You are not logged in.

#1 13-05-14 13:10:18

hemlock
Verified Member
Website

A bit of advice please.

Hi, I'm returning to motorcycling again after a 20 break.
Kids all grown up and mortgage paid.

The advice I'm after is when slowing down I was taught, while braking, to go through the gears and let the clutch out using engine braking.
As I was taught the same when driving a car.

Is this still the accepted way of slowing down with newer bikes or can you brake to the speed you want and go through the gears to gear you need without letting the clutch out.

I am planning on taking further training with ROSPA when I get my new motorbike.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

13-05-14 13:10:18

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: A bit of advice please.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 13-05-14 13:37:56

Coasting Mart
Verified Member

Cars have obviously moved on, so 'block' changing rather than sequential is the thing.
You can't do that on a bike, so you have to clunk down through all the gears.  Whether you need to let the clutch out depends mostly on the bike & gear box.  Generally you can clunk all the way down into first without having to engage the clutch, but sometimes, some bikes need it after a couple of gear changes.  The cogs get a bit confused esp on smaller gear boxes.

The only note of caution is, if you're not stopping, be careful you haven't just put it into first while rolling quite quickly up to a RAB. Let the clutch out and you'll get lots of engine braking!  On a fast approach to a RAB I'll usually only go down two gears, ease the clutch, see how that feels regarding engine and speed, then either change down again, esp if continuing to slow more, or if it feels good fine.
Everyone forgets which gear they're in, so rather than being in 6 you might be in 4 and having a 'spirited ride' towards the RAB.  Knock it down 3 and you'll be unexpectedly in first if you thought you were in top!

Do more engine braking on the bike than the car, but definite advantages in using the brakes as well to slow.
Hope that makes sense.   cool

"I swear I found the key to the universe in the engine of an old parked car"

#3 13-05-14 19:55:28

hemlock
Verified Member
Website

Thanks for your advice.

#4 14-05-14 10:51:20

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

When I got my Moto Guzzi California 1000 (after stepping off a 750cc Yamaha 4) way back in the mid nineties I was impressed how well the brakes slowed the largish cruiser down, so I indulged in a bit of block changing - called "skip shifting" down here - by braking first then rapidly stabbing down the gear lever in succession, usually only two, sometimes three, gears at a time though.

I never told my motor mechanic mate though in case he disowned me, but I always thought I somehow felt safer doing it that way.
Later on I became a trainee instructor and found out about skip shifting.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

Board footer