You are not logged in.

#1 20-04-14 09:09:10

butt2
Verified Member

First Standards Check

Last Tuesday I had a check under the new arrangements.  I was feeling more nervy than usual as I was concerned about how the new standards would affect the outcome.

The SE confirmed that I should simply conduct a normal lesson, which was my plan anyway, rather than trying to do anything special.

Having recapped our previous lesson the pupil wanted to do a lesson on the use of appropriate speed for dealing with hazards.

Before getting into the subject I outlined, discussed and agreed issues relating to the risks of public road lessons and the responsibilities for managing the risk.

I then used mainly Q&A to agree the objectives, discuss the main issues, practice (with a little talkthrough and prompted) and summarize at the end.

To be honest I didn't really know how I had fared although I knew Id worked pretty hard and hoped it was good enough to attain a grade.  It was a little more intense than a normal lesson because of the circumstances.

I was delighted but a little surprised to be get an A grade.

If anybody has any questions feel free to ask.

20-04-14 09:09:10

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: First Standards Check

#2 20-04-14 15:40:29

daz6215
Verified Member

What was your previous grade butt2? and what feedback did the examiner give? thanks.

#3 20-04-14 18:01:57

butt2
Verified Member

I was Grade 5 on last check test in 2009.

Feedback - ensure Q&A is two way in terms of giving time and listening to responses - apparently this improved as the check proceeded.
              - should have developed the lesson to consider improved looking at hazards but probably saved by the fact that we agreed this would be a subject for next lesson.
              - after an appropriate use of dual controls should have pulled up to discuss in more detail.
              - said lesson was a little intense and should build some breaks in.

Certainly could not disagree with any of the above as the lesson was a little bit over the top due to I suspect being overly nervous about being checked under the new standards.

#4 20-04-14 18:10:01

sofasurfer
Verified Member

What about the pupil, did they enjoy the lesson ?

#5 21-04-14 05:21:37

butt2
Verified Member

The summary at the end of the lesson certainly showed that she had understood the benefits of slower speed in through and out of hazards.

Also on the way home she said she felt happy with the slower speed as it gave her more time to think.

I don't think I actually asked her whether she enjoyed the session.  DOH!  This is something I do generally ask.

#6 21-04-14 20:15:03

steve@bdl

Hiya

Thanks for the write up.
I have my standards check coming up and was just hoping I could get you to expand on the risks of public road lessons and the risk management responsibility.

Thanks in advance

Steve

#7 22-04-14 09:30:13

butt2
Verified Member

The approach I took centered around a discussion on the risks associated with conducting lessons on public roads and responsibilities in respect of that risk. Getting acknowledgment that both parties have an initial responsibility and a changing responsibility as driving skills are developed.

#8 22-04-14 12:23:37

sofasurfer
Verified Member

Do you discuss the risks associated with lessons on public roads with every pupil on each lesson they have or did you introduce the topic just for the test ?

#9 22-04-14 18:46:42

butt2
Verified Member

No is the simple answer to that though I do regularly bring up the issue of driver responsibility. 

Having read the guidance notes for the standards check I realised that the whole issue of risk management had to be included as an essential part of the course of lessons and actually be highly evident on the standards check itself.

Last edited by butt2 (22-04-14 19:40:03)

#10 22-04-14 21:01:46

sofasurfer
Verified Member

Thanks, a very honest answer. I'm glad I won't be participating in any of this nonsense :-)

#11 23-04-14 09:18:06

ratty

Do you think there were any differences to the old type check test?

#12 24-04-14 05:06:01

butt2
Verified Member

I do think there is a difference to the old check test and mainly that is down to a change in emphasis on what is being marked.

I went out and gave a normal lesson plus a little extra for risk management.  However the change in emphasis suited my lesson style
which over the last couple of years has evolved into my perception of what client centered learning is.

Essentially I now work on the basis that most people know more than I think and my job is to extract what they know and
develop it into safe driving skills using varied techniques to achieve that.

I don't feel qualified to give specifics about what may or may not be different to the old check test but think it will be interesting to
see the feedback as more people go through the standards check.

#13 24-04-14 16:33:37

daz6215
Verified Member

Hi butt2, thanks for your feedback, what techniques are you using at the moment to extract information and develop the student?

#14 24-04-14 18:56:03

butt2
Verified Member

Any technique that gets the pupil engaged in the process: setting their own lesson plan, applying other relevant experience, Q&A, commentary, instructing the instructor,
games, trial & error, self auditing mistakes, home study, other driver analysis etc.

Board footer