You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 08-06-14 10:54:08

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Costs in the NT Down Under

On another thread, la.monikita asked what is the cost of a 1 hour lesson in Darwin, Northern Territory, Aust (where I am).

My standard 1 hour fee is $70.00 (£38.85), which is what most others charge.

Fuel here is about $1.74/litre (£0.97) - the highest in Australia even though the fuel tankers from overseas come to Darwin before continuing on to the rest of Australia.

We are paid $75.00 per lesson when training immigrants & boat people on a subsidised program for immigrants.

We also have a government subsidised program for all 16 to 25 year olds, ten of the lessons are subsidised with a lesson voucher worth $44.00 incl GST(VAT), or £24.42
The value of the voucher is topped up with cash, the average rate is $25.00 (£13.88).

I’m lucky to be renting a boxy concrete unit which needs repainting, the electric cooker is awful and the fridge is an old non-frost-free unit, and the main area isn’t air-conditioned.
The reason I’m lucky is that the rent is only $330.00 per week (£183.17), significantly lower than that paid by other tenants in my block.
I get by quite well with an excellent little gas Weber Baby-Q lidded barbecue, a microwave oven and a set portable gas burners.
Living expenses in the NT are the highest in Australia – temperate climate fruit & most vegetables don’t seem grow well in tropical soils and they aren’t all that fresh by the time they’ve been trucked in from hundreds of miles away.

The high cost of living is because Darwin has natural resources (gold, gas, copper, uranium) and has been an expanding boom area for decades now – most workers are well-paid and we have a huge cadre of well-paid public servants as well.

I'm interested in how these figures compare to the UK.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

08-06-14 10:54:08

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Costs in the NT Down Under

#2 08-06-14 12:51:32

daz6215
Verified Member

10 lessons for 90 quid, fuel about £1.35-40 for a litre of diesel, lots of busy fools!

#3 08-06-14 17:11:19

AUTAX
Verified Member

Average cost of a 1 hour lesson is about £23.
Woefully low compared to yours or Germany/France.

No legislation on length of time required with a Driving Instructor
and no requirement to have had any input from one at all.

Most want to pass as soon as possible.

Hence the customer drives the prices down and keeps them low.

Be Fear-less, go GEAR-LESS!

Board footer