You are not logged in.

#1 22-04-14 21:56:46

lenzcrafter
Website

In car camera - which one?

I am looking into buying an in car camera for my safety and also to play back certain situations for pupils if needs be.

Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations on what's decent out on the market at the moment?

Many thanks

Matt

22-04-14 21:56:46

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: In car camera - which one?

#2 23-04-14 09:19:58

ratty

What are your safety concerns?

#3 23-04-14 18:42:26

Stephen7738

Try a decent priced one for long life and a good warranty like a Roadhawk as they have  number of different cameras to suit needs of Professionals and 2 yr warranty and a good back up if any problems but to be honest not many.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 29-04-14 22:39:15

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Has anyone apart from me tried the Blackvue cameras?
I have the Blackvue 550, I tried it because it has a front & rear camera integrated into the one system.
I'm not sure if I would recommend it though, because ...

*1* The quality doesn't seem to be as good as the clips on some internet reviews - the clips were very clear (taken on bright sunny days) and from memory I think they were all reviewing the single-camera system.
It's possible the addition of the rear facing camera is a bit too much workload for the system because there are occasional pixellated areas and overal image quality is not as clear as I had hoped, and my cameras are operating in extreme conditions such as tropical heat.

*2* The software is comprehensive but could be improved for easier use.
I couldn't view clips at all on my XP system, under Windows 7 they are viewable but I've noticed a few rear camera shots render as useless swathes of colour.

*3* The camera talks AND I CAN'T SHUT IT UP!
At startup: "Blackvue for your safe driving. Starting normal recording."
After a while: "WiFi off".
If the student stalls: "Blackvue shutting down".
After restart we go through it all again - it interrupts when we try to talk to each other.
Also while parking: "Parking mode enabled" or "Parking mode disabled".
Instructor: "SHUT THE EFF UP!!!" (not with students present of course).
I tried little chunks of pencil eraser taped over the speaker grill but it only drops the volume slightly.

Why is it that geeks who design technological wonders are so infatuated with their own abilities that they add useless stuff which gets in the way more often that not?
This is evident in many smart phones, and the Koreans seem to be the worse.

I'm pretty sure that lenzcrafter would like some detailed posts on instructor's experiences with various camera brands, and I would too.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#5 30-04-14 05:48:19

AUTAX
Verified Member

I have the BlackVue but the single lens model. I'm sure you can turn off the prompts John.

The pixalation can be a nuisance and I think it comes from the change in contrast; probably more noticeable in your country with the brighter conditions. On a cloudy day I don't seem to get the pixalation.

Make sure you are using Class 10 micro sd cards.

Fitted it to the windscreen of my Z3 when I went to Germany last year. Awesome.

Last edited by AUTAX (30-04-14 06:00:01)

Be Fear-less, go GEAR-LESS!

#6 30-04-14 06:28:59

kaf
Verified Member
Website

Zipper, if you go into the settings, you can switch off the voice.

#7 30-04-14 10:58:27

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Thanks guys, I tried to switch off everything in sight but didn't manage to find the option but it seems I might not have looked hard enough so I'll try again.
Thanks for the tip on class 10 micro SD cards Autax, I don't think mine are class 10 (off the shelf cheapies at a supermarket).

Last edited by Zipper (30-04-14 22:57:39)

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
www.drivingnt.com

#8 30-04-14 13:39:20

kaf
Verified Member
Website

If you can't find the options, give me a shout, I'll 'talk' you through them

#9 09-05-14 00:30:30

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

The documentation that came with my Blackvue kit suggested that the front camera be mounted at the top of the windscreen, behind the mirror - I liked this idea as the camera is almost out of sight and the "high up looking down" position should allow it to record objects in front of the car as close up as possible.
I soon learned not to put objects on the dash as the reflections show up badly in our bright sunlight, even the dash mat in my Swift is a nuisance because although it is black, the fibres have a slight sheen and this also interferes with the video.

I'm wondering if anyone mounts their cameras at bottom of the windscreen, level with the top of the dashboard?
I have a feeling there would be less blurring in this position (less glass to peer through?) and less problems with reflection off the dashboard.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
www.drivingnt.com

#10 09-05-14 15:32:47

AUTAX
Verified Member

Because of the wide angle lens john I think the bonnet will fill half the screen.

My camera is about 3/4 the way up.

#11 10-05-14 19:29:36

kaf
Verified Member
Website

Some people have used a polarised lens filter,to reduce reflections

#12 10-05-14 21:33:28

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

I thought of that but assumed there are no filters available in the size required

Last edited by Zipper (11-05-14 07:57:07)

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
www.drivingnt.com

#13 11-05-14 06:02:15

AUTAX
Verified Member

I'd be interested in that too kaf. How did they fit it? Or is their an option to purchase a dedicated lens?

#14 11-05-14 15:32:30

kaf
Verified Member
Website

Not done it myself.

Im assuming they have purchased a polarised filter for a camera and modified it to fit

#15 28-05-14 21:26:42

Shadgrind
Website

I got this...

It was just over 40 quid, front and rear cameras, supposed to have IR night vision mode but that didn't work, so I got some cash back! The night vision is rubbish anyway, so I heard, from a guy who reviews them on YouTube. The car headlights do a decent enough job at night! I get 720p HD the sound is OK too. I have posted a video of a hail storm on YouTube myself during a second ever lesson, it was so bad I was going to get him to stop before it cleared up. I think the quality is just fine for most occasions.

YouTube clip

Found the review too...  Here it is in fact this guy reviews quite a few dash cams on his channel, I actually subscribed.

Last edited by Shadgrind (29-05-14 06:50:34)

Going to the brink of death & back in a nine car pile-up, is much like making love to a beautiful woman. Brace yourself, hold tight & pray you make contact with her twin airbags as soon as possible big_smile

#16 29-05-14 21:18:02

Lynne
Verified Member

Thanks for that Shadgrind am looking to replace my (very) cheap dashcam soon it's a bit unreliable but can't complain it's lasted me a good few months and was good as a test product.  I would like a rear camera too so this seems to fit in the budget nicely. 

Am seriously going to look into this and the review was great too smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#17 06-06-14 16:22:21

la.monikita
Verified Member

Zipper wrote:

Has anyone apart from me tried the Blackvue cameras?
I have the Blackvue 550, I tried it because it has a front & rear camera integrated into the one system.
I'm not sure if I would recommend it though, because ...

*1* The quality doesn't seem to be as good as the clips on some internet reviews - the clips were very clear (taken on bright sunny days) and from memory I think they were all reviewing the single-camera system.
It's possible the addition of the rear facing camera is a bit too much workload for the system because there are occasional pixellated areas and overal image quality is not as clear as I had hoped, and my cameras are operating in extreme conditions such as tropical heat.

*2* The software is comprehensive but could be improved for easier use.
I couldn't view clips at all on my XP system, under Windows 7 they are viewable but I've noticed a few rear camera shots render as useless swathes of colour.

*3* The camera talks AND I CAN'T SHUT IT UP!
At startup: "Blackvue for your safe driving. Starting normal recording."
After a while: "WiFi off".
If the student stalls: "Blackvue shutting down".
After restart we go through it all again - it interrupts when we try to talk to each other.
Also while parking: "Parking mode enabled" or "Parking mode disabled".
Instructor: "SHUT THE EFF UP!!!" (not with students present of course).
I tried little chunks of pencil eraser taped over the speaker grill but it only drops the volume slightly.

Why is it that geeks who design technological wonders are so infatuated with their own abilities that they add useless stuff which gets in the way more often that not?
This is evident in many smart phones, and the Koreans seem to be the worse.

I'm pretty sure that lenzcrafter would like some detailed posts on instructor's experiences with various camera brands, and I would too.

Zipper, I had a little play with my camera. You can access it via the phone app which I hope you have. When you go to the settings you can change the volume to really low volume, so you can hardly hear it. When I tilted the cam a bit higher, not to see the bonnet or dash at all it seems not to have any glare. You can monitor what you are doing via the phones app on a life settings.

ps. how much is 1h driving lesson in your lands?

Last edited by la.monikita (06-06-14 16:23:07)

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

#18 08-06-14 10:44:31

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Thanks for the tips
I haven't found the volume settings on my phone yet but I haven't looked very hard, I always seem to be on a deadline when I get behind the wheel these days.
I've aimed the camera up a bit higher, it seems OK on my phone but I'll have to download some files onto my PC just to be sure.
I've yet to try class 10 cards as Auatx suggested but should get around that soon.

Hi la.monikita, I've checked out a currency converter site and listed some of the fees & charges for down here - to avoid hijacking lenzcrafter's thread I'll put it a new thread.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
www.drivingnt.com

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#19 09-06-14 19:48:50

la.monikita
Verified Member

Zipper wrote:

Thanks for the tips
I haven't found the volume settings on my phone yet but I haven't looked very hard, I always seem to be on a deadline when I get behind the wheel these days.
I've aimed the camera up a bit higher, it seems OK on my phone but I'll have to download some files onto my PC just to be sure.
I've yet to try class 10 cards as Auatx suggested but should get around that soon.

Hi la.monikita, I've checked out a currency converter site and listed some of the fees & charges for down here - to avoid hijacking lenzcrafter's thread I'll put it a new thread.

Zipper, all you need to do after logging on the app is to go to the settings top right, the you can access volume and some other stuff. Your prices are a lot higher than ours!

Mechmoan is rather good! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwjf-XEXCYo

Last edited by la.monikita (10-06-14 07:38:11)

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

Board footer