaper car would probably be more cost effective but my choice of car is important to me because I spend 12 hours a day in the car.

Yikes £21K or a car no wonder your working 12 hours a day.

07-07-14 20:34:38

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#27 07-07-14 20:54:18

RobC
Verified Member
Website

martin Williams wrote:
gabby_adi wrote:

My current Mini was £21K new though, so a Yaris or cheaper car would probably be more cost effective but my choice of car is important to me because I spend 12 hours a day in the car.

Yikes £21K or a car no wonder your working 12 hours a day.

I paid just over £14K at 7 months and 7000 miles. I could have bought a cheaper car but I like Minis and the 12 hour days are far too much, and not of my choosing its just difficult to turn work down. If anyone knows a good PDI or ADI in my area who needs some pupils we may be able to work something out together.

Last edited by RobC (07-07-14 20:54:31)

www.midasbustraining.webs.com
Midas Minibus Driver Assessor Trainer & Passenger Assistant Trainer
DVSA Fleet Registered Trainer

#28 07-07-14 21:03:51

RobC
Verified Member
Website

gabby_adi wrote:

I agree the Mini is more appealing than a toyota yaris and a BIG attraction to pupils, how is it to teach in and do all the manuveurs?

what is anything would you say is bad about the car as an instructors car

RobC wrote:
gabby_adi wrote:

Thats not true...there are a few adis here that have gone out and bought the new bmw 1 series and some have bought the new mercedes a class and these adis are full with pupils - the car does make a big difference - pupils are are more conscious of what car they drive and are seen learning in...times have changed from when pupils did not care what car they learnt in

I would say there are several factors for pupils deciding upon an ADI, Recommendation, Car, Price are how well you market your business are probably the main ones.
How an ADI perceives the attractiveness of their car depends upon which car he or she drives. I have had pupils from other instructors and they haven't known or cared what the car was but equally the Mini has been an attraction to pupils for me and Ive had three Minis. All my Minis have been reliable and I'm planning on getting another because my pupils like them. My current Mini was £21K new though, so a Yaris or cheaper car would probably be more cost effective but my choice of car is important to me because I spend 12 hours a day in the car.

Minis are great to drive, mines a special edition made for the London Olympics and I wouldn't have picked the 17" wheels which give a firm ride. Good visibility for manoeuvres, mine also had a 50,00 mile service pack with it.

#29 07-07-14 22:17:37

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

I agree Kaf

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#30 08-07-14 06:27:38

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Minis are great to drive, mines a special edition made for the London Olympics and I wouldn't have picked the 17" wheels which give a firm ride. Good visibility for manoeuvres, mine also had a 50,00 mile service pack with it.

In your opinion.   Learners don't have experience of driving different cars so don't have the same opinions.  All they want is to learn how to drive a thing with 4 wheels.  There are lots of cars which are great to drive.  I've just replaced a Nissan Note which was a superb car, and so easy for learners to handle.

I would never touch a mini.   Not big enough, and the cost is far too high for a working car in my view.   My personal preference is for space, comfort and lots of toys rather than a car which looks flashy.   I'd much rather spend 500 quid on something useful for the car rather than a big stripe down the middle so people outside can say "that's nice".

Not many learners will be able to afford a mini when they pass, they are far more likely to end up with a yaris or corsa.

#31 08-07-14 06:54:23

AUTAX
Verified Member

I don't want to go down the road of my car is better than anyone else's. My Peugeot 308 is comfortable and when asked the students all say they like the car, one or two even want to buy it off me.

However, I did look at a mini two years ago before I opted for the DS3. The leg room in the rear is none existent when the driver's seat is fully back. That would prevent me, 6' 1", from going out on test with my student.

Be Fear-less, go GEAR-LESS!

#32 09-07-14 06:29:14

RobC
Verified Member
Website

Roadmaster wrote:

In your opinion.   Learners don't have experience of driving different cars so don't have the same opinions.  All they want is to learn how to drive a thing with 4 wheels.  There are lots of cars which are great to drive.  I've just replaced a Nissan Note which was a superb car, and so easy for learners to handle.

I would never touch a mini.   Not big enough, and the cost is far too high for a working car in my view.   My personal preference is for space, comfort and lots of toys rather than a car which looks flashy.   I'd much rather spend 500 quid on something useful for the car rather than a big stripe down the middle so people outside can say "that's nice".

Not many learners will be able to afford a mini when they pass, they are far more likely to end up with a yaris or corsa.

Ive had 3 Minis and they're big enough for me. Rear legroom is limited but i'm 5'11" and its never stopped me sitting in on test. I could have bought a cheaper car or a basic Mini but there are lots of ADIs with Minis and equally expensive Audi A1s and DS3s etc so they don't consider them too expensive for a working car. I don't buy new and the residuals are good. At the end of the day I'm willing to pay a little more because I spend a lot of time in the car and im not really bothered which car pupils buy after passing the test, or which car other ADIs drive come to that.

Last edited by RobC (09-07-14 06:41:27)

#33 09-07-14 06:51:30

AUTAX
Verified Member

I think you'll find that the DS3s are either leased through Hitachi or leased direct from Citroen.
The savings from Citroen were quite significant over Hitachi.

I doubt many DS3s are bought outright because Citroen, unfortunately, do not hold their price well.

Last edited by AUTAX (09-07-14 06:51:47)

#34 09-07-14 09:59:31

RobC
Verified Member
Website

AUTAX wrote:

I think you'll find that the DS3s are either leased through Hitachi or leased direct from Citroen.
The savings from Citroen were quite significant over Hitachi.

I doubt many DS3s are bought outright because Citroen, unfortunately, do not hold their price well.

Good point, the reason why there are so many DS3s around is probably that they are leased. I have never leased but imagine it is easy to justify another £10 or so a week for a better spec car. There probably becomes a point where an ADIs car becomes too expensive for learners but If I couldn't have afforded my car then I wouldn't have bought it.

#35 09-07-14 16:15:18

AUTAX
Verified Member

It's everyone to their own Rob. Like I said, I didn't want to start a mine is better than the rest debate. You love the mini and so do you're pups. Doesn't matter what others think. They love their cars but not all do. It's all a matter of personal preference.

I did contemplate buying my brother's BMW series one diesel. It was 4 years old and he would have let me have it for around £9,000 but then he decided to keep it longer. I thought it might have been a unique selling point but then I saw a black one crop up near Bournemouth. Must admit though it didn't last more than a year before it disappeared.

Last edited by AUTAX (09-07-14 16:16:48)

#36 10-07-14 05:53:34

RobC
Verified Member
Website

AUTAX wrote:

It's everyone to their own Rob. Like I said, I didn't want to start a mine is better than the rest debate. You love the mini and so do you're pups. Doesn't matter what others think. They love their cars but not all do. It's all a matter of personal preference.

I did contemplate buying my brother's BMW series one diesel. It was 4 years old and he would have let me have it for around £9,000 but then he decided to keep it longer. I thought it might have been a unique selling point but then I saw a black one crop up near Bournemouth. Must admit though it didn't last more than a year before it disappeared.

Agree with your comments. Regarding the BMW 1 series, if we acknowledge it is a USP then the car we drive does make a difference, at least to some pupils. I might like to tell myself that I am consistently very busy because i'm a such fantastic instructor but in reality my Mini has been a factor why some pupils have chosen me. I cant put a price on this but certainly many thousands of pounds of work over the past five years and as far as I am concerned the car has paid for itself.

Interestingly there is also an instructor in my area with the USP of a BMW 1 series, and if test centre conversations can be relied on the ADI isn't always very busy because of their skills as an instructor!

Last edited by RobC (10-07-14 06:30:25)

#37 21-07-14 20:35:03

gabby_adi

how do you stop your alloys from getting kerbed which will happen no doubt, do you find because of the mini you got more pupils just on the basis of the car?

RobC wrote:
Roadmaster wrote:

Ive had 3 Minis and they're big enough for me. Rear legroom is limited but i'm 5'11" and its never stopped me sitting in on test. I could have bought a cheaper car or a basic Mini but there are lots of ADIs with Minis and equally expensive Audi A1s and DS3s etc so they don't consider them too expensive for a working car. I don't buy new and the residuals are good. At the end of the day I'm willing to pay a little more because I spend a lot of time in the car and im not really bothered which car pupils buy after passing the test, or which car other ADIs drive come to that.

#38 21-07-14 21:13:54

AUTAX
Verified Member

The front N/S alloys on my DS3 were kerbed quite a bit during the 2 years I had it.
The overhang from the low profile tyres did not protect the alloy rim one bit.
Never understood fully why they got kerned so much. Always looked as though we were close enough and then crunch.
Now I have my 308 with steel rims and 65 profile tyres which have a large overhang,
the kerb is hardly touched at all.

Incidentally, when I came to return the car, Citroen wanted it back in perfect order or you paid workshop prices to have it rectified.
I had a local guy touch up a scrape and he refurbished the front alloy with a grinder. It looked wrecked until he went to work.
At the assessment it was classed as A1. £80 for the touch up and £40 per wheel, 3 wheels.
I was reliably informed that Citroen would charge me £260 per alloy replaced and God knows how much for the blow in.

Last edited by AUTAX (21-07-14 21:15:50)

#39 21-07-14 22:34:02

Rob_BWFC
Verified Member
Website

I got rid of my Yaris. Picking up my Golf on Wednesday. Got to say, it's nice having a car just for me again.

Annoyingly, I bought my Yaris brand new in September 2012 and about three days later got an interview for the railway. So, based on my projected mileage at the time, I've been paying over the odds for it.

I'm done...outta here!

#40 21-07-14 22:59:53

gabby_adi

IMO a prestige marque like the new shape BMW 1 series will pull clients as would the Mini and the Beetle more compared than a yaris or fiesta

Board footer