You are not logged in.

#1 23-04-14 13:47:47

big dog

Have standards gone down?

Hi

Some colleagues of mine who were perennial grade 5's have been awarded the new grade A under the new system. It seems that the better grade 5's are going to achieve grade A so there will be less of a badge of honour to hold the top grade unlike with the grade 6 which last year only 4% of ADI's had. Interested in your opinion.

Grade 6 DSA Instructor, ROSPA Gold, IAM First, DIAmond Special Test, ORDIT registered

23-04-14 13:47:47

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Have standards gone down?

#2 23-04-14 15:06:18

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Apart from DVSA, who cares about grades?

#3 23-04-14 15:51:03

big dog

ORDIT trainers, Fleet trainers. It is one of the few ways we have of gaining a competitive edge and differentiating our service from others without trying to distinguish ourselves on price. It also provides customers with information to make a decision between the different trainers they may contract.

Grade 6 DSA Instructor, ROSPA Gold, IAM First, DIAmond Special Test, ORDIT registered

#4 23-04-14 16:18:26

martin_t
Verified Member

You want to live or die by a one hour assessment once every four years? Sheesh!

The problem from the client's POV is that if you luck out, and rub the examiner up the right (DVSA) way, you can then fool the clients into thinking you're the bees knees. Or, vice versa.

#5 23-04-14 16:26:13

butt2
Verified Member

The standards check top grade has been dissolved because it will now include a much larger number of ADI's.

So for those that were proud of achieving and maintaining the top grade its a bit of a shame.

#6 23-04-14 16:30:48

big dog

See what you are saying Martin. It is obviously not the only barometer of how professional and competent you are. The problem is that without any differentiation on quality customers perceive the only important criteria to be price. Ten lessons for £100 anyone?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#7 23-04-14 18:55:05

Roadmaster
Verified Member

big dog wrote:

See what you are saying Martin. It is obviously not the only barometer of how professional and competent you are. The problem is that without any differentiation on quality customers perceive the only important criteria to be price. Ten lessons for £100 anyone?

But price is exactly what the public go on,  if not recommendation. They certainly don't take any notice of what grade an ADI is.

#8 23-04-14 19:07:19

ralge
Verified Member

I have never used my CT grade with my customers and only mention it to my fleet paymasters in order to keep on their books and continue to earn their princely daily rates (yeah, right!).
What I don't get is that the DVSA have made a big thing out of the SC's ability to make it easier for Jo Public to understand what they are paying for, quality-wise.  Really?  How will that work?
Reducing the CT's 3 pass-grades (of which Jo Public was blissfully unaware) down to just 2 for the SC doesn't do it for me at all or for JP if JP knows nothing about it.  The ADI press is full of it but I have seen and heard nothing of the change in the press or on Jeremy Vine et al.

DSA Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Dip, PTLLS, Safed for Vans, NDAC/Speed Awareness on-road trainer, RoSPA RoAD Test Examiner.

#9 23-04-14 19:09:00

Evan
Administrator

Would you rather get good feedback from a stranger every four years? Or good feedback from all your pupils which generates more work for you?

I know to many people grades are important, and its nice to get a bit of positive feedback, but from an ADI's perspective it is far more important to be busy and popular with pupils.

#10 23-04-14 19:11:39

daz6215
Verified Member

Have standards gone down? or is it that the methods employed by some of those grade 5s weren't recognised by the old check test?

#11 23-04-14 19:13:19

martin_t
Verified Member

The only time I've been asked my grade in seven years in the job is in the last two years - by my insurance broker!!! (I'd REALLY like to know how THAT affects my risk factor).

Once, and only once, did I have someone enquire as to the colour of my instructor licence.

#12 23-04-14 21:11:09

sofasurfer
Verified Member

Grades are meaningless, the public don't know about them, a grade A won't boost your profits. I have only been asked for my licence once in 11 years + and only asked my grade once, I told her I was a grade 1 and she was really impressed. Forget grades, worry about your next lesson :-)

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#13 24-04-14 15:17:38

Driver99

big dog wrote:

ORDIT trainers, Fleet trainers. It is one of the few ways we have of gaining a competitive edge and differentiating our service from others without trying to distinguish ourselves on price. It also provides customers with information to make a decision between the different trainers they may contract.

Won't the new system be even better for you - an ADI could now say they're "Grade A with 48/51 score" (for example) - the score will be an even better differentiator of achievement than 4/5/6 or A/B?

Maybe an employer could advertise for "Grade As above 46" or similar?

#14 24-04-14 16:33:25

MAZ
Verified Member

Just think the DVSA will be able to brag that the new check has improved driving instructor standards due to a massive increase in ADI 's reaching the "highest grade".

Maz.

Board footer